The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

why such a long time without fixes for easy to prove bugs

Sergykid
Sergykid
✭✭✭✭✭
there are bugs that happen occasionally or even randomly, like the White-Gold Tower HM when the channeler becomes invulnerable (bug that still exists even though they recently "fixed" it lmao) or mages guild slotted abilities passives being granted sometimes on the other bar. But there are bugs that are simply there, easy to prove on the spot and present constantly, like these:

- the Fighting Finesse CP perk is not showing in advanced stats, i don't know if it even works. Blessed and Quick Recovery CP perks for example, are shown properly in advanced stats. Untamed Aggression also works, my total spell damage lowers when i unequip this perk and goes back when i slot it again.
- unstable frost wall deals its instant ending damage in the new location where you recast the ability, instead of in the original location of the cast like unstable fire or shock wall does.
- the asylum shield set gives back magicka upon recasting the Defensive Posture ability even without absorbing or reflecting a projectile, can even be done out of combat.
- Meteor from Mages Guild grants empower at casting as the passive says, but also again when the meteor lands.
- Mystic Orb does not get extra damage from 8% aoe boost from shock staff, but does get extra damage from 10% aoe boost from Biting Aura CP perk. What, there are two different instances of aoe damage? one for destro passive and one for cp perk, and orb only applies to one of them. Biting Aura has "attacks" on tooltip and Ancient Knowledge has "abilities" on tooltip, any importance?
- argonian racial passives for disease and poison resistance are not working (or maybe just not shown in advanced stats
- flame enchant on weapon (even sword) procs Encratis's Behemoth proc set, but frost enchant on weapon (non frost staff) does not proc Winterborn proc set (frost light attacks from frost staff do work).

i am sure there's more which i either didn't encounter or don't remember. I tested these myself and i made ingame bug reports for some of those, but several patches went by without any fix or mention.
but the concern is why are the fixes so difficult or delayed, it's not like they have to prove the bug or make conditions to make it appear so they can investigate. These bugs always happen, not sure even they can even be called bugs or just "things that don't work properly".
Are these really that unimportant to be set such a low priority?
Edited by Sergykid on April 10, 2021 4:17PM
-PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
  • nukk3r
    nukk3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most recent bugs will likely be fixed if they're big enough. Lesser bugs (especially in older content) don't prevent the company from making money and don't impair the experience for the majority of players. This is the reality we have to deal with when the game is a service and not a product.
  • Kidgangster101
    Kidgangster101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sergykid wrote: »
    there are bugs that happen occasionally or even randomly, like the White-Gold Tower HM when the channeler becomes invulnerable (bug that still exists even though they recently "fixed" it lmao) or mages guild slotted abilities passives being granted sometimes on the other bar. But there are bugs that are simply there, easy to prove on the spot and present constantly, like these:

- the Fighting Finesse CP perk is not showing in advanced stats, i don't know if it even works. Blessed and Quick Recovery CP perks for example, are shown properly in advanced stats. Untamed Aggression also works, my total spell damage lowers when i unequip this perk and goes back when i slot it again.
    - unstable frost wall deals its instant ending damage in the new location where you recast the ability, instead of in the original location of the cast like unstable fire or shock wall does.
    - the asylum shield set gives back magicka upon recasting the Defensive Posture ability even without absorbing or reflecting a projectile, can even be done out of combat.
    - Meteor from Mages Guild grants empower at casting as the passive says, but also again when the meteor lands.
    - Mystic Orb does not get extra damage from 8% aoe boost from shock staff, but does get extra damage from 10% aoe boost from Biting Aura CP perk. What, there are two different instances of aoe damage? one for destro passive and one for cp perk, and orb only applies to one of them. Biting Aura has "attacks" on tooltip and Ancient Knowledge has "abilities" on tooltip, any importance?
    - argonian racial passives for disease and poison resistance are not working (or maybe just not shown in advanced stats).
    - flame enchant on weapon (even sword) procs Encratis's Behemoth proc set, but frost enchant on weapon (non frost staff) does not proc Winterborn proc set (frost light attacks from frost staff do work).

i am sure there's more which i either didn't encounter or don't remember. I tested these myself and i made ingame bug reports for some of those, but several patches went by without any fix or mention.
    but the concern is why are the fixes so difficult or delayed, it's not like they have to prove the bug or make conditions to make it appear so they can investigate. These bugs always happen, not sure even they can even be called bugs or just "things that don't work properly".
    Are these really that unimportant to be set such a low priority?

The reason things don't get fixed is because people still play it so why spend money fixing something that will cost them money but no money in return?

Crown store gets fixed same day.

They have so many bugs/glitches every dlc on pts yet dlc still is released without fixing the bugs..... People buy it. For example necro had broken moves for over a year.......

So ya if it doesn't make instant money it's not a priority. The crown store stuff is always a top priority because they have to make 100 bucks for that new house 😂😂😂
  • Mythreindeer
    Mythreindeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, it’s the gaming business meta.

