The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Mag or stamblade

Russvaj
Russvaj
✭✭
I made a post in reddit aswell but i thought i should here aswell for more answers

Currently i am 500 cp magblade hitting 67k parses and i am thinking about switching for the sake of playing something new and improving on my dps So the question is if i follow builds on the net getting kinras, relo gear all devines and maelstrom daggers bow would i be hitting any higher my current LA weave is 0.08 sec wasted between skill casts
  • PigofSteel
    PigofSteel
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you are bored go for stamina.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamina hits a bit harder than magicka, so on a dummy you will hit higher, but magicka got more cleave. Next patch it might change though.
  • xCezi
    xCezi
    Soul Shriven
    While stam does hit harder, you might experience the opposite in actual content. Mag tends to have an easier time dpsing while navigating mechanics, so there might be a drop off if you decide to go stam.
  • RedFireDisco
    RedFireDisco
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stamblade is superior

Magblade is good if you want to permacloak

If you're pvp'ing then it's Stamblade all the way
  • MirandaSharp
    MirandaSharp
    ✭✭✭✭
    xCezi wrote: »
    While stam does hit harder, you might experience the opposite in actual content. Mag tends to have an easier time dpsing while navigating mechanics, so there might be a drop off if you decide to go stam.

I agree. Stamina/melee is harder to play as you need to dodge/move/block etc much more while working with mechanics to not die.. Mag characters can more easily keep some distance and still do good damage. I'd say just give it a try and see if you like the playstyle...
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russvaj wrote: »
    I made a post in reddit aswell but i thought i should here aswell for more answers

Currently i am 500 cp magblade hitting 67k parses and i am thinking about switching for the sake of playing something new and improving on my dps So the question is if i follow builds on the net getting kinras, relo gear all devines and maelstrom daggers bow would i be hitting any higher my current LA weave is 0.08 sec wasted between skill casts

If your goal is to pull more DPS in PVE combat, my advice would not be to role a stamblade. Sure they pull a bit more damage on paper, but at your CP, you are going to bring more mechanics into play and have more issues with survivability. The rotations are similar in the sense that both revolve around relentless/merciless. Nightblades (stam and mag) are the two hardest rotations in the game. Stamblades I believe do a bit better with a static rotation than Mageblades.

Right now, Stamblades are about 5k-6 ahead of mageblades on a trial dummy, but to get there, they are highly gear dependent. You are likely going to need Kinras, Relequen, Black rose Daggers and VDSA Daggers. The Double dagger setup means its melee or nothing. You can also go Bow Bow, but again, you need a Blackrose and VMA bow (and you will still be in melee range for execute). Either way, you need some gear (maybe you already have it).

.08 LA weave is pretty good. To be candid, your parse is lower than I would expect with that at your CP. My guess is your main issue is not the weave, but the ability to manage a dynamic rotation (which is the much harder part). Magic Nightblades especially dont do as well as some other classes with a static rotation.

I would suggest a magic necromancer if you want more DPS. My guess is you would see a bigger increase than going to a stamblade, and they can be play very well with a static rotation. If you dont want to role another toon and would rather just race change, by all means give it ago, but dont be surprised if you dont see much of an improvement, especially if you dont have the above gear.
  • Russvaj
    Russvaj
    ✭✭

If your goal is to pull more DPS in PVE combat, my advice would not be to role a stamblade. Sure they pull a bit more damage on paper, but at your CP, you are going to bring more mechanics into play and have more issues with survivability. The rotations are similar in the sense that both revolve around relentless/merciless. Nightblades (stam and mag) are the two hardest rotations in the game. Stamblades I believe do a bit better with a static rotation than Mageblades.

Right now, Stamblades are about 5k-6 ahead of mageblades on a trial dummy, but to get there, they are highly gear dependent. You are likely going to need Kinras, Relequen, Black rose Daggers and VDSA Daggers. The Double dagger setup means its melee or nothing. You can also go Bow Bow, but again, you need a Blackrose and VMA bow (and you will still be in melee range for execute). Either way, you need some gear (maybe you already have it).

.08 LA weave is pretty good. To be candid, your parse is lower than I would expect with that at your CP. My guess is your main issue is not the weave, but the ability to manage a dynamic rotation (which is the much harder part). Magic Nightblades especially dont do as well as some other classes with a static rotation.

