The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Precision edit, arrow calibration.

EnerG
EnerG
✭✭✭✭✭
I absolutly love precision edit but certain furnishings are a b**** to rotate. Some platforms only rotate at angles and having to wrangle them to stand up straight is TOUGH, I end up making them kinda stright and in the place I want then fix later. I've noticed this, have you?

Precision edit, arrow calibration. 16 votes

Yes, I've noticed
81%
AlurriaSpell-SlingerInaMoonlightSeminolegirl1992SickleCiderRyath_Waylanderkatanagirl1bluebirdAndre_NoirTwinLampsmaximusrex45Rugby_hookCalyaina 13 votes
I've noticed but it's easy for me
6%
guul 1 vote
No, I've not noticed
6%
Dropstitch 1 vote
Litterally unplayable, lol
6%
VoodooPlatypus 1 vote
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I've noticed
    Yeah, so... :kissing:
    5pz2k7e57gb1.png

And yes, I'm mostly just meme-ing with the image. :sweat_smile: But honestly, for some reason the rotation axes in Precision Edit are so much harder to figure out!!! Take a nice rectangular platform for example, and you try to rotate it with Precision (because of course the regular Housing Editor can manage 89 and 91 degrees, but not 90 :lol: ), and you expect to finesse it to perfection. But instead of having a rotation along the edges or something (as you would intuitively expect), the precision rotation starts to rotate the item diagonally along one of the surfaces, and just at a random 51 degrees or some arbitrary degree. :no_mouth:

I too have been caught off-guard by this. I don't know if that's an issue with Precision Edit, or if it only affects some items (like some items sometimes have a wrong 'pickup' spot or whatever that makes them harder to place and align), or what. But yeah the Precision Edit axis often doesn't line up with the regular one so it can get jarring.
  • Dropstitch
    Dropstitch
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, I've not noticed
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean, especially with platforms, which never cause an issue.

I've noticed that objects need to be aligned on two planes or they start rotating around all three axis- but there is an easy fix- you just make a block with an item aligned in two planes and use that to rotate them. If that makes any sense.

For example, if you want to make a circle/ring out of a platform at this angle (in section) "\" ... all you need to do is make a block like this "_\" or "| \" and manipulate the "_" or "|" which is aligned on two planes.

I think EHT can circumvent this but I never explored it enough to find out.
    Edited by Dropstitch on May 10, 2021 9:31PM
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, I've noticed
    The worst case was one of the constellation tiles that would not lie flat on the wall but was instead oriented to lie flat on a table. It’s been awhile since I placed it, but it was like there is no way to rotate it from that flat-on-a-table to flat on the wall without it twisting one direction or another.

It almost seems like two of the different axis rotations have the same effect or two different rotations are being applied at the same time.

The three rotations should be a right-angle coordinate system. When you move something, you either move along the x-axis, y-axis, or z-axis. It should be the same for rotations, but it’s not.

I’ll try to remember to do some testing tomorrow and see if I can get some video of what I am trying to explain.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Ryath_Waylander
    Ryath_Waylander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I've noticed
    It's annoying but, if I want to pitch or roll the object (y or z axis) the first thing I do when precision editing, is to set the yaw (×/blue) to 0,90,180 or 270 degrees. This stops it moving in two planes when you try to level or tilt it. It drives me absolutely scatty that not all objects' tlit axes are along their centrelines. Don't even get me started as to why a house's main wall axis should be 232.5 degrees. WHY!!!! :p
  • maximusrex45
    maximusrex45
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I've noticed
    Houses with walls at weird angles that make knowing the degrees of a turn pretty pointless, and the massive amount of furniture, especially books, that don't have their X Y X axis line up with the mid points of the cover and spine are the most annoying thing ever when trying to place into a bookshelf. The first item that brough to my attention how terrible ZOS is with this is the long squared beam from Clockwork city, which defaults to a tall pole state, I wanted to lay it flat to hang things from, and the contortions I had to bring it through to get there were painful. I also wish the numbers for location were under the corresponding control in the UI.