The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Please add HDR toggle for console version (or fix HDR)

Riordan
Riordan
✭✭
Hi, I know that the HDR topic on consoles is a controversy but please add an ingame toggle to deactivate HDR. I beg you!
I have to disable HDR on my PS4/5 each time I want to play ESO and reactivate it afterwards. I am really tired of that procedure!

The HDR implementation is so awful the colors are complete wrong! The game looks like a bad cartoon.
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Riordan wrote: »
    Hi, I know that the HDR topic on consoles is a controversy but please add an ingame toggle to deactivate HDR. I beg you!
    I have to disable HDR on my PS4/5 each time I want to play ESO and reactivate it afterwards. I am really tired of that procedure!

The HDR implementation is so awful the colors are complete wrong! The game looks like a bad cartoon.

This is definitely an issue, but it only seems to be for certain televisions. I don't have any issues with HDR on mine.

Edit: I always tell people to, at a minimum, make sure they have their TV in game mode in case there were some kind of processing their television is doing that might be throwing HDR off.
    Edited by MurderMostFoul on April 9, 2021 2:10PM
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • Riordan
    Riordan
    ✭✭
    This is definitely an issue, but it only seems to be for certain televisions. I don't have any issues with HDR on mine.

Edit: I always tell people to, at a minimum, make sure they have their TV in game mode in case there were some kind of processing their television is doing that might be throwing HDR off.

I have a LG CX and ESO is the only game I have any issues with HDR. I always use the game mode and don’t know any setting I could change to fix the colors. So the toggle would be a easy option to at least mitigate the issue. Without HDR the game looks really fine.
  • Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did a search on HDR for console, and came up with this thread.

How in the hell isn’t the HDR implementation fixed by now on console? The HDR slider does nothing and the colors are all off. Nighttime is so dark I have to equip Finvir’s Trinket just to see things.

This has been a issue for 3 years now. Fix it please.

Is the ‘next gen’ update in June going to finally fix this or make it worse....
    ▬ஜ Seeds of War, Piles of Skulls ஜ▬
    ▬▬▬ஜ twitch.tv/uberkull ஜ▬▬▬
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The colors for HDR on console are horrible. Everything is red or blue. Red fire, blue shadows, blue stars at night.

I don’t get it either, HDR is supposed to allow more of a brightness difference between pixels, not change the color of anything. Crisper shadows, basically, and light that does not bleed onto adjacent pixels the way it does without HDR.

I would like to hope that the upgraded console version for PS5 will have HDR fixed, but the whole debacle was swept under the rug so long ago that I am not holding my breath.

I don’t know why we should be left with such a substandard version of the game compared to PC. I get that our frame rate isn’t as good, and resolution won’t be either. We should have the same colormap as PC, though. Thing should look realistic, not cartoony.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just enabled HDR for the first time today and was surprised at how different things looked.
  • Twyst
    Twyst
    ✭✭✭

I have a LG CX and ESO is the only game I have any issues with HDR. I always use the game mode and don’t know any setting I could change to fix the colors. So the toggle would be a easy option to at least mitigate the issue. Without HDR the game looks really fine.

I also use LG CX and ESO looks awesome with HDR. I use standard mode and have both in game HDR and brightness levels set low.

For reference I play on Stadia.

I also wish my HDR was supported on PC but sadly noooooo.
  • Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Twyst wrote: »

I also use LG CX and ESO looks awesome with HDR. I use standard mode and have both in game HDR and brightness levels set low.

Most gamers never play outside of game mode. The LG CX in standard mode (not game mode) is almost 100ms of input lag just from the TV. You add the controller latency and cabling, in standard mode you are looking at 120ms plus of input latency. Yikes. Never should play that way imo.

In game mode, the LG CX is ~13ms at 60hz and a impressive 6-7ms at 120hz. That’s where you wanna play.

