The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Too Many New Motifs

Malborn66
Malborn66
✭✭✭
Am I the ony Legendary Master Craftman who despairs at the constant bombardment of new Motifs?

It strikes me that the only way of keeping up is to spend huge amounts of Crowns to buy all the new 'pretties' from the Crown store.
(Because that is all they are!)

Meanwhile, my Dailies are generating less Master Writs because of this Motif inflation effect.

ZOS please can all these new Motifs
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love more and new motifs! More options for outfits! I enjoy collecting them and although I’ve not yet completed 50 for Grand Master Crafter, I hope to this month. :)
  • Malborn66
    Malborn66
    ✭✭✭
    My top guy is up to 77 motifs but there are just too many new Motifs.

Are you gonna chase the Ancestral ones, they all look pretty naff?
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Malborn66 wrote: »

Meanwhile, my Dailies are generating less Master Writs because of this Motif inflation effect.

When master writs were originally introduced (Homestead update maybe?) Jessica Folsom gave details about how master writs were achieved and what affected their chances.

In relation to motif knowledge it was stated that your chance to receive a master writ went up with every full motif learned (obviously) but that introducing new motifs wouldn’t lessen your chances from where you currently were. Because motif knowledge is only a part of the (assumed) multiplicative equation consider the following example:

No known motifs = x1 chance modifier (aka no bonus)

10 known motifs = x1.5 chance modifier

50 known motifs = x2 modifier

75 known motifs = x2.2 modifier

These numbers are pure fabrication, but the point stands. You will still have the same chance as you always did before the new motifs are released, and you’ll just be increasing your chances with the more you know.

Now, the only downside is you might start getting more master writs that require motif you don’t currently know to complete, but that’s a different problem than not getting them in the first place.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Malborn66 wrote: »
    My top guy is up to 77 motifs but there are just too many new Motifs.

Are you gonna chase the Ancestral ones, they all look pretty naff?

No such thing as too many unless you modify that to something like “too many motifs with tassets on all weights” then I’ll agree!

I do particularly like those with a unique look like the Sunspire motif. I collect everything Elven and recently completed the Ancestral High Elf motif. I have a few pieces of some of the other ancestral motifs and will probably get them all in time.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wholeheartedly agree.

It seems like the pace of release of new motifs has skyrocketed since Elsweyr. I am not playing right now, but I seem to recall Markarth having maybe 3 in it, and it’s a freaking dlc.

I was farming and buying them with gold until Pyre Watch, and then I just quit doing that and sinking all my gold into furnishing plans instead.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS has figured out they can make money from releasing so many by making them hard to get or take awhile to earn in game and at 5000 crowns a pop it’s like printing money.

Think they would make more money if we had the hide shoulders option same as hide helmet since it would open different outfit looks.

Stay safe and enjoy the journey 😊

PS. ZOS stop the micromanagement of the green tree 🥺
  • Lady_Lindel
    Lady_Lindel
    ✭✭✭
    I have had only 1 day where I actually had all motifs. That didn't last long, am close again, but with the new chapter coming who knows :( Thank heavens for Tamriel Crown Exchange. I got fed up with spending crowns on motif books, now I just them to buy the books. My crafters make gold, I spend it on the books. No more crowns for them.
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You want less new content?

You don't need to have them all, and they're introduced like 2 every few months. That's pretty doable.

There just aren't a lot of people farming the DLC dungeon ones like Stags of Z'en and Pyre Watch. A really good farming opportunity for PvE players right now.
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For me we are at perfect spot - I really like changing styles (I have all 10 slots on my main :D) so every new set is a great thing for me. Also being master crafter should be a bit challenging.

I have all avaiable motifs on my main and I wait for next ones :)
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
  • deleted210809-001958
    the only downside of big amount of motifs is that you have to scroll through all of them if you want to craft something manually (without addon)
  • agn231
    agn231
    ✭✭✭
    Kyatos wrote: »
    the only downside of big amount of motifs is that you have to scroll through all of them if you want to craft something manually (without addon)

Agreed! I don't mind the volume of styles but choosing the style stone on consoles is annoying. It would be easier if they were listed alphabetically.
  • cheeseaddict
    cheeseaddict
    ✭✭✭
    agn231 wrote: »
    Kyatos wrote: »

Agreed! I don't mind the volume of styles but choosing the style stone on consoles is annoying. It would be easier if they were listed alphabetically.

I agree, finding the one you want can be a royal pain in the A$#
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a ESO fashion fan, I really love the diversity of motifs and how often we get new ones. As a master crafter I cry in despair - I'm never able to catch up. Now I'm missing 19 motifs, all expensive. I hope to get about 7 of them fully collected during this Anniversary...
  • LokiAndBlack
    LokiAndBlack
    ✭✭✭
    Having only 8 chars and most of them not on max lvl craft, but doing craft dailies on all of them every day (30 minutes with needed plugins). I am able to collect enough money to buy all that comes out for gold with minimal farming on weekends. just wait till the price drops to 50% of the time it is out and them you can buy it. Or collect the gold all the time and buy styles when the price drops, like during birthday event or during pvp events when the price on pvp styles goes down. Also to hold stones from twitch drops and buying expensive books for 200 stones when they drop in the store is a good way to increase collection of crafting styles without using gold :) Doing so I am able to have all styles in the game during last 2 years :) and just bought the last peaces from Thorn Legion Style and ready to start farming Wayward Guardian style as soon as it comes out :)

