The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Nirnhoned mace vs sword

Mr_Gallows
Mr_Gallows
✭✭✭
A nirnhoned mace gets +200 WD
You get +142 WD from blade&blunt per sword.

Still when I compare them, the sword gives +123 WD compared to the nirnhoned mace. That does not make sense.

This is in the off hand slot. In the main hand it works like expected.

Why?

In the main hand there is an expexted advantage to the nirnhoned mace.

In the off hand the swords wins hands down.

It's like the damage bonus you get from DW for the off hand ignores nirnhoned, even though it is very clearly added directly to the weapons base damage. This is some really crappy esoteric math. It should be cleaned up or should be fixed if it is a bug.

Checked skill tooltip too. It falls in line with the weird result above.
Edited by Mr_Gallows on May 8, 2021 5:44PM
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer is simple: nirnhorned trait is part of the weapon so off-hand it gives you only 23%?

The sword bonus from passives is something completely different...
  • Mr_Gallows
    Mr_Gallows
    ✭✭✭
    Ippokrates wrote: »
    Answer is simple: nirnhorned trait is part of the weapon so off-hand it gives you only 23%?

Oh... so if mixing weappns it's best to have the sword in the off hand? And nirnhoned is a waste on the off hand. Cheers.
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Gallows wrote: »

Oh... so if mixing weappns it's best to have the sword in the off hand? And nirnhoned is a waste on the off hand. Cheers.

It depends on build, to certain values better get dagger or mace, but it you have sufficient weapon crit & penetration, sword is the best ;)
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it’s a little strange how it works. Nirnhoned adds to the weapon’s tooltip damage. When you dual wield your weapon damage is calculated by the full main hand weapon’s tooltip damage + a small % of the off hand weapon’s damage. Adding Nirnhoned to the offhand results in only a small % of the trait having any effect, so any other off-hand weapon trait is better. The inverse is also true, where a main hand nirnhoned trait is powerful with dual wield because it gives the same 200 weapon damage as it would with a bow or staff (other traits would be half-strength on a 1h weapon).

The weapon damage from swords is different. That is sourced from the twin blade and blunt passive, not the weapon itself (the tooltip damage on a sword is the same as a mace, dagger or axe). It makes no difference which hand the sword is in, this value is simply added on to your weapon damage.
  • Mr_Gallows
    Mr_Gallows
    ✭✭✭

Yes, it’s a little strange how it works. Nirnhoned adds to the weapon’s tooltip damage. When you dual wield your weapon damage is calculated by the full main hand weapon’s tooltip damage + a small % of the off hand weapon’s damage. Adding Nirnhoned to the offhand results in only a small % of the trait having any effect, so any other off-hand weapon trait is better. The inverse is also true, where a main hand nirnhoned trait is powerful with dual wield because it gives the same 200 weapon damage as it would with a bow or staff (other traits would be half-strength on a 1h weapon).

The weapon damage from swords is different. That is sourced from the twin blade and blunt passive, not the weapon itself (the tooltip damage on a sword is the same as a mace, dagger or axe). It makes no difference which hand the sword is in, this value is simply added on to your weapon damage.

Thank you. I like a mace/sword combo for the build I am working on to balance WD and penetration. It does make sense now. I guess if my mace wasn't Nirnhoned it wouldn't matter where I put the sword 🙂

Good stuff... cheers for the explanation. I wish the game made the calculation clear... if the off hand contributes with 20% for instance 🙂

Then again a lot of the calculations in eso are math voodoo 🤣