The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Who thinks its a bad idea to have a free game during the biggest event of the year

EldrathLlewain
When the game is buggier than a nest of hornets?

Who thinks its a bad idea to have a free game during the biggest event of the year 62 votes

Me
53%
ZigoSidAektannLinaleahNettleCarrierRaikikiEnemy-of-ColdharbourCzeriSGT_Wolfe101stEvil_RurouniCelephantsylvius_BornasfinmoFischblutmeekmikoEldrathLlewainVermintideTúrin_VidsmidrcolossalvoidsHroltharRed_Featherjoergingerjtm1018 33 votes
Not me...
46%
Kesstrylpingpatb16_ESOElsonsoBluepitbull13kargen27ArcVelariancmetzger93AstironThe_Old_Goatcarlybrimstone74Pink_E_808veloSylraptorkarekizStarlockBisDasBlutGefriertJayrooSidraWillowskyHambootWyrd88 29 votes
  • EldrathLlewain
    Me
    When the game is buggier than a nest of hornets
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you even mean by a free game...
  • EldrathLlewain
    Me
    See the anniversary event notification, free for anybdy to download n play during the anniversary event, if my product was full of problems id fix em before trying to get new ppl to use it
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tbf only us hardcore players notice the bugs that affect gameplay... New players tend to ignore/dismiss most, and the event is when towns are most flourishing, so business wise I wouldn't say it is a bad idea. It would make the game even buggier for us, but that's their choice, after all from their point of view the game is working well, and the servers are holding up fine (or similar things they said during streams)
    Edited by zvavi on March 31, 2021 10:22PM
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's really not an issue for me as I play mostly off-peak. Some of my friends who do trials and pvp don't like it though.
  • EldrathLlewain
    Me
    Just think its silly to present a bad first impression in an effort to get players. Between the ui errors when opening mail, and the horid wait time wjen accessing the bank i dont see how even a newb wouldnt see the issues
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Me
    During an event also just seems like a terrible idea from a marketing standpoint. The presumably new player comes in and everybody's grinding dailies and speed running more than usual, and this is the first experience you want to give them?
    PC NA
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not me...
    Perfect time to do this. The anniversary (I just gotta brag a second I spelled anniversary correct first try) event will give new players a chance at drops they normally wouldn't be getting. Gives incentive to try a variety of content early. We also have new content coming soon.
    "The Blackwood Prologue questline is now live for all platforms and is free for anybody with access to the ESO base game (note, this includes Free Play Event players). To get underway, simply pick up the quest starter from the in-game Crown Store (located under the Quest Starters category)."

So new players will be offered a glimpse at what is to come. Might cause them to stick around and pick up the latest chapter. You want new players coming in when the game is vibrant and alive.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Klad
    Klad
    ✭✭✭✭
    Me
    What..you guys don't love going to the ancient Temple to search for a ancient mystery that only you can read....only to have a couple hundred other "Heroes" bunny hopping around?

Several MMO's have solved this issue.... What the hey hey @ZOS_RichLambert ?
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It gives them the full experience.

Wondering why their game is lagging every time they equip a piece of gear or use the bank.

Wondering why they blue screen when confirming champion points, when they get to that point.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as they go to Kitty Land and come out of the hole to face a dragon, I'm fine with new players getting free game time.
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Me
    Maybe on the bright side it will help stress test the game.
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me
    Just remember to turn off zone chat for the week whilst it's full of idiots discovering they can shout obscenities on free accounts on throwaway emails.
    Too many toons not enough time
  • Vlad9425
    Vlad9425
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Me
    The game actually runs like crap at the moment and this will only give it a bad reputation with many of the players who decide to try it for free.
  • Faded
    Faded
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as they go to Kitty Land and come out of the hole to face a dragon, I'm fine with new players getting free game time.

Best tutorial year so far.
  • iksde
    iksde
    ✭✭✭✭
    Me
    playing without ESO+ and not spending even a cent on this game anymore and I know this is bad idea from experience which was very bad with every other events with free game or free ESO+
    for half of the time of doing trials with guild we always had to wai for others to get back to the game after crash.....trial to do in 30-40 mins - 1.5h of struggle ehre with crashes
    progressing trials with HM's? not so much to progress when at every boss, trash someone is getting crashes, we need to luck take down boss cleary without anyone crashed during time of events like this

EDIT: and now anyway...after last MAITENANCE! I have problem with long af loading screens with high possibility to get "lobby connection lost" even for few times in row when I want to get out from instance to another logouting me and giving me 2 more loading screens to game on top on 3rd to finally get out of this instance Im in
    Edited by iksde on April 1, 2021 12:07AM
  • scorpius2k1
    scorpius2k1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me
    Not the first time, and certainly not the last. I have been through this scenario many times in the past with this game. It's always hit and miss. Bringing new players into a new gaming environment when they are getting their first impressions really should be an impactful and problem-free experience. If ESO ran better all-around, I would have said it was a great idea.
    🌎 PC/NA
    🐧 Linux (Arch)
    🧑‍💻 ESO Addon Dev
    ⚔️ Stamplar | Magplar | Stamcro | Magsorc | Magcro Healer
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not me...
    It's already basically free-to-play on xbox anyway, so... shrug?