The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Please help, I feel discouraged...my first large group

• MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or you can just get to 160 CP (so you can equip max level gear) then just do no CP PVP/crafting/housing and never have to care about CP.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • Rukia541
    Rukia541
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol. That is the most boring grind in the game.. unfortunate that you ran into that as a new player, plus it just sucks regardless. I would do daily dungeon and daily battleground for huge xp boosts then do w/e the hell you want. There are great grind spots you can do solo or in groups , google or youtube them, I liked alcast for guides (hello ladies and chentlemen)

Grind 160 to max stats on gear then play normally, bgs have no cp enabled and cyrodiil also has the option. 1st or 2nd place is enough to get the daily in a BG so even if you suck you can still get carried. Cp grind was increased by insane amounts so it should basically just be ignored now unless you have no life.
  • noneatza
    noneatza
    ✭✭✭
    Read last sentence for short tldr.

Based on my mmo career, I'm what some would call a toxic elitist.
    When i started eso i was dead set on getting to endgame trials as fast as i could, then when a friend saw me that i spent my entire first day in alikr he yelled at me and gave me the best advice i've ever recieved regarding eso:

Just play at a slow pace until cp160, do main story and zone quests, smell the roses, dont rush anything since you have plenty time etc
  • xAarionx
    xAarionx
    ✭✭✭
    I just made new Character A stamDK that I'll convert to A tank in the future
    I made Him yesterday, and he's already level 47

I didnd't grind a minute...
    Of course I used the xp scrolls, but only the 50% one, and there is the event

But If you make the math, Just doing the basic game content, quest and dungeons in 4 days you can reach level 50 quite easily
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm confused, what did you expect when asking to join an Alik'r dolmen group? That's literally what it is.
  • Norith_Gilheart_Flail
    Norith_Gilheart_Flail
    ✭✭✭✭
    I liked the background story.

To answer your question though, even after this revision and the catch up mechanisms put in place, the speed with which you will get CP is not going to be in line with the pace you may set for yourself mentally.

It's condescending to tell you to slow down and take your time, and I would never. But I would be on point to advise you need to temper your expectations.

The XP from Alik'r Dolmens comes from completion, not the enemy kills, unless you are able to tag and get decent agro level registered on each mob before they are dead (think Sorc ability, forgot name, Endless Fury?)

A way that worked for me under the old version before update was doing K'Vatch Arena dailies, though any dailies should work. Even crafting dailies... at max level.

Unfortunately, should you play alts - CP won't be earned on any class that is below 50. Which is a pita.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised after a month of just where your CP level is, hell - do the main story quest on a max level toon, and you should be happy.

Good luck
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pretty sure people already have told that alikr is not an intended way to progress as a newbie, it's more for jewelry mats farm and leveling up ALTs when half afk.

Amount of experience needed per a CP point was significantly reduced in this update so you'll be pretty high level really fast, just make sure you're actually learning the game while gaining exp as it night be rough to realise you have no idea what are you doing being 800+ cp, don't rush so much.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most of these players have done a lot in game already and are just doing it for easy xp.

As a new player, don't even worry about that. Just play the game, explore stuff and do what you want.

Gear doesn't even matter until cp 160 (max gear level), so don't worry about that either.

Just explore and learn your class and combat mechanics.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I liked the background story.

To answer your question though, even after this revision and the catch up mechanisms put in place, the speed with which you will get CP is not going to be in line with the pace you may set for yourself mentally.

It's condescending to tell you to slow down and take your time, and I would never. But I would be on point to advise you need to temper your expectations.

The XP from Alik'r Dolmens comes from completion, not the enemy kills, unless you are able to tag and get decent agro level registered on each mob before they are dead (think Sorc ability, forgot name, Endless Fury?)

A way that worked for me under the old version before update was doing K'Vatch Arena dailies, though any dailies should work. Even crafting dailies... at max level.

Unfortunately, should you play alts - CP won't be earned on any class that is below 50. Which is a pita.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised after a month of just where your CP level is, hell - do the main story quest on a max level toon, and you should be happy.

Good luck

I think your advice is fine for someone who understands what CP grinding is and why they might want to do it (mainly to get into other content faster) and has chosen to do so.

The reason I, and other players, told the OP to slow down and do something different is because they're not in that situation. They're a new player who got the impression that CP grinding is the end game - that this is all they have to look forward to once reaching level 50. They were literally asking if that's the only option or if there's another way because they've already found dolmen grinding to be boring.