Disclaimer I am not that into housing, outfits and other things, all I get I use for crafting styles only :)
  • kriegernight
    kriegernight
    ✭✭
    My Main toon is craft inspired, having more MOTIF options alone side with at least the majority of them being in game won/found is something I like and I play for. I think it would be more helpful for crafters if MOTIFS actual provided boons. Just like trait stones, glyphs and special forge locations. The style would add a special boon for instance Stalhrim Frostcaster would give frost resistance. The even crazier thing is if we can get Official MOTIFS a boon system. I would love to see a special MOTIF forge / Fashion studio where you can try your hand at making your own custom designs.They may not have boons but it would allow for individuality. Most of the motifs feel redundant. Plus if you make your own design and it becomes popular it can be an in-game gold farmer for both the player and the guild.
  • deleted221106-002999
    deleted221106-002999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like the motifs, too - handy for master writ generation and completion. And the craft achievements, too.

Usually the anniversary event is generous is this regard; not so much this time around with rolls of Jeph Paladin's stylish wipes.

So, yeah, it is becoming harder to keep pace with the newer ones.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No such thing as too many new motifs. LOL
    The more, the merrier!
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • EmEm_Oh
    EmEm_Oh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just want motifs to be in my inventory without taking up any space and if that would be too scary for devs...provide a "Motif Storage Box" that gives you a 5:1 or 10:1 ratio of how many you could store in there. I'd gladly pay 1K Crowns for storage that specifically addresses the motif issue.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Souterain wrote: »
    I like the motifs, too - handy for master writ generation and completion. And the craft achievements, too.

Usually the anniversary event is generous is this regard; not so much this time around with rolls of Jeph Paladin's stylish wipes.

I got many more unknown purple motifs this time than in past years. It was great for that. Some of these were ones that were quite expensive in the past as well with no clear route to get them other than vague "loot things" advice.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I got many more unknown purple motifs this time than in past years. It was great for that. Some of these were ones that were quite expensive in the past as well with no clear route to get them other than vague "loot things" advice.

What motifs are you unclear about the drop sources of? Imperial and Dwemer are the only two that come to mind with no clear direction. (blue books and the simple purple books, barbaric, primal, daedric, and ancient elf are similar but so common that they aren't usually a problem)
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    kringled_1 wrote: »

What motifs are you unclear about the drop sources of? Imperial and Dwemer are the only two that come to mind with no clear direction. (blue books and the simple purple books, barbaric, primal, daedric, and ancient elf are similar but so common that they aren't usually a problem)

I think it was some Vvardenfel (sp?) ones. Yeah, I could "loot" boxes, but that is quite vague, for example. I can't recall ever getting a single one, though I tried stealing from several locations.

It may also be the difficulty level. I would have to dig through my master writs and missing motifs to see which ones, but I was surprised how many I got "new" this year that had been around (I had master writs for them in the past) on my NA main crafter who knew quite a bit already.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Imryll
    Imryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whereas I got hardly any motifs at all this year, and most were already known. I primarily got just the same style pages over and over--and common crafting materials. To the point where I considered that drop rates had been altered to the point that the event (which used to be my primary source of motifs) was no longer worth my time. Yeccch!
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it was some Vvardenfel (sp?) ones. Yeah, I could "loot" boxes, but that is quite vague, for example. I can't recall ever getting a single one, though I tried stealing from several locations.

It may also be the difficulty level. I would have to dig through my master writs and missing motifs to see which ones, but I was surprised how many I got "new" this year that had been around (I had master writs for them in the past) on my NA main crafter who knew quite a bit already.

There are a couple Vvardenfell ones that are mainly (only?) sourced by pickpocketing. Redoran and maybe one other?

The rest I think can be found in reward coffers of the various daily quests. Morag Tong, Ashlander, Hlaalu I think come from the dailies.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

There are I think 6 motifs from Vvardenfell. Hlaalu, Redoran, and Telvanni all come from pickpocketing. Ashlander comes from those dailies and is pretty easy to get. Morag Tong is from the WB/delve dailies, and seems to have a lower drop rate. Buoyant Armiger, AFAIK, only comes from treasure chests and Psijic Portals, and is the most expensive with a very low drop rate.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

There are I think 6 motifs from Vvardenfell. Hlaalu, Redoran, and Telvanni all come from pickpocketing. Ashlander comes from those dailies and is pretty easy to get. Morag Tong is from the WB/delve dailies, and seems to have a lower drop rate. Buoyant Armiger, AFAIK, only comes from treasure chests and Psijic Portals, and is the most expensive with a very low drop rate.

It must have been the pickpocketing ones. I don't think I have every gotten one that way, though I haven't tried a whole lot.

I did get several during the even however.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Haenk
    Haenk
    ✭✭✭✭
    I returned a couple of weeks ago - had pretty much all of the motifs when I left 1.5 years ago.
    It really hurts to purchase all the missing motifs, already dumped a couple of millions into them.
    Next in line are all those craftable items; feels like dropping from 99% to 50%...