The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

So, thinking about coming back

acctingman69
Hi all

I played ESO about....4+ years ago and honestly, I don't remember much. I quit because I was still playing WoW and didn't have time for both games. I remember this game being somewhat solo friendly.

I've quit WoW for good and thought about returning to ESO. A couple quick questions if anyone has the time to answer.

#1) how solo friendly is it here? I remember it being decent 4+ yrs ago, but I honestly can't remember.
#2) can you get pretty decent gear playing solo? One of the thing I did like about WoW.
#3) are PUG's easy to get into? Do people still run dungeons/raids? Is there a long wait time for them?
#4) classes...I tend to like the melee classes than can self heal/tank/dish out damage. I enjoyed the Death Knight and Paladin's in WoW. Are there any classes like that in ESO?

Thanks!
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all

I played ESO about....4+ years ago and honestly, I don't remember much. I quit because I was still playing WoW and didn't have time for both games. I remember this game being somewhat solo friendly.

I've quit WoW for good and thought about returning to ESO. A couple quick questions if anyone has the time to answer.

#1) how solo friendly is it here? I remember it being decent 4+ yrs ago, but I honestly can't remember.
    #2) can you get pretty decent gear playing solo? One of the thing I did like about WoW.
    #3) are PUG's easy to get into? Do people still run dungeons/raids? Is there a long wait time for them?
    #4) classes...I tend to like the melee classes than can self heal/tank/dish out damage. I enjoyed the Death Knight and Paladin's in WoW. Are there any classes like that in ESO?

Thanks!

1 - ESO is a mainly solo game at this point, at least in terms of storyline and questing.
    2- Yes but the gearing system is very different compared to WoW, a lot of stuff can be crafted or bought from other players.
    3 - Pugs are pugs, easier if you are tank for dungeons, I don't do much pugging so can't really comment.
    4 - Yes almost all classes in ESO can be built this way, the class system is mainly just skill animation flavour at this point. I would recommend you try Dragon Knight, Necromancer or Templar first but honestly its worth levelling all classes up and then just deciding at that point what to play.
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hi all

Thanks!

Right on man, yeah I've played WoW off and on since Vanilla and I quit for good after BFA dropped. I tried SL the month ir launched but just couldn't find the motivation to play it anymore. I've been playing ESO since it was in beta and have not lost the motivation to play it. With that said:

1) It's still very solo friendly. Technically there will be content that requires a group, but they don't have to be your friends or guildies or anything. ESO has a dungeon queue system (not as robust as WoW's) so for that content, you can just queue and be thrown in a pug, then after be on your merry way.

2) Since ESO uses a horizontal gear progression system (compared to WoW's vertical progression system), there are TONs of gear set options you can obtain solo that are 100% viable to use for PVE and PVP, and once in a while some of them are meta. Crafted sets, overland sets, and most mythic items can be obtained all by yourself either by farming them, buying from the guild traders or other players, or PVPing and buy them from PVP using alliance points (similar to WoW's old honor point system). They may not be meta for pushing scores or being in the top 1% of DPS charts BUT they will be viable and useable.

3) PUGs for dungeons and BG's are easy to get into...you just queue up and wait, similar to WoW. For Trials (ESO raids) usually hanging around Craglorn and spamming in Zone chat "LFG for xx content" will get you some sort of invite, most likely. The wait time for the dungeon and BG queue can be long for DPS, similar to WoW, but short for healers and tanks.

4) So unlike WoW and other MMORPGs, all classes in ESO have access to ranged or melee weapons, and can run ranged or melee builds, either based on stamina as a primary resource or magicka (mana). It's your choice how you build your character in ESO, you are not pidgeon held into a role or playstyle like you are in WoW. Ever wanted a Paladin that wielding a staff like a mage that could heal? Or a Warlock that was melee and could tank? You can 100% do that in ESO. The possibilities are almost endless.
  • acctingman69
    Thanks for the comments. Might jump back in once the summer months here in the Pacific Northwest are over...which is quick :)
  • ThorianB
    ThorianB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. All overland content( of which there is a lot) is easily soloable, many group dungeons can be soloed as well. You are leveled to base content level so you can level/play anywhere and zones are always relevant to you as well as any drops in that zone.
    2. Both overland and crafted sets are using in end game content. In many cases they are 1 or 2 steps below vet trial gear. You can complete all content in crafted/overland gear. You can buy all of this gear from other players as well.
    3. We don't have raidfinder like WOW( at least it did when i played) though many of us want it. There are a lot of active groups out of craglorn(zone) if you are looking to get into end game content. We have a dungeon finder tool. If you play tank you will have instant queue to maybe a minute wait at most. If you play heals you will wait less than 30 minutes most of the time. If you play DPS you can wait 20-30 minutes. Our dungeon groups are 4 man with 12 man trials( raids). We have normal and vet dungeons. However new dungeons of both normal and vet are harder than the OG base game dungeons. So a dungeon released last year will be significantly more difficult than one of the first dungeons you unlock. You never outlevel dungeons. Our DLC dungeons do have raid mechanics even on normal including one shot kill mechanics. Our dungeon finder use to have a bug in which you get stuck in queue forever. So i recommend dropping queue and requeuing every 5 minutes if playing a tank, 10 minutes if playing heals, and 20 minutes if playing DPS. Tanking in ESO is more tedious than most other games, Healing also is not as good as other games in terms of how they are set up.
    4. Yes you can do this with most classes. Every class has access to heals. Classes, for the most part, have a tanking skill line, healing skill line, and DPS skill line. Each weapon also has its own skill line, and their are NPC guild skills lines such as thieves, mages, fighters guild. ESO very much caters to the jack of all trades, master of none builds. Though you can also have master of a single trade builds as well.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hi all

Thanks!

Welcome back! The game has grown so much in 4 years and there's many QoL improvements and new content. To answer your questions:

1. I find the game super solo friendly, especially once you've hit level cap. Even if you don't plan on being super social, joining a guild is a good way to get crafted gear and support when you feel stuck.
    2. Of course you can! Overland and craftable sets are all valid and in some cases ideal for many builds.
    3. The PUGs are still very active. If you're a tank or healer, you'll wait about 45 seconds. DPS can be longer.
    4. Sounds like Stamina Necromancer or Templar are your jam, then. You can also spec them as tanks, with necromancer being a better fit for the role.