Edit: Oh, you play on Stadia. Disregard my ‘best latency possible’ stats cause it ain’t happening with Stadia. Add another 200ms there.
    Edited by Uberkull on May 11, 2021 2:03PM
  • Riordan
    Riordan
    ✭✭
    Twyst wrote: »

I assume stadia uses the PC version which seams to have a correct HDR implementation.
    On Console it changes the game to a pink candy land. It’s disgusting.
  • Fata1moose
    Fata1moose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still waiting for HDR on PC. Auto HDR in the latest Windows Insider build isn’t bad but obviously lacks fine tweaking per application, in this case ESO.
  • dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uberkull wrote: »
    They did try to fix it... but the fix to many people went too far the other way and the game looked more greyscale than with HDR turned off. Huge thread on the forums, many complaints, and they ended up reverting it to the way it was.

Shame really, because they were on the right track with that change... just needed a slider to bump saturation to taste and I think everyone would have been pretty happy.

PS4NA
  • Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dotme wrote: »
    They did try to fix it... but the fix to many people went too far the other way and the game looked more greyscale than with HDR turned off. Huge thread on the forums, many complaints, and they ended up reverting it to the way it was.

Shame really, because they were on the right track with that change... just needed a slider to bump saturation to taste and I think everyone would have been pretty happy.

I was on that thread somewhere.ZOS is a billion dollar game dev studio, now owned by MS.There are indie studios that got HDR right on Unreal, Unity, and Havox engines. There is no way this can’t be fixed with the amount of resources ZOS has at their disposal.

Again, the quick and easy fix....add a HDR on/off setting in the game so we don’t need to turn off HDR at the console system level since all other games get HDR right on the console.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I was on that thread somewhere.ZOS is a billion dollar game dev studio, now owned by MS.There are indie studios that got HDR right on Unreal, Unity, and Havox engines. There is no way this can’t be fixed with the amount of resources ZOS has at their disposal.

Again, the quick and easy fix....add a HDR on/off setting in the game so we don’t need to turn off HDR at the console system level since all other games get HDR right on the console.

Turning it off would be a shame. 4K isn’t really that great without the HDR processing that goes along with it. It is always a package deal.

We deserve a correct implementation of HDR.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We deserve a correct implementation of HDR.

• lillybit
    lillybit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have HDR turned off on the TV for the playstation channel because it looked so awful and plasticy. I couldn't get used to it and ESO is 90% of what's played so was more work than it was worth to switch it around. Would be nice to be abe to use it.
    PS4 EU
  • Avoranti
    Avoranti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem on PS4 might also be how it handles HDR. I know saved gameplay can not be uploaded in HDR from the PS4 because the console cannot process it. If you try the video will look extremely over saturated. However during gameplay, for me at least, HDR looks fine. On PS5, Sony seems to have fixed this somewhat but your saved videos can only upload in 1080p HDR and not 4k. Even if you select to upload in 4k.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And here I am thinking that the one advantage console has over PC is HDR. Been wishing they would implement it on PC since forever. Be careful what you wish for, I guess...
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Avoranti wrote: »
    The problem on PS4 might also be how it handles HDR. I know saved gameplay can not be uploaded in HDR from the PS4 because the console cannot process it. If you try the video will look extremely over saturated. However during gameplay, for me at least, HDR looks fine. On PS5, Sony seems to have fixed this somewhat but your saved videos can only upload in 1080p HDR and not 4k. Even if you select to upload in 4k.

I noticed that about the video in ShareFactory, it looks far worse. That is probably raw video and the game is doing some sort of processing itself. However, I went from a non-4K TV to a new 4K one with the same PS4 and the 4K colors were so bright it just looked terrible, not anything like it was on regular HD.

