The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Mehrunes Dagon and Meridia in Blackwood

AVaelham
AVaelham
✭✭✭✭
In the upcoming Blackwood chapter, I'm sure (or at least I hope so, if ZOS has the ambition) we will explore new sides to the persona of Mehrunes Dagon that have never been explored in the lore before. The Mysterium Xarxes has appeared in the second era and Commentaries on the Mysterium Xarxes should hold some relevance once again. Do you think we'll get Dagon's origin story?

In the fourth book of the Commentaries, it is mentioned:
I give my soul to the Magna Ge, sayeth the joyous in Paradise, for they created Mehrunes the Razor in secret, in the very bowels of Lyg, the domain of the Upstart who vanishes. Though they came from diverse waters, each Get shared sole purpose: to artifice a prince of good, spinning his likeness in random swath, and imbuing him with Oblivion's most precious and scarce asset: hope.

What famous Magna Ge do we happen to meet in ESO and is very much linked to the overarching story? You guessed it, Meridia. I think she'll finally make her return, not as an ally, but as a villain, who's finally showing her true colours. It could also explain her own origin story - how she fell from Aetherius and became a Deadric Prince.

I'm probably hoping for too much, but I'm lowkey hyped. What are you predictions about the Dagon and Meridia lore for this chapter?
  • PrayingSeraph
    PrayingSeraph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meridia has had some hints post Summerset, but I'm unsure if she'll ever be the villain. The reason? It would make it hard to reconcile the main quest for players who don't follow the standard order.

The quote you mentioned seems to be referring to the magna ge in general, hence "they".

Meridia is basically and angelic zealot who champions order, light, purity and sacredness. She is in many ways wholly opposed to Dagon's sphere of influence. Dagon is all about chaos, change and destruction. But it would make for an interesting interaction between the two very opposing Princes
    Edited by PrayingSeraph on April 23, 2021 7:23AM
  • phantasmalD
    phantasmalD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meridia has had some hints post Summerset, but I'm unsure if she'll ever be the villain. The reason? It would make it hard to reconcile the main quest for players who don't follow the standard order.

Meridia already had a brief villain role, she was the unseen antagonist of Depths of Malatar.

There are many things that are hard to reconcile if you play the quests out of order. Like for example Abnur Tharn's fate and general health. Same for many returning characters.

• Skullstachio
    Skullstachio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last I checked, meridia is also wholly opposed to Molag bal’s sphere of influence being the unholy lord of domination that bal is given the undead stand point of things.
    I know what you di-Iddly did... (you would be wise not to do that again during a time when Suspicion in the gaming space is at an all time high.)
    by not actually revealing real drop tables in the game for all items, you only prove what has been proven with proof of concept that you can/will manipulate item drop chances based on certain elements performed by the player.
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Summerset = temple of hers gets ran sacked by other princes and story mentions she has been attacked by the other 3 princes. Also the book at the end tell us what Darien is experiencing u see Merdias “care”

Greymoor = another temple ran sacked and a lot of her followers mentioned there was no answer from Merida. Non at all. What’s going on there, recovering, too weak? Or just doesn’t care about them anymore.

Do think a big story line is up coming with Merida and we are going to get a good sneak past the line of what we know about her already. Haven’t done all of Blackwood yet so can’t say on current chapter. But would make sense to have Merida play some role in Dagons creation if that account of lore is 100% (some lore is written from character perspective/view points rather than the 100% history)

Really hope some other interaction with other Magna Ge and some point as that would be epic!!

@Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • PrayingSeraph
    PrayingSeraph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chaos2088 wrote: »
    Summerset = temple of hers gets ran sacked by other princes and story mentions she has been attacked by the other 3 princes. Also the book at the end tell us what Darien is experiencing u see Merdias “care”

Greymoor = another temple ran sacked and a lot of her followers mentioned there was no answer from Merida. Non at all. What’s going on there, recovering, too weak? Or just doesn’t care about them anymore.

Do think a big story line is up coming with Merida and we are going to get a good sneak past the line of what we know about her already. Haven’t done all of Blackwood yet so can’t say on current chapter. But would make sense to have Merida play some role in Dagons creation if that account of lore is 100% (some lore is written from character perspective/view points rather than the 100% history)

Really hope some other interaction with other Magna Ge and some point as that would be epic!!

Well we see in Elsweyr that Meridia is currently searching for a Knight, one that will not "betray her". I will say, that side quest in question does seem to hint at something ominous going on. Jsaad's note. This quest entails finding a missing khajiit. When you find his corpse and note, Meridia's beacon is on him.

"My beloved Adhimba,

I'm sorry. I know you wished these voices I heard were only in my mind. That the images I perceived were my imagination. They are not, though. These visions—these voices that speak to me—they are something more.

A divine presence speaks to me through this stone. I do not understand why these words seek me out, but the voice—it only grows stronger. With it comes the blinding lights. The strange visions. She's trying to find another knight to carry her light, she says. One who will not betray her. One who must correct a previous mistake.

I'm unclear of its meaning, but I believe I must undergo her trials. I must succeed where others have failed.

I will return to you in Black Heights once my journey is complete. I will show you the truth. You will see the light. Everyone will see the light."

https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Online:J'saad's_Stone

It seems Meridia believes Darien betrayed her somehow. Maybe because of the letter he sends to the vestige warning them about her? Meridia expects faithful devotion so this may have been seen as a betrayal to her. She is a pure but zealous goddess.

I don't think Blackwood or this year will focus on Meridia much. This is very much a Dagon themed year. The last dlc zone takes place in Deadlands. I don't see Meridia having much involvement in that.

Next year though? Who knows.
    Edited by PrayingSeraph on April 25, 2021 11:30PM
  • Sinlar
    Sinlar
    ✭✭✭
    From the old legends of the Khajiiti side of things regarding Meridia

"Ancient texts claim that Merid-Nunda, False Spirit of Greed, The Orphaned Glimmer is the daughter of Magrus, who loved only himself and his own creations. Magrus did not take a mate but instead forged children of the aether. Merid-Nunda is a cold spirit, born of light without love. She is intellect without wisdom, knowledge without purpose. She is the consort of demons, and some songs blame her for orchestrating the death of mighty Lorkhaj. When Merid-Nunda dared assault the Lattice with intent (being the first to do so, alongside Dagon and Molagh), Azurah struck her down before the Varliance Gate and dragged her away from it. She then cast Merid-Nunda into the Void and bound her there with mirrors. The nomads say she has since escaped."

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Meridia

From this ones own experiences with her, this description seems about right. She has her own agenda's and like most of the Princes, only have use for mortals if they are of use in attaining the goals of those agenda's. Oh what this one would give to read or hear a complete history of the old Khajiiti mythology before it was gutted by the Riddle Thar. In the few scraps that one can find, there are hints of a vastly different series of events regarding those early times than has been portrayed by other cultures.