The Firesong DLC and Update 36 base game patch are now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

How to start with storyline

HyekAr
HyekAr
✭✭✭
Hi,

I am a new player in this world, the other day I found a video in Youtube which says that there is a quest line depending on the zone,
i would like to ask someone, where should I start, I almost finished the western skrym, but now, I want to go to the beggining area to keep on story line from start.. I know I should ve done this before finishing western skrym, but I just discovered now that I did wrong.

I bought the Greymoor edition, with his 4 chapters, can someone tell me the storyline zones, I mean where should I start, and where should I go after finishing each zone to be stick to the storyline

Thank You
  • Julia_Nix
    Julia_Nix
    ✭✭✭
    1)Talk to the hooded figure for the main story quest in Auridon, Glenumbra or Stonefalls depends on your faction.

    2)after doing the first quest you will be sent to the area where you can start the quest of your faction. (also do side quests and the mages and fighters guild quests)

    3)after main story quest and faction zones quest do Cadwell's silver and gold quests (basically the other factions quests).

    4)now come the DLCs and chapters in that order: Imperial City, Orsinium, Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, Morrowind, Clockwork City, Summerset, Elsweyr, Dragonhold, Greymoor, Markarth.

    (I did not include the Dungeon DLCs)


    In my opinion what they did with the new chapters, as starting zones for new players, makes no sense and ruins the story flow for them. Also when you do the new chapters NPCs will comment on your past adventures.
  • HyekAr
    HyekAr
    ✭✭✭
    Julia_Nix wrote: »
    1)Talk to the hooded figure for the main story quest in Auridon, Glenumbra or Stonefalls depends on your faction.

    2)after doing the first quest you will be sent to the area where you can start the quest of your faction. (also do side quests and the mages and fighters guild quests)

    3)after main story quest and faction zones quest do Cadwell's silver and gold quests (basically the other factions quests).

    4)now come the DLCs and chapters in that order: Imperial City, Orsinium, Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, Morrowind, Clockwork City, Summerset, Elsweyr, Dragonhold, Greymoor, Markarth.

    (I did not include the Dungeon DLCs)


    In my opinion what they did with the new chapters, as starting zones for new players, makes no sense and ruins the story flow for them. Also when you do the new chapters NPCs will comment on your past adventures.

    Yes I watch a video and the guy said that the new born zone is not the right with the storyline. I am nighblade Darkelf, so I have to go to the Stonefalls and do the zone quests

    (my way of playing is first doing the 2ndry quests, then finishing the zone with the main quest. what do u think? is this good way? or first the main then the secundary?)
    Edited by HyekAr on April 19, 2021 7:06PM
  • Crazyprophet
    Crazyprophet
    ✭✭✭
    If you're interested in playing the game in chronological order - I'd HIGHLY suggest following this guide. It helped me when I was a new player in the Elsweyr days!

    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/525351/a-clear-step-by-step-guide-to-playing-eso-in-chronological-order
  • Julia_Nix
    Julia_Nix
    ✭✭✭
    HyekAr wrote: »
    Julia_Nix wrote: »
    1)Talk to the hooded figure for the main story quest in Auridon, Glenumbra or Stonefalls depends on your faction.

    2)after doing the first quest you will be sent to the area where you can start the quest of your faction. (also do side quests and the mages and fighters guild quests)

    3)after main story quest and faction zones quest do Cadwell's silver and gold quests (basically the other factions quests).

    4)now come the DLCs and chapters in that order: Imperial City, Orsinium, Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, Morrowind, Clockwork City, Summerset, Elsweyr, Dragonhold, Greymoor, Markarth.

    (I did not include the Dungeon DLCs)


    In my opinion what they did with the new chapters, as starting zones for new players, makes no sense and ruins the story flow for them. Also when you do the new chapters NPCs will comment on your past adventures.

    Yes I watch a video and the guy said that the new born zone is not the right with the storyline. I am nighblade Darkelf, so I have to go to the Stonefalls and do the zone quests

    (my way of playing is first doing the 2ndry quests, then finishing the zone with the main quest. what do u think? is this good way? or first the main then the secundary?)

    When I did the main story (which was in like 2016) I got the new story quests as I leveled up, so you can do the zone quests parallel to the main story as in do some zone and side quests and a main story quest then progress with zone and again a story quest. and don't forget on the way do the mages guild and fighters guild.
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    HyekAr wrote: »
    (my way of playing is first doing the 2ndry quests, then finishing the zone with the main quest. what do u think? is this good way? or first the main then the secundary?)

    I usually start with the first quest in the main questline of the zone, which gives me an introduction to the story of the zone and also gives me a reason to start traveling around. Then while I'm traveling, I pick up side quests as I find them. So it's kind of a mix of progressing through the main questline while doing side quests along the way.

    Most zones, especially in the base game, have a fairly logical progression of traveling across the map, so this method is helpful for making sure I don't miss anything. It's also nice in many cases to have the context of the main story in relation to the side quests. (Like how in Western Skyrim, many of the side quests relate to the invasion of the Gray Host, which you might not understand as well if you haven't started the main quest at all.) Usually I finish the side quests around the same time I get to the last main quest, so it feels like it's all concluding together.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    Lollygags-Where-She-Likes - EP Argonian Templar healer
    Gurtha gra-Margaz - DC Orc Sorcerer stormflailer
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    PC NA
  • HyekAr
    HyekAr
    ✭✭✭
    Ilsabet wrote: »
    HyekAr wrote: »
    (my way of playing is first doing the 2ndry quests, then finishing the zone with the main quest. what do u think? is this good way? or first the main then the secundary?)

