Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

performance mode on console

NeKryXe
NeKryXe
✭✭✭✭✭
Today I felt really blessed for my old crappy PC. :smile: I admit that I don't need more than 60FPS, it's perfectly fine for me, in fact I have the game intentionally capped on 60FPS with vsync on, and it's great. But every time it drops to 40FPS I get mad! Now, I just found out that people on consoles were playing with a 30FPS cap, all this time, 7 years of 30FPS pain. I'm shocked! I never ever would guess it if not for today's news on ESO site.

So... if you are on consoles this will be a really, really, great upgrade for you! :)

Screenshot-2021-04-01-00-18-51.jpg
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Honestly, most people wouldn't notice a difference.
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually cap it at 30fps on my PC. Apart from the quiet fro the PC I can't tell any difference. It's not fortnite - when you push a key nothing meaningful happens for several frames at even decent lag anyway.
    Too many toons not enough time
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    60 will be so nice.

Just look at bloodborne vs dark souls 3 and the difference is noticeable.
    PvP needs more love.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You know I just noticed a few days ago that frame rate drops have returned to PS4 again, and I’m on a Pro if that matters at all.

The only thing that I did see from all the Year of Performance Improvement stuff we went through a while back was that they did fix that. Sad to see it’s back again.

I can’t figure out why, it’s just when my character is moving (not sprinting) and I turn the camera that I see the frame rate start stuttering. It might be in proximity of those large Dwarven lighting fixtures in Arkthzand caverns or something, the ones that make a humming sound.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    renne wrote: »

really? maybe it's my problem, but a few years ago the frame rate dropped many times on trials and when it was around 30fps it was harder to play.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This. A constant 30 FPS is enough. I’ve never understood the FPS obsession in MMORPGs. 60 FPS is absolutely not needed and you won’t barely, if at all, recognize the difference between a constant 30 FPS or wonky 40-50.
    NeKryXe wrote: »

really? maybe it's my problem, but a few years ago the frame rate dropped many times on trials and when it was around 30fps it was harder to play.

<20 FPS? Yes. ~ 30? Not really.
    Edited by Seraphayel on April 3, 2021 8:17AM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Stahlor
    Stahlor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow - then we can see our characters lagging and skills not firing in 60fps - great!
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you get up to 120 FPS things start to look too fluid, almost unreal. I'm at a good 150-165 FPS and things move in weird ways, when it drops it is very noticeable change that it can become jarring for a few seconds.
  • Vlad9425
    Vlad9425
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    To be honest it sounds too good to be true and I’m expecting ZOS to mess something up with this but here’s hoping 🤞
  • Jeirno
    Jeirno
    ✭✭✭✭

Honestly my eyes hurt playing 30fps, I legit get a headache xd. 60 is the minimum for me. I don't mind FPS dropping below 60 in a intense situation with a lot of stuff happening all the time but like, having 30 fps while doing normal quests would kill me.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »

This. A constant 30 FPS is enough. I’ve never understood the FPS obsession in MMORPGs. 60 FPS is absolutely not needed and you won’t barely, if at all, recognize the difference between a constant 30 FPS or wonky 40-50.

It's more noticible on pc than on console due to turn speed. Also since consoles play on TVs that these days normally have smoothing features you may already be playing at a pseudo 60 or 120 FPS and not even realize it.
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »
    Seraphayel wrote: »

It's more noticible on pc than on console due to turn speed. Also since consoles play on TVs that these days normally have smoothing features you may already be playing at a pseudo 60 or 120 FPS and not even realize it.

Hence most people wouldn't notice a difference.