The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Change in how ESO Defines its Service/Product in Tax Code?

S4lt1c1d
S4lt1c1d
Soul Shriven
Hi! I'd like to ask for some kind of official reply to this. I have a ticket open but am getting the usual bounced around rudeness and no reply.

I have been a Plus member since 2015 renewing every 180 days. I have never been charged sales tax on my membership until today. In fact, looking at my history I was never charged sales tax on any purchases from ZOS around ESO, not crowns, not chapters, etc.

This is because in my State, MA, software is often defined as a non-tangible service and digital memberships to services/programs that are free to use but you can pay for bonus benefits are considered Non-Taxable under general Service Provider tax law. 830 CMR 64H
If you look at comparable types of memberships, for example Amazon Prime who lists the States which require sales tax on their membership, MA is not listed because it's a service:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202036230
And if you looks up pretty much any tax information provider, they will tell you digital goods are usually defined as non-tangible and thus not subject to sales tax in MA.

The Tax code I cited above has not changed since 2006. I actually called my State DOR to verify. This change in my billing happened just this year (also on the new Chapter).

This means that if there was a change and this is not an error, then ZOS has re-defined their own role as a provider in respect to State Tax Laws. Defining themselves not as Service Providers but as "Computer Industry Services and Products", which makes everything taxable under either sales or use tax. After all, ZOS just got bought by Micorsoft, so such a change wouldn't be shocking.

I'd like to know if this is true. Such a change in Company Definition effects costs for all Users in all States, not just mine.
I think it is information we should have been told and should know, especially for those who may be looking at their purchases and Plus billing in respect to their billing history and wondering what's up and why - most of whom will probably either shrug and swallow it or just drop the membership because the added cost right now is that one straw.

I want to stress, it doesn't change my membership status or if I will continue to play. I am not mad. But I do prefer transparency and do not like surprises.
Service Providers which are required to charge taxes have to let people know when prices will increase because of taxes,(at least in my State) - things like phone, cable, internet etc. If ZOS is going to define themselves in such a way they should too, imo.