The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Vampire appearances bugged for 7 years. Will this ever be fixed?

RealJobasha
RealJobasha
✭✭✭
(repost (kinda, edited out the unnecessary and unconstructive drive-by sarcastic and passive aggressive remarks and added in extra details) from general discussion, apparently I'm blind and didn't see the bug reports forum)

Yes, bugged. And I don't say this only because ZOS has stated that they only change the appearance of things already in game unless there's a visual bug, but because it's genuinely a visual bug. There's absolutely no reason why the paleness layer should be above face and body markings. When my character (theoretically) puts on black lipstick in the morning (or evening, given she's a vampire), why would the black substance suddenly turn pale gray just because she's a vampire? Here's an example:

how it looks in game (left) vs. how it should look, after image editing (right)
vampire_layer_issue.png

It seems like common sense and something that should have been done with Greymoor, the chapter that focuses on *vampires*. Besides, the fix is probably as simple as editing the vampirerace properties like in Skyrim's Creation Kit that would only take 30 seconds to do and could be packaged in an incremental update. Or, and I don't know the development process, rearranging skin overlays to put the vampire layer near the bottom layers that get overwritten by successive layers which would take an equally short amount of time.

To oversimplify the actual process and put it visually, this is basically what I mean.
vampirelayers.jpg

The previous dismission of this obvious mistake in development has been that it's an aesthetic choice, but aesthetic choices are like putting faint red veins in the vampire texture, not accidentally putting the overlay overtop other layers, washing them out. I already gave the example of why lipstick wouldn't suddenly become pale gray when someone becomes a vampire. That lipstick is not part of one's skin, it's a substance one puts on their skin. Same can be said for warpaints and tattoos, since tattoos don't actually dye your skin, they're pockets of ink (which is, again, a substance, not your body) underneath your skin, otherwise tattoos would disappear in a week when your skin naturally sheds.

This is absolutely serious, despite being funny in an absurdist humor way, if you want to hire me, I'll *pay you* to train me and work *for free* to fix these sort of minor easy-fix bugs that get overlooked due, likely, to budget and time constraints. I guess my resume would be a mod portfolio and familiarity with Skyrim's and Oblivion's Creation Kit and Construction Set, respectively.