As long as numbers are improving it’s not really a bug.
  • KalyanLazair
    KalyanLazair
    ✭✭✭✭
    I honestly believe spaguetti code is to be blamed. It is not as easy as to know that a bug is happening. Once you know that the bug is happening you need to find the exact place and conditions that trigger the bug in order to fix it. This might seem easy at first, but usually programs are done by multiple developers, some of which might not even be in the company any longer. That implies that you have to take a code you haven't worked on, identify the lines of code involved in the bug and find a way to fix that without breaking anything else in the process. Sometimes it's not even worth it because fixing something might break something else. When we're talking about codes with multiple classes and thousands upon thousands of lines, finding the glitch alone can be quiet a challenging task.

Not trying to excuse the company, just stating that it is not as easy as it seems which is mainly the reason it can take a really long time to get these bugs fixed.
  • hafgood
    hafgood
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just because you can identify a bug easily doesn't mean it's an easy fix in the code, sometimes it is, sometimes it takes a long time to work out what is causing the issue.

Look at the problem with missing skill points. It was easy to see that people were losing skill points due to morphs not holding. It then took a while to work out why and actually that flagged another issue showing people could have too many skill points.

So the easy to spot issue resulted in hours of work to solve.

And thats the same with any bug, just because it's easy to see doesn't mean it's easy to work out why it's doing what it's doing. Some bugs will be with us forever, some will get partial fixes and others will get fixed. It all depends on the bug and its importance.

• pklemming
    pklemming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know what you are all complaining about. I mean, we got the bug where we could pre-aggro mobs in Blessed Crucible fixed. How long had we been complaining about that....? GD, being able to hit those mobs through the door was so annoying.

Not being able to run up some steps was a small price to pay for that.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aside from the other reasons mentioned - "easy to prove" doesn't necessarily equal "easy to fix". MMOs & other 'live service' games grow over time into a massive kudzu of spaghetti code. A bug might tie in to all sorts of other things, or cause something else to explode when you pull on one string of code.

Crown store gets fixed same day.

Which also ties in to this. The Crown Store, is running well-understood commerce software (not years of custom expanding spaghetti code), on it's own separate server (after all, you can interact with the Crown Store systems via the website). It's incredibly easy to fix.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    For the first point: It is very easy to test Fighting Finesse and figure out it does work. No add-ons required. Just choose a weapon, turn on combat numbers, and whack the same mob with FF slotted and not slotted until you see crit numbers. Or simply heal yourself until you crit, since the CP node affects both damage and heals.

It’s also easy to conclude (rightfully) that the Advanced Stats critical damage figure is what’s broken, since the stat doesn’t change at all under any circumstances to reflect the universal base 50% crit damage or any other source (nightblade/templar passive, Khajiit passive, Shadow mundus, CP stars, etc.).

It’s frequently the case that UI-only issues get put on the back burner, often for months on end. That particular bug has been known and reported since the first week of the PTS. It’s clearly very low priority for them, even though it impairs the functionality of this new feature. Since the crit damage boosters themselves are functional, the UI can wait. Or so the thinking seems to go.
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pklemming wrote: »
    I don't know what you are all complaining about. I mean, we got the bug where we could pre-aggro mobs in Blessed Crucible fixed. How long had we been complaining about that....? GD, being able to hit those mobs through the door was so annoying.

yeah, aggroing some mini bosses a few seconds earlier is easier and more important than mystic orb not getting benefit from shock staff aoe bonus while getting it from cp perk
  • KatzMainTank
    KatzMainTank
    ✭✭✭
    Sergykid wrote: »
    pklemming wrote: »

yeah, aggroing some mini bosses a few seconds earlier is easier and more important than mystic orb not getting benefit from shock staff aoe bonus while getting it from cp perk

Crown Store/DLC > initiating combat gameplay > game mechanics.

Skills functioning with accessory game mechanics properly doesn't generate + subs but crafting bag amirite.
    EP - V12 - Crafter
    EP - V1 - Stamina NB
    EP - 49 - Stamina Templar
    EP - 46 - StamSorc
    EP - 24 - ManaBlade
    DC - 26 - StamSorc

PSN: KMT_Drahc
    Left Eye Gang dueling guild recruiter, join us!
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i went to reset my racial passive and took someone from zone to use poison on me. Then i put points back into the racial passive and he hit me again. Damage went from 1504 to 1448. So the racial is working, the bug is only at the advanced stats sheet. Probably same thing with the Finesse CP
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep dreaming you'll get an answer. The only ZOS staff members that really answer players is @ZOS_KaiSchober on German forums and very occasionally @ZOS_GinaBruno or
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • Tsar_Gekkou
    Tsar_Gekkou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glitches that benefit the player get patched really quick and the people banned. Glitches that hