Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How often do you duel ?

WolfyRaps
WolfyRaps
✭✭✭✭
Many people complain on the forum about getting killed by "OP builds", but from the complains it seems that most of them are not serious about PVP. It is well known that the best way to understand the PVP interactions and improve at PVP is duels. It is the cleanest form of PVP interraction and when you lose a fight against a more experienced player you can ask him for tips and improve your build and your playstyle accordingly.

So, how often do people that post in the PVP forums actually duel ?
Edited by WolfyRaps on April 14, 2021 1:45PM

How often do you duel ? 84 votes

More than 2 hours every time I log in
7%
GERMANO-THE-IMPERIALStaticWaveGiljabrarBunny_guarFlaaklypaHalfRain216 6 votes
A couple of duels every time I log in
10%
Elo106HowlKimchiJidorahWolfyRapsprice101610ShomenuchiWabanakiWarriorMarioMarioxDeusEJRx 9 votes
Every now and then, when I am bored of other forms of PVP
20%
lolo_01b16_ESOJanus_CruentiSorisVevvevWaffennachtFreakin_HytteGrimlok_SJierdanitRexyWyrd88Raulmondshrekt4303IAmIcehouseLightYagamiJameson18Viewsfrom6ixSkaraMinoc 17 votes
Almost never. I think duels are a waste of time
40%
sabresandiego_ESOBelegnoleKadoozyDarcyMardinRedTalonSnowstridercheeseaddictimokie2609StreegaVostornIcy_Nelyansix2fallAsardesAkromaAngelOfWrathAki-RalSpurius_Luciliusdominguero96Hippie4927Minyassajaws343 34 votes
What is a duel ?
21%
wenchmore420b14_ESOIruil_ESOElsonsoInaMoonlightRaikikimitebaligegladMyrnhielRaddlemanNumber7TheImperfectIrfindPeacatcherM_VolsunggraybeardIIalbescafboursthe1andonlyskwexCooloutAC 18 votes
  • WolfyRaps
    WolfyRaps
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am curious if the "big boys" that duel non stop in Bergama will admit it or if they even visit the English forums as 50% of them are Russians.. :)
  • Rahar
    Rahar
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really only use duels to polish my habits for sustained fights; I've been doing a couple with friends over the past few weeks since I came back to do exactly that. I don't really like dueling properly with dueling builds because it's not really realistic to typical PvP formats.
    NeRf MaGsOrC
  • WolfyRaps
    WolfyRaps
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rahar wrote: »
    I really only use duels to polish my habits for sustained fights; I've been doing a couple with friends over the past few weeks since I came back to do exactly that. I don't really like dueling properly with dueling builds because it's not really realistic to typical PvP formats.

If by "typical pvp combat" you mean the Cyro zergs then yes it is completely different. In BG on the other hand you can often find yourself in 1v1 or 1v2 situations where you can use the combos you thoroughly practiced in duels.

My point is that duels make you a better PVP player much more than scenarios where you can relly on 1-2 or 20 teammates. Plus they are one of the most fun forms of PVP :smiley:
    Edited by WolfyRaps on April 14, 2021 2:54PM
  • Rahar
    Rahar
    ✭✭✭✭
    WolfyRaps wrote: »
    Rahar wrote: »

If by "typical pvp combat" you mean the Cyro zergs then yes it is capmpletly different. In BG on the other hand you can often find yourself in 1v1 or 1v2 situations wher you can use the combos you thoroughly practiced in duels.

My point is that duels make you a better PVP player much more than scrnarios where you can relly on 1-2 or 20 teammates. Plus they are one of the most fun forms of PVP :smiley:

Duels absolutely make you a better player, no disagreement there. I just treat them as practice for the more popular PvP formats instead of a format by itself. I mentioned that they weren't really realistic because they don't really teach you 1vX/BG damage mitigation tactics like LoS, kiting, and good positioning because you forfeit if you attempt to try any of that most of the time. Plus, you're only ever dealing with one other player and their damage. In cyro and BGs fights can change in an instant and require you to do any number of those 3 things, and sometimes all at once... it isn't all just zerging, not if you make an active effort to stay away from the zergs.

also how dare you play this game for fun
    Edited by Rahar on April 14, 2021 3:01PM
    NeRf MaGsOrC
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The poll options should just be frequency without commentary. :confused: I’ve not dueled in ESO, but not because I think it’s a waste of time and I loved dueling in SWTOR, but it helped that I was in a guild with players very into that, including training players in dueling and hosting competitions.