There's nothing wrong with grinding CP if you understand what you're doing and why, and as you said have reasonable expectations for how long it will take to reach a particular number. The problem here is someone discovering CP grinding almost by accident and thinking it's not only an activity in it's own right but possibly the only reasonable option once you're level 50.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • faeeichenlaub
    faeeichenlaub
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you do the main quest in the start zone and follow it through for your alliance it was designed to level you to vet/cp level. Group Dolmen grinds are a pseudo-social way to get that CP up. But there really is only so much one can take of that. Level your crafting, xp scrolls, fill master writs. Deliver a champ point for almost every time you do it. Like others have said take your time enjoy the story. if it's only pvp your after than maybe grinding makes sense but the content is worth it just to understand the lore of ES.
    "Azura give me strength, Let my voice change the world as long as I am in it."
  • ThorianB
    ThorianB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    marshill88 wrote: »
    Level 46. Joined a large group today for the first time. They were in the Alik'r desert, running the Dolmens. There was a massive mob of players. I was part of them. It was a large group. I was really excited to join a group finally. I thanked the leader for allowing a new player in his group, I informed my leader I was new and told him I would do my best and to please advise me if I do wrong instead of just kick me. He was super cool. Everyone was awesome, as a matter of fact (this community is great).

So we crushed the first dolmen....so easily. Then the entire group just left. I'm literally standing on the platform and everyone is gone lol. Quickly, I ran after them. They jumped into a wayshrine...poof! I was left standing there wondering "where did they go?" I looked on my map and saw them all and so I quickly teleported to them. I ran to them, they were in another Dolmen. I don't think I even did a thing this time and they had the whole thing killed. I then saw the mob all blobbed together in a single massive ball of humanity and then they ran off again. When they cleared the spot, there was a chest there! "So that is why they all globbed in the same spot," I thought.

Sweet, a chest! I looted the chest and realized I left the last chest in my first dolmen without looting it because I didn't even know it spawned.

By the time I looted the chest, nearly everyone was gone. No worries, I'm a quick learner. Checking my map, I saw them teleporting to another dolmen. And off I went.

We cleared the next dolmen. it was so easy, I literally could have stood there and did nothing as I had no impact in the fight at all. But that's ok. I did my best to whack things. I got the chest this time, even quicker than others. And I was prompt at running back to the wayshrine, there were even veterans behind me this time! I can do this.

So we ended up going back to the first location, a cycle of three. And we cleared that one. And we did it again.
    And again.
    And again.
    And again...
    over...
    and over...
    and over again...

I decided to ask my group more about the purpose of this, most of them were high level champions, and every one of them who spoke with me was nice.

/g Hey guys, is this mainly like an XP farm type of thing we are all doing?
    {player} Ya, its basically just grinding XP.
    /g I'm guessing you probably use experience scrolls when you do this?
    {player} Yes.
    /g my inventory is full, is it ok for me to go back to town real quick and decon/sell?
    {player} of course. just be sure not to leave the group.

I quickly ported to town, cleared my inventory, and after several minutes, teleported back to Alik'r. They were still at it. Doing the same thing. I gained a level, which was cool.
    However, I think after the 15th time (5 cycles) I was incredibly bored. It wasn't fun. It just wasn't fun. At all. Players were just rushing from A-->B-->C-->A-->B-->C, etc., nonstop.

So here it is, I'm nearly level 50 and about to enter The Long Grind, that phase where for many the game actually begins, and I join the world in a push up the champion system.

So please tell me there is more of a "fun way" to raise my skill or is grinding pretty much this sort of thing....huge rush...massive repetition. over and over again.

Of course I want a high level character, of course I want to be a champion, but I want to have fun doing it. Is this what I have to look forward to?

I wonder if I want to have fun while raising my champion points, will that mean it takes me 10x longer to do it than these guys that rush/grind? If it takes months for players who rush/grind to gain levels, does that mean that players who have fun while leveling take years to get there?

How do you raise your champion points in a way that is both A) somewhat fast compared to rush/grind, and B) fun and interesting?

I have been playing MMOs literally since they came into existence. ESO is one of the least grindy MMOs i have ever played. If you are grinding in ESO you are either playing wrong or you want to grind. There is also no reason to grind despite the insistence of some on these forums that you must obtain level X before you can even begin to play. You get your final set of gear at CP 160 which is not hard to reach at all. Crafted CP 160 gear, normal dungeon gear, and overland gear work just fine for 99% of the content in this game. Unless your running vet trials, you don't need hard to get gear. You dont need CP 1000 plus like they complain about on this forums. When the CP system was redesigned, they made sure content could be completed without needing a lot of CP as it was suppose to be the polish on your character not a locked gate to content.