    I usually start with the first quest in the main questline of the zone, which gives me an introduction to the story of the zone and also gives me a reason to start traveling around. Then while I'm traveling, I pick up side quests as I find them. So it's kind of a mix of progressing through the main questline while doing side quests along the way.

    Most zones, especially in the base game, have a fairly logical progression of traveling across the map, so this method is helpful for making sure I don't miss anything. It's also nice in many cases to have the context of the main story in relation to the side quests. (Like how in Western Skyrim, many of the side quests relate to the invasion of the Gray Host, which you might not understand as well if you haven't started the main quest at all.) Usually I finish the side quests around the same time I get to the last main quest, so it feels like it's all concluding together.

    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, okey then, this is good one
    If you're interested in playing the game in chronological order - I'd HIGHLY suggest following this guide. It helped me when I was a new player in the Elsweyr days!

    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/525351/a-clear-step-by-step-guide-to-playing-eso-in-chronological-order

    Oh thanks👍👍👍
  • dominguero96
    dominguero96
    ✭✭✭
    The main story quests have a different quest marker in case you want to look for them. What he meant with a quest line per zone is that apart from side quests, every single map zone has a questine (except cyrodil) which may or may not be connected to other zones. To clarify:

    - In the original map, faction had a shared a questline through all their map zones. So there you have 3 storylines + the main questline (prophet and stuff). Go to Aurindon, Stonefalls or Glenumbra to start them.

    - Until 2-3 years ago, they released independent dlcs, some only dungeons and others with storylines such as dark brotherhood, orsinium...

    -For the last 2 or 3 years, each year had a storyline that was divided in four parts plus free prologues: 2 dungeons dlcs ( with 2 dungeons each) + Chapter (large map + trial) + Small story DLC.


    I would recommend following the release order, but only to have a defined order, there is no requirement:
    https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/DLC


    And finally, you can start a dlc map questline by looking for the first quest manually or in the Collections window, go into stories and select the dlc you want to start.

  • HyekAr
    HyekAr
    ✭✭✭
    The main story quests have a different quest marker in case you want to look for them. What he meant with a quest line per zone is that apart from side quests, every single map zone has a questine (except cyrodil) which may or may not be connected to other zones. To clarify:

    - In the original map, faction had a shared a questline through all their map zones. So there you have 3 storylines + the main questline (prophet and stuff). Go to Aurindon, Stonefalls or Glenumbra to start them.

    - Until 2-3 years ago, they released independent dlcs, some only dungeons and others with storylines such as dark brotherhood, orsinium...

    -For the last 2 or 3 years, each year had a storyline that was divided in four parts plus free prologues: 2 dungeons dlcs ( with 2 dungeons each) + Chapter (large map + trial) + Small story DLC.


    I would recommend following the release order, but only to have a defined order, there is no requirement:
    https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/DLC


    And finally, you can start a dlc map questline by looking for the first quest manually or in the Collections window, go into stories and select the dlc you want to start.

    thank You, it would be cool having something like table of contents in the game
    library
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe if the devs let players just start in the base game story at the very start then this would not keep being a problem
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The Hooded Figure's quest is an adaptation of what used to be the exact start of the game. Do that quest very, very soon.

    (That said: Join the Fighter's Guild before you do anything else. That's a technicality so that you get experience in the associated quest line.)

    After you've done the Hooded Figure's quest, start from the beginning of one of the alliance zones. There are two possibilities for that in each of the three zones. Three of those six choices are good: Stros M'Kai (Daggerfall Covenant), Daggerfall (in Glenumbra; also DC of course), and Khenarthi's Roost (Aldmeri Dominion).

    Of those, I think the single best option is Daggerfall. Go to the part of town where the crafting stations and bank are, and you'll be accosted by a barking dog. Take the quest he gives you and proceed from there.

    All the main-regional-story quests in Glenumbra (which by the way is the only zone to give 4 quest skill points rather than the standard 3) are interesting, easy, or both. You also meet some of the game's top NPCs there (Darien and Gabriele).

    Also excellent are the Stormhaven (which is the second DC zone) sotry quests up until the point where you meet King Emeric, and all of Rivenspire (the third DC zone) as well. Bangorkai (fifth DC zone) is good from start to finish too. Latter Stormhaven and Alik'r Desert (fourth DC zone) can be more tedious, however.

    You can do Wrothgar any time after Rivenspire, but while it's excellent early and late, it has a tedious stretch in the middle.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also if you go to "Activity Finder" it brings up a summary of the zone. You can start the main quest for the zone there.

    For all base game zones though, most of them continue on from another zone of that faction.

    So the zone guide is more useful for the DLC areas.
    Xbox One EU
  • HyekAr
    HyekAr
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks U all for help
  • HyekAr
    HyekAr
    ✭✭✭
    The Hooded Figure's quest is an adaptation of what used to be the exact start of the game. Do that quest very, very soon.

    (That said: Join the Fighter's Guild before you do anything else. That's a technicality so that you get experience in the associated quest line.)

    After you've done the Hooded Figure's quest, start from the beginning of one of the alliance zones. There are two possibilities for that in each of the three zones. Three of those six choices are good: Stros M'Kai (Dag

    I am not sure, but as I was doing all the quests in greymore i think I did this Hooded Figure in Greymore, bcz she gave me a quest too, is that possible? How can I check if I did this one?

    (Ok i just discovered, in Greymore it gives you to the quest, no need to travel to the main zone)
    Edited by HyekAr on May 1, 2021 10:34AM
Sign In or Register to comment.