I would like to duel in ESO but haven’t actively sought out training or people interested in dueling who might be at the same level as me. It would also be nice if there were arenas or in one’s one houses one could select different forms or rules for dueling, like procs versus no-procs or similar and especially CP or no-CP.
    Edited by Araneae6537 on April 15, 2021 7:45PM
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Some classes and playstyles favour duelling. Whilst others work better in an open world scenario. It's helpful amongst guild mates etc... to test your build or practice as they are built for a similar environment, But going to your duelling hub on a stamsorc for example is a waste of time. Firstly you are not generally spec'd for it and secondly you will just *** everyone off everytime you BOL/streak.
  • WolfyRaps
    WolfyRaps
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some classes and playstyles favour duelling. Whilst others work better in an open world scenario. It's helpful amongst guild mates etc... to test your build or practice as they are built for a similar environment, But going to your duelling hub on a stamsorc for example is a waste of time. Firstly you are not generally spec'd for it and secondly you will just *** everyone off everytime you BOL/streak.

You can duel on every class really.. I find duels more balancet than BGs where if you are not tanky u die (rip MagBlade).

Of course some classes are stronger than other but still skill rulles. So much so that a half naked top player with the weakes class/spec would beat the mediocre player with best build in game.

Duels are not chaotic and if you are open minded and able to self crtic you will learn a lot by dueling the top players. Duels are the best school for PVP.
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dueled a lot before to learn class match ups

Now since my friend group picked the game up, I'm encouraging them to duel each other (and to parse dps) in my home so they get better quickly
    Edited by HowlKimchi on April 19, 2021 2:38PM
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Beoulve/Howl Kimchi
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Since dueling entered the game, I have dueled twice. Once with a friend and the second time with some low-level fool who thought he/she could beat me. I refused the person several times but they kept bugging me. I took her/him out in about one second. They didn't bug me anymore. lol
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your poll options are biased. I duel almost never, but not because I think they are waste of time, but because:

1. I dislike CP PvP.
    2. I don't think duel system is perfect - you start with ultimate you have at the point, which is not fair.
    3. I have bunch of team-dependant PvP characters that are far from perfect duelists. Duel meta cuts off many perfect BG characters: healers, group-utility chars, AoE damage appliers.

I still duel just for fun, generally with ppl I premade into BGs, just to know their characters better.
  • LightYagami
    LightYagami
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly I find myself like an idiot to ask random people around the city (PvE zones) to fight...

It will be much better if centralized dueling arena can be available. Just group everyone who wants to duel together.

I know there are some hot spots of dueling, but I still got rejected often and I don't really enjoy fighting players in PvE zones especially while a group of PvEers are watching us...
    No improvement on Cyrodill servers -> no ESO plus renewal.
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly I find myself like an idiot to ask random people around the city (PvE zones) to fight...

It will be much better if centralized dueling arena can be available. Just group everyone who wants to duel together.

I know there are some hot spots of dueling, but I still got rejected often and I don't really enjoy fighting players in PvE zones especially while a group of PvEers are watching us...

Getting rejected at a duelling site probably means you have too much hp, or you're on a class/build people don't like fighting, like petsorc. Check out PainInTheAxe or ThogardTV on twitch to learn some etiquette.

Edit: or join a duelling guild, they often fight in player homes.
    Edited by FriedEggSandwich on April 29, 2021 6:02AM
    PC | EU
  • Ringing_Nirnroot
    Ringing_Nirnroot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rarely duel unless it’s with friends to mess around with because I’m a** at pvp
  • M_Volsung
    M_Volsung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is a duel ?
    Never have, never will.
    "In the Deep Halls, Far from Men;
    Forsaken Red Mountain, Twisted Kin;
    Hail the Mind, Hail the Stone;
    Dwarven Pride, Stronger than Bone"

—Dwemer Inquiries I-III, Thelwe Ghelein
  • CooloutAC
    CooloutAC
    ✭✭
    What is a duel ?
    WolfyRaps wrote: »

You can duel on every class really.. I find duels more balancet than BGs where if you are not tanky u die (rip MagBlade).

Of course some classes are stronger than other but still skill rulles. So much so that a half naked top player with the weakes class/spec would beat the mediocre player with best build in game.