Dolmens are meh for leveling. They are fine when you are low level(like level 5-20) and don't have a lot of options. I would of ran dungeons personally. Play magicka character and back bar some heals and queue as heals. You will get a dungeon in less than 2 minutes most times of day. You get good gear for a low level(all blue and many dungeon sets are decent) in dungeons.

Right now we have the anniversary event and we just had the jester's you should taking advantage of the cake from the anniversary for xp buff. But also run dailies. Run all the daily quests in the DLC and chapter zones. Those actually pay decent when you learn how to do them and unlock shrines. Do crafting dailies. They don't in xp but they do pay decent in gold/ mats. The anniversary boxes you get from dailies contain the best loot from an event during the entire year. Don't let that go to waste. If you ever want to do serious crafting( master writs) you will want motifs and if that isnt your thing they will net tens to hundreds of thousands to millions of gold depending on how many you get and how long after the event you wait to sell.

But just enjoy the game. You get a newbie buff that runs until you hit CP 160( mob level) So you don't need to level up to kill stuff in ESO. You just need to learn how to fight stuff without having 40 people tagging it. There are so many better ways to play ESO than boring dolmens though. Only grindy level obsessed people who haven't learned how to properly level in the game hang out at dolmens for hours and grind XP. Don't make the game a job, it is 100% pointless. There is no point in rushing to the end, you dont win anything and you miss the best parts of the game.
  • Starlight_Whisper
    Starlight_Whisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't stand leveling at dolmens unless below lvl 10 so can't queue for dungeons. Just do what makes you happy. Plenty of ways to level up in eso.

Have you tried hunting Dragons?
  • Starlight_Whisper
    Starlight_Whisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    P.S dolmens are fun. I enjoyed grathwood ones from lvl 15 to 25 years ago on my first character. Just not as fun when over populated. The auction ones are better at least on NA
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »
    I agree with others. First character enjoy all the game has to offer. Tons of stuff to do. I started a 2nd account and I am taking a character through all quests in zones and guilds like I did my very first character. Has been fun taking time to see everything along the way again.
    I have used the dolman grind twice. Both times I was switching a character from stamina based to magicka based and I used the group to level the new skill lines. Other than that I'm never in a hurry to get to a particular level.
    Agree here, enjoy the game, a little down the line try dungeons.
    I also recommend joining an social guild as they tend to do lots of group activities both organized and 4 just joining up to do an dungeon or something.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    renne wrote: »
    I'm confused, what did you expect when asking to join an Alik'r dolmen group? That's literally what it is.

Yes, people who have been here for a time know that. New players just joining, hearing all the wonderful stuff about how groups kick low cp players, not realizing that the mindless alik'r dolmen circle *is* the mindless alik'r dolmen circle might have slightly muddled expectations.
  • Diminish
    Diminish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best advice I can give is to just play the game the way you want to. Sure, you can power level through to higher CP levels via mind-numbing grinding. The issue with that is what do you plan to do once you get there? I am CP ~1200, with 15 characters, and I have been playing since the veteran rank days, but have also taken numerous 9+ month long breaks; I actually just came back from a 10 month hiatus about 2 weeks before update 29. The only XP grinding I have done was when I was leveling new characters to 50, and I once I got above the CP cap I never fell below it (obviously until CP 2.0). You will be much better prepared to actually partake in end-game content if you actually spend time playing content rather than wayshrine hopping around Alik'r, running circles in Spellscar, paying people to run you through Skyreach, cheesing rounds 1-4 in stage 1 of BRP, etc. Moral of the story, just play the game the way you want to... the XP will come either way.
  • Jayroo
    Jayroo
    ✭✭✭✭
    When the game first started, the natural progression to "vet" (after 50) was all the base towns; stros mkai, betnik,glenumbra, stormhaven, alik'r, bangkorai, rivenspire (a bit out of order I think)>> than to coldharbor. Than Craglorn was the "vet" zone.
    Than after that you can do your daily pledges (vet if you want a bit more of a challenge),random normals, writs, map dailies trial weeklies, etc. Than when you hit cp you can make another cp character to help the progress a bit.

I sped through a lot of my characters and missed out on a lot of skill points, skyshards, and the fun natural feeling of progression. BUT natural progression isn't everyone's cup of tea, and that's okay too.
    Edited by Jayroo on April 2, 2021 1:44AM
  • propertyOfUndefined
    propertyOfUndefined
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I advocate story quests — at least to CP 160. So much great story content gets overlooked by most of the population. There is so much lore as well, and I love learning all that I can. I’m CP 1200 and only now playing through Markarth. I am loving it!