However, I don’t think the PS4 can be blamed for the 4K HDR implementation because other games look so much better with it. It is only ESO that looks so shocking.
    Edited by katanagirl1 on May 13, 2021 5:04AM
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Sju
    Sju
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just got my TCL 5 series, HDR still looks pretty crappy, but much better than the Vizio V series I am now returning. I hope they either fix it or add a toggle. My other games are fine, but I'm not turning it off whenever I play ESO.
  • BearCubInSky
    BearCubInSky
    ✭✭
    So the new patch didn't fix it. This is beyond ridiculous. Last hope is the next gen patch...
  • Drew8315
    Drew8315
    Guys They said numerous times they know the HDR isn't working, and that the enhance consoles upgrade will fix it when it comes out next week on both platforms. Now if it the Ps4 and Xbox X one they probably fix it with a patch, and this patch was to get the expansion out, and they probably release another patch shortly to fix any bugs like maybe the HDR on the PS4 and Xbox One X.
  • BearCubInSky
    BearCubInSky
    ✭✭
    Drew8315 wrote: »
    Guys They said numerous times they know the HDR isn't working, and that the enhance consoles upgrade will fix it when it comes out next week on both platforms. Now if it the Ps4 and Xbox X one they probably fix it with a patch, and this patch was to get the expansion out, and they probably release another patch shortly to fix any bugs like maybe the HDR on the PS4 and Xbox One X.

Can you link to where they said the next gen version would fix it. This is exciting if so!
  • BearCubInSky
    BearCubInSky
    ✭✭
    Welp... HDR is still broken after the Series X update and blacks are still crushed at base settings when HDR is turned off. There is no excuse at this point.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm so its not just me…

See my Reddit post here…I have some posts years back too but…man it’s bad still

-PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drew8315 wrote: »

Can you link to where they said the next gen version would fix it. This is exciting if so!

It was actually on a old ESO Live from one of the devs who worked on graphics. It seemed to cause excitement but I recall much later they said they decided NOT to fix it and leave it alone…to me the idea of allowing us to turn it off or on in settings knowing the new consoles (at least the Xbox Series X) would offer HDR without a dev needing to do so was the obvious option here for this update. Not to have it and no reference doesn’t make sense

-PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Microsoft’s Xbox Series AutoHDR team down the hall is chuckling as they have ESO running with AutoHDR and it actually looks like the PC version again...
  • Atedos
    Atedos
    Soul Shriven
    Same here
    HDR in ESO is broken

This is ow the game normally looks:
    q8lctmadam571.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=e7bba690c0803d0fc8c8b0245f9881446bab4359
    ewbwrnadam571.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=cfcfdea5d87e3d2d14e7642ae907dc9cc2dff3bc

And this is with HDR turned ON:
    qbwu5qadam571.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=5437657202d71516b5bf82fcb1d7745772b08fe0
    v8h7yfbdam571.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=c9a3671febee882d6345dc7b2b9fc533f25bdbd4
    This blue snow is highly unnatural even for the night-time and is not how the game looks on PC and official screenshots.

These are raw screenshots directly from PS5, not screen photos. You can see the relative difference in RENDERING, with highly oversaturated colors by HDR. And they are representative of the looks on my CALIBRATED tv. No such problems with over-saturation on ANY OTHER HDR content or game. Also I know that the problem is really old, but I hoped they would fix it for ps5, since the console uses HDR for everything by default (you can turn it off in system settings though)
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly HATE HDR... I have to disable it all the time in everything I watch. It makes me nauseous just trying to watch anything in HDR... and stupid Roku loves to reset itself back to 'auto' and I can tell immediately when I try to watch something and it's turned back on.
    CP: 1950 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Sorcerer ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Riordan
    Riordan
    ✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    I honestly HATE HDR... I have to disable it all the time in everything I watch.
    I like it on my LG CX very much most games look great with it but ESO is a nightmare is look ugly!
  • BearCubInSky
    BearCubInSky
    ✭✭
    Hmm... new patch didn't fix it.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    I just enabled HDR for the first time today and was surprised at how different things looked.

In a good way or a bad way?
    PCNA