The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Reconstructing a set?

Zama666
Zama666
✭✭✭✭
Hello,

I got some dungeon gear I like, but it has the wrong traits. I don't have enough transmute crystals.
Is there any way for me to make them myself? Or is transmuting the only way to do it?

Tanks,

Z
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dropped Sets must be Reconstructed. If you have collected enough pieces, it costs less stones to Reconstruct rather than Transmute. You will need the upgrade tempers and mats. Not sure if the temper passives help or not, they probably do.

Wear the item to collect it.

And, don't sweat the traits all that much, the set bonuses are way more impactful to your output.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Dropped Sets must be Reconstructed. If you have collected enough pieces, it costs less stones to Reconstruct rather than Transmute. You will need the upgrade tempers and mats. Not sure if the temper passives help or not, they probably do.

And, don't sweat the traits all that much, the set bonuses are way more impactful to your output.

How do I reconstruct them? Just go to a Black Smith station and create them?
  • Dragonredux
    Dragonredux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zama666 wrote: »

You need a transmute station. Either use the one in Clockwork City, or if you're in a guild that has one their home.
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭

You need a transmute station. Either use the one in Clockwork City, or if you're in a guild that has one their home.

Do I still need transmute stones?
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Do I still need transmute stones?

50 transmute stones to change trait of an existing item. 25 to 75 transmute stones to create a new item from scratch. It depends on how many pieces of the set you have collected. Most sets have something like 22 pieces available (chest, gloves, dagger, ring, etc., etc.). The more you have collected, the less transmutes to recreate any single piece.

For jewelry, the 50 transmute to change trait is generally preferred, even if you could recreate for 25. Creating a new ring/necklace from scratch requires the upgrade mats, which are very expensive for jewelry, so people like to change an existing item.
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You also need to know the trait you want to reconstruct the gear to be. Always have your character learning traits, even traits you think you will never use.
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ackwalan wrote: »
    You also need to know the trait you want to reconstruct the gear to be. Always have your character learning traits, even traits you think you will never use.

oh dear, I have to get dungeoning....a lot more
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trait Research Strategy

Yes, use Drop Sets for now, and Yes, level your crafting skills and do the Trait Research. Traits are why you craft as they allow you to make Special Crafted Sets. There are two sets in the game that your going to want to make, Julianos for your Magic Characters, and Hundings Rage for your Stamina Characters. There are no better sets in the game to have 5 pieces of. Period. Well, Twice Born Star is great to, but your a year out from making that. But you need to start learning your traits now.

While it takes 6 traits known to be able to make Hundings or Julianos, 9 Traits for Twice Born Star. You don't need to know learn all of these traits on everything before you craft anything. In fact, there are nice sets that you only need to know 2 or 3 or 4 traits to make. So, learn 2 traits first, then 3 etc. This way you can be making set items in just a few days. So, start learning those traits. Focus on the gear you will use first, then fill in the rest later. This means:

Casters
    Heavy Chest/Legs
    Light Feet/Hands/Waist
    Shoulders and Heads are good too, but there are 2 Piece Monster sets that can take up those slots. So learn the traits on Head and Shoulder pieces for Transmuting later, but prioritize the ones above.
    Staves (all 4 of them)

Stamina
    All Medium Armors
    Daggers, Swords, Axes, Bow

Tanks
    All Heavy Armors, Sword and Shield and maybe Staves (Ice is your tanking stick). Can add in Axes or Maces for the weapons if you want.
    For Armors, Sturdy, then Divines, Infused, Reinforced. Same with Shields but Nirn can be nice on a Shield.
    For Weapons, Infused, Sharpened, Defending. Charged for the Staff.

Learn Training, Divines and Infused on the Armors first, Sharpened, Precise, Infused and Training on the Weapons. Powered is good for the Healing Staff, Defending is good for Sword or other one handed Melee. Then fill in the rest until you have 6 traits on each piece of gear you will use. Eventually you will learn all 9 traits. Some people recommend Nirn as an early trait to learn. Unless they change it, don't listen to them. You might use it on a Shield or a Weapon but that is about it. You need it someday, but it's expensive and you need your gold for other things.

Invest the skill points into the Research Passives. I can't stress enough how much of a time sink Trait Research is. Be able to learn more than one at a time, and reduce the time needed. Get an addon for Trait Research Tracking, I recommend Craft Store. If your on the Consoles, find one of the spreadsheets out there or make one to track this. Have I mentioned you need to learn your traits?
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"