The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Trapping Webs. Does it need a rework?

MindOfTheSwarm
MindOfTheSwarm
✭✭✭✭✭
I had an idea that Spider Silk morph would instead reverse the proc from the skill while Tangling Webs would stay as is and double down on the CC aspect. Here is my suggestion.

Trapping Webs: Remove the distance requisite from the synergy. Leave the base ability as is.

Tangling Webs: Increase the area size to 6 meters and increase the snare to 70%. The Arachnophobia synergy would keep its fear but also reduce the Armor of enemies hit by 2500. Giving it utility in trials. The rest of the ability would remain the same.

Spider Silk: Reverse the skill and synergy. Like this:
Summon a spider that attacks your target. The spider bites enemies for 887 Physical Damage and can poison them for 5910 Poison Damage over 10 seconds. The spider remains until killed or unsummoned. A nearby ally can activate the Black Widow synergy causing the spider to instantly deal an extra 2500 Poison Damage to its target and wrap them in a web rooting them for 2 seconds.

This would give one morph better utility in trials and the other morph more use on the bars of players who want more damage from an under used skill. This would allow both Stamdens and Stamsorcs have 2 pets like Magsorcs. Making Stam pet builds viable.

This ability has had issues in like forever. It's time it got made into something useful.

Trapping Webs. Does it need a rework? 17 votes

Yes, it needs a rework but not the way you suggested.
52%
TankHealz2015Caim12ESO_NightingaleWyrd88MellowMagicAraneae6537FennwittyVox_PopuliZefyron 9 votes
Yes, and 1 or more of your suggestions are good.
35%
NyteshadehondelinkJidorahYandereGirlfriendRyuvainJoSePHRiNG 6 votes
No, the ability is fine as is.
11%
TheUndeadAmuletCongrolios 2 votes
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    These skills need something to spice them up for sure.

Sometimes you see tanks using them to chip in some token DPS but it's always stuck me as of questionable utility.

I like your idea for providing the spider pet up front rather than having to rely upon the synergy. It would be a nice change that would also grant universal access to a pet (for however much that's worth but it would not be unhelpful for build diversity).

I also very much agree that the radius must be increased to 6 meters. I honestly have no idea what ZOS is thinking with these various micro-AoEs (e.g. DK Ash Cloud, Fighter's Guild Turn Evil, this skill, etc.) as those small sizes are just not useful in actual gameplay situations.

Trapping Webs, for example, would have great utility with a larger range as perhaps the game's only long-range, instant, AoE stun (the power would be justified since it requires a synergy to activate).
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't Shadow Silk already super powerful, as long as somebody actually activates the synergy? Also, the huge reliance on the synergy to be good is kind of the theme of the whole Undaunted skill line, so I can't really see ZOS swapping the main effect and the synergy like you suggest.

I don't really have an opinion on Trapping Webs, but ZOS definitely seems to have an aversion to ground-based AoE skills with CC effects having large radii (with the exception of Caltrops, which apparently needed a buff).
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't Shadow Silk already super powerful, as long as somebody actually activates the synergy? Also, the huge reliance on the synergy to be good is kind of the theme of the whole Undaunted skill line, so I can't really see ZOS swapping the main effect and the synergy like you suggest.

I don't really have an opinion on Trapping Webs, but ZOS definitely seems to have an aversion to ground-based AoE skills with CC effects having large radii (with the exception of Caltrops, which apparently needed a buff).

The issue is that people don’t activate the synergy as its range requirement is absurd. I left Tangling Webs as the utility version and improved it for trials by giving it some armor removal. The Shadow Silk change was to crest build diversity. In trials people will prefer the Tangling Webs morph for its utility.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it needs a rework but not the way you suggested.
    I meant to select that one or more of your suggestions are good, such as removing the range requirement on the synergy. No definite opinion on the rest.

One thing I do have a definite opinion on is that Trapping Webs should summon SPIDERS, NOT HOARVORS! How many people want to make a tick-themed character??? I wanted to at least have one spider themed ability! :weary: No spider abilities and not even Selene’s helm summons a spider, even though that is her main theme, but instead, a bear. :disappointed:

(Edited for typo.)
    Edited by Araneae6537 on April 28, 2021 6:22AM
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    One thing I do have a definite opinion on is that Trapping Webs should summon SPIDERS, NOR HOARVORS! How many people want to make a tick-themed character??? I wanted to at least have one spider themed ability! :weary: No spider abilities and not even Selene’s helm summons a spider, even though that is her main theme, but instead, a bear. :disappointed:

That's a very good point.

I kind of like Hoarvors (and the pet is super rare to see these days) but it's true that it's false advertising. A Spider Ability ought to create a spider pet. And it should do all Poison Damage to fit the theme rather than being split between Physical Damage and Poison Damage.
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I meant to select that one or more of your suggestions are good, such as removing the range requirement on the synergy. No definite opinion on the rest.

One thing I do have a definite opinion on is that Trapping Webs should summon SPIDERS, NOR HOARVORS! How many people want to make a tick-themed character??? I wanted to at least have one spider themed ability! :weary: No spider abilities and not even Selene’s helm summons a spider, even though that is her main theme, but instead, a bear. :disappointed:

Yeah, I hear you a spider themed build is possible though. Switch Selene's for Mephala.
  • Ryuvain
    Ryuvain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I like this ability but it being so wonky means the synergy being used is so rare. The range restriction being removed would already help a lot.

The spider summon morph I would love to have. The original synergy creates a pet, but the owner is whoever used the synergy, not the ability user. That means it can't really be used together with sets and such.
    That one khajiit obsessed with werewolf behemoth and vampire lord. Lady Thorn is bae, dont @ me.
    Werewolf behemoth=vampire lord>blood scion>werewolf>vampire.
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ryuvain wrote: »
    Yeah, I like this ability but it being so wonky means the synergy being used is so rare. The range restriction being removed would already help a lot.

The spider summon morph I would love to have. The original synergy creates a pet, but the owner is whoever used the synergy, not the ability user. That means it can't really be used together with sets and such.

Yeah I agree. It would give everyone a universal pet while at the same time make stam pet builds viable.