The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

The "Libs" are completely out of hand!

maddiniiLuna
maddiniiLuna
✭✭✭✭
For every Addon I install it requires 5 - 10 Libs. I have more Libraries, then Addons. It is very annoying to also install the Libraries. I used to be able to just one click install an Addon (in Minion) and it would work. Please stop making Libraries for absolutely everything! I understand, that there is a value in having a shared Lib, but there is a lot of things that could be already included in the addon.
  • deleted210809-001958
    duplication of code is a bad practice in developer's world (and there are reasons for it). so it's not about addons but about good and bad practices of programming. your report should be addressed to minion's developers to provide a functionality to download an addon and all dependencies with 1 click
    Edited by deleted210809-001958 on April 26, 2021 8:46AM
  • M0R_Gaming
    M0R_Gaming
    ✭✭✭
    Think about it this way - if each addon had its own code for creating a menu for your settings (libAddonMenu2.0), then that would use up significantly more resources and your game would lag much more. It would also be a nightmare from the user's standpoint because there would be no 'standard' way to access the settings, each addon would have a different way.

Though, I do agree with Kyatos and wish that minion pre downloads all the dependencies.

Another use for libraries, it allows someone to use a portion of someone else's code without needing to go digging to see how it works - for example in my latest addon, I used a library called lib3Darrow, which creates an arrow to a waypoint in the 3d world. Rather than me having to spend time learning the system and writing specialized code, I can instead use what someone else created for a different addon.
    • PC/NA - PvP/PvE AD Magsorc main
    • Former Emp, All HMs but DSR
    My addons
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It also means it's quicker to get updated because someone just needs to update the one library, and then all the addons which use it are updated too.

I agree there's a lot of them (I only have about 14 addons installed and I have a similar number of libraries) but there are good reasons for it and aside from a few extra steps when downloading a new addon I don't think it causes any problems.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep and if all devs would not include the libs but let you install them via Minion once you would only need to do this once and are able to update all via Minion as well. I'm not sure what the problem is, can only guess you are not using Minion?
    Or is it the one time effort you need to invest to "read" the actually needed libs of addons you install?

See the positive effects: only one update in one folder (if devs use the libs the correct way: not hard-coded calls from the addon txt file, and no shipped libraries in subfolders of the addons without the txt file of the lib itself).
    Most libs are reused by other addons so you do not need to install it again.
    Only 1 thing to fix at 1 folder if something is broken.

But I'm with you if you say some libs are nonsense, like creating a lib for 1 addon only (if the libs purpose is something like providing special functions only for this addon! If it's something like a motif collection lib which could be reused in multiple addons, it's totally valid and welcome to create a lib for it).
    Edited by Baertram on April 30, 2021 9:36PM
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just Download all the libs and let them sit there. Since Libs are not "executables" like addons "are." If they are needed, fine if not, fine. That way, I always have the Libs for any addons I Download.