I would suggest a magic necromancer if you want more DPS. My guess is you would see a bigger increase than going to a stamblade, and they can be play very well with a static rotation. If you dont want to role another toon and would rather just race change, by all means give it ago, but dont be surprised if you dont see much of an improvement, especially if you dont have the above gear.

update: i made a sorc and i love it for pvp but parses are a bit smaller in numbers compared to my magblade currnetly can hit 75k with a magblade with medusa BSW i found out that i do more damage than with medusa and mother sorrow about 7k diffrence becouse of all the crit you gain from those 2 sets its just too much to be optimal in my opinion and i could try going for siroria got inferno and all jewelry but i am not in here tryign to get the highest parse i rather focus on seeing my real dmg in real situations

with a sorc i can hit 70k with a setup of 2 pets medusa and mother sorrow didnt try BSW on him yet but i would think i could get as high as my nightblade if not higher just becouse of how much easier their rorations are

as in a stamblade end game gear i have everything but vateshran daggers since i havent done that arena at all but once i get enough transmute crystals to make the gear devines for my stamblade i will get into farming that dagger just to see if i like the stamblade more
  • ForeverJenn
    ForeverJenn
    ✭✭✭
    Neither. They're both garbage atm. But opinions vary.
    Edited by ForeverJenn on May 18, 2021 8:13PM
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

update: i made a sorc and i love it for pvp but parses are a bit smaller in numbers compared to my magblade currnetly can hit 75k with a magblade with medusa BSW i found out that i do more damage than with medusa and mother sorrow about 7k diffrence becouse of all the crit you gain from those 2 sets its just too much to be optimal in my opinion and i could try going for siroria got inferno and all jewelry but i am not in here tryign to get the highest parse i rather focus on seeing my real dmg in real situations

with a sorc i can hit 70k with a setup of 2 pets medusa and mother sorrow didnt try BSW on him yet but i would think i could get as high as my nightblade if not higher just becouse of how much easier their rorations are

as in a stamblade end game gear i have everything but vateshran daggers since i havent done that arena at all but once i get enough transmute crystals to make the gear devines for my stamblade i will get into farming that dagger just to see if i like the stamblade more

@Russvaj

Mag sorc is also a great option. I think it is the easiest class in both PVE and PVP to break into competitive end game.

In the current meta, my personal best two classes for raw damage are Mag Sorc and Mag Necro. I have not parsed on any stamina characters in about 6 months. I am certain a few specs would probably be a few K ahead of my mag classes, but I just prefer magic in PVE. Sorc is also thriving in the no proc meta in PVP. I would expect them to feel a bit weaker once proc sets are returned to Cyro, but no secret, I love mag sorc in PVP. The reason I give the nod to magcro over sorc in PVE is more AOE and better group utility with the attro ult. They also have more flexible bars than a sorc, and work better with a static rotation.

If you want to discuss mag sorc rotation, I am more than happy to. There are a couple of different ways to get close to the same result. My guess is with a little practice, you will see your sorc parse pull ahead of your mageblade parse.

As to gear, if really trying to max a parse, its MS (crit) and Siroria (spell damage). If you have the Siroria staff and jewelry, I would say go for it. Medusa is a great utility set, it means you dont need to mess with Barbed trap, but if trying to maximize DPS, it is not optimal. I dont like the double crit setups (medusa and MS). I am not surprised you get better results with Medusa/BSW. BSW as a spell damage set, it's just not as good as Siroria. Siroria has more spell damage and minor slayer. You would likely get better damage with Medusa/Siroria, and even better damage MS/Siroria (and trap). My sorc hits about 98k with MS/Siroria/Zaan, and the really good players are north of 100k. My LA ratio is about .92 when I dont screwup.

As for Siroria specifically, there are no issues using it in real content. Don't believe anyone that says its only for target dummies. They are wrong.

People make far too big a deal about building stacks and movement. If you follow the simple advice of "move when you have to, otherwise stand still" Siroria is the best mag DPS set for virtually every fight in the game, even fights with a fair amount of movement. I run Siroria Front bar and Medusa body as my go to for the vast majority of content. If I know I can be in melee range and dont need a heal/shield, I drop medusa for MS and slot trap. Only time I drop siroria are on certain portal mechanics or when solo, and usually, I replace it with False God. Less damage, more utility.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on May 18, 2021 8:12PM
  • Russvaj
    Russvaj
    ✭✭

@Russvaj

Mag sorc is also a great option. I think it is the easiest class in both PVE and PVP to break into competitive end game.

In the current meta, my personal best two classes for raw damage are Mag Sorc and Mag Necro. I have not parsed on any stamina characters in about 6 months. I am certain a few specs would probably be a few K ahead of my mag classes, but I just prefer magic in PVE. Sorc is also thriving in the no proc meta in PVP. I would expect them to feel a bit weaker once proc sets are returned to Cyro, but no secret, I love mag sorc in PVP. The reason I give the nod to magcro over sorc in PVE is more AOE and better group utility with the attro ult. They also have more flexible bars than a sorc, and work better with a static rotation.

If you want to discuss mag sorc rotation, I am more than happy to. There are a couple of different ways to get close to the same result. My guess is with a little practice, you will see your sorc parse pull ahead of your mageblade parse.