Duels are not chaotic and if you are open minded and able to self crtic you will learn a lot by dueling the top players. Duels are the best school for PVP.

I disagree bud. As some of the above posters have stated, its something I would consider only fighting tactics practice for bg's and cyrodil. Both of which require different builds for the most success and team play. And even then it might teach you bad habits. In mmo's for 1v1 one class will always out class the other, or you can even end up with a stalemate.
    Edited by CooloutAC on April 29, 2021 12:58PM
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I duel pretty much whenever I'm in a big city, not even because I enjoy dueling, I just get challenged to duels by people and I usually will accept them as long as I'm on an actual PVP toon. I enjoy duels because unlike other forms of PVP, you can't run away in it lol.
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On and off, depends on if I run into anyone in Stormhaven when I'm super bored and the queues are long.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Sylosi
    Sylosi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In MMORPGs I generally duel when I am new to the PvP as I find it a good way of learning the skills, animations, how to fight different classes, etc, but I rarely duel after that, other than if they add a new class or make a huge amount of changes in an expansion.

I find duelling very dull in games like ESO, the game simply is not designed for it, cheese / builds count for an awful lot because there is no meaningful balance in this game (not that there ever could be in a game like this).

If I want 1v1 then I play a fight game, RTS, etc which have a far higher skill cap, are designed entirely around 1v1 (in most cases), etc and are generally a much more enjoyable PvP experience. There is a reason ESO (and MMORPGs in general) aren't very successful when it comes to PvP...
    Edited by Sylosi on May 2, 2021 10:05PM
  • LightYagami
    LightYagami
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Getting rejected at a duelling site probably means you have too much hp, or you're on a class/build people don't like fighting, like petsorc. Check out PainInTheAxe or ThogardTV on twitch to learn some etiquette.

Edit: or join a duelling guild, they often fight in player homes.

I guess the key reason is that we can't distinguish who on the street really want to duel.
    I don't use pet and I simply walked around with under 30k health.

Sometimes players only want to duel with their friends so they reject others, sometimes people are simply standing and watching fights instead of waiting for a duel. It's difficult to know people's intention. That's why I mentioned a dueling arena may help... Guilds managed by players may help but it will better if the game company / developers do something to improve systematically.
    No improvement on Cyrodill servers -> no ESO plus renewal.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have dueled with some guild mates for fun and to see what it is about. However I made it so I cannot be invited to a duel because I figure it is a waste of time to duel strangers that probably have specific builds for such.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Only for build-testing against a friend.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Ender1310
    Ender1310
    ✭✭✭✭
    While I would agree that there can be value in dueling I will say that it is isn’t the end all Cyridil build creator. As another post has said any build that might work great in a duel will get destroyed by cyrodil Zerg / lag / spam. In a duel you mitigate one persons burst. There are very few times in pvp that it’s only one damage source to deal with.
  • LettuceBrain
    LettuceBrain
    ✭✭✭
    I've only dueled once because I was about the same level as the other person. They were a argonian warden sword & board and I was a dunmer magDK. I kind of annihilated them.
    they/them/theirs
  • StaticWave
    StaticWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    More than 2 hours every time I log in
    I duel a lot while waiting for BG queues or when cyrodiil is unplayable. I'm also a member of a dueling guild on PC NA. Dueling helps you polish your own mechanics in a 1v1 and to some extent, 1vX.
    Platform:
    PC NA

Main:
    Static Wave - AD stamsorc

• RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never keep auto refuse on, first thing I turn on even on new chars is that.
  • nukk3r
    nukk3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In PvE zones, almost never. In cyro/IC, every time there's an opportunity for 1v1.
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Latenight Cyro/IC duels are nice, but the ones in Bergama wayshrine is just not good imo. Firstly, Bergama is more salty and secondly you gotta build for pure 1v1 brawl to get good in there, which is quite unrealistic.
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • vesselwiththepestle
    vesselwiththepestle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would duel more if there was a way to duel with no CP Battle Spirit :).

In Ravenwatch itself I gave up on finding 1v1. I don't know where those players hide, when I run around solo, take ressources or try to attract enemies, I would usually get 4+ enemies on me in 99% of the cases :).
    Edited by vesselwiththepestle on July 7, 2021 6:51AM
    1000+ CP
    PC/EU Ravenwatch Daggerfall Covenant

Give me my wings back!