As to gear, if really trying to max a parse, its MS (crit) and Siroria (spell damage). If you have the Siroria staff and jewelry, I would say go for it. Medusa is a great utility set, it means you dont need to mess with Barbed trap, but if trying to maximize DPS, it is not optimal. I dont like the double crit setups (medusa and MS). I am not surprised you get better results with Medusa/BSW. BSW as a spell damage set, it's just not as good as Siroria. Siroria has more spell damage and minor slayer. You would likely get better damage with Medusa/Siroria, and even better damage MS/Siroria (and trap). My sorc hits about 98k with MS/Siroria/Zaan, and the really good players are north of 100k. My LA ratio is about .92 when I dont screwup.

As for Siroria specifically, there are no issues using it in real content. Don't believe anyone that says its only for target dummies. They are wrong.

People make far too big a deal about building stacks and movement. If you follow the simple advice of "move when you have to, otherwise stand still" Siroria is the best mag DPS set for virtually every fight in the game, even fights with a fair amount of movement. I run Siroria Front bar and Medusa body as my go to for the vast majority of content. If I know I can be in melee range and dont need a heal/shield, I drop medusa for MS and slot trap. Only time I drop siroria are on certain portal mechanics or when solo, and usually, I replace it with False God. Less damage, more utility.

okay you gotta give me some advice either overhere or on discord becouse i tried parsing with my magsorc with siroria and ms and got to 70k parses while doing 0.86 LA so i must be donig something wrong (i would have about 0.95 if i knew how to get around barswapping after channeled acceleration or throwing a la and then bar swapping) dont know havent messed with it that much just did 1 parse and went on my way as i got to the numbers ppl are looking for for vet trials whitch is 70k i know that i wasted 0.52 secs on channeled acceleration while i was 0.01 or 0.02 sec wasted on every other skill when i looked at combat metrics repot
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Russvaj

okay you gotta give me some advice either overhere or on discord becouse i tried parsing with my magsorc with siroria and ms and got to 70k parses while doing 0.86 LA so i must be donig something wrong (i would have about 0.95 if i knew how to get around barswapping after channeled acceleration or throwing a la and then bar swapping) dont know havent messed with it that much just did 1 parse and went on my way as i got to the numbers ppl are looking for for vet trials whitch is 70k i know that i wasted 0.52 secs on channeled acceleration while i was 0.01 or 0.02 sec wasted on every other skill when i looked at combat metrics repot

Don't run CA when parsing. If you want to flirt with some cheese, you can cast pre fight and swap to trap before you pull, but trap is the skill you cast for Minor Force during the rotation.

Next thing you have to determine is whether or not you use a spammable like Elemental Weapon, or if you simply want to use Frags as a spammable. The best parses I have seen use frags as a spammable. Its a .8 second cast time, but it can be weaved within the global cooldown. The issue is that if you swap off of a frags hard cast (not an issue with an insta cast), you will lose time, so you need to swap off of either a frags proc, or another skill.

If you want to use frags as a spammable, I suggest you start with a static rotation. This ensures that you never swap off of frags, and static rotations are usually easier to master. The downsides to a static rotation are, non-optimal buff uptimes, and potentially missing out on Frag Procs. This is the best one I have found. I hit about 98k with it with a little RNG and about a .92 sec LA/Ratio. Its capable of 100k+:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4p1Bp_O5xo

If you want to play Dynamically, I suggest starting with ele weapon as a spammable, and only cast frags when they proc for instant cast. Ele weapon is about 2k behind just using frags. You lose a DOT(or spot for a shield) using ele weapon, but the rotation is easier.

When I run ele weapon as a spammable and play dynamically, my bars typically go:

1. Ele Weapon, Frags, Daedric Prey, Volatile Familiar, Twilight Tormentor, Greater Storm Attro
    2. Unstable Wall, Trap, Boundless Storm, Volatile Familiar, Twilight Tormentor, Greater Storm Attro

Basically center your rotation around Daedric prey. I think of it as a 6 count with Prey always on the 1. The only exception is that if a frag procs and its time to cast prey, cast frags first. Everything else, is on cooldown. Dont recast Twilight Tormentor, just cast pre fight.

The best guide I have seen on sorc parsing is from Revelx. I play with him from time to time and he is an absolute freak, both in his ability to press buttons, and in his knowledge of ESO combat. I highly recommend anyone new to sorc watch his video (he also has a great Magcro Guide). Its from last patch, but it is all perfectly relevant other than the CP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2KM3Ia_XcM&t=0s

You can certainly play dynamically with frags as a spammable, but its tricky to master. Here is another one from RevelX this patch, dont believe I have seen higher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dITBJ5_aTsc

Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on May 19, 2021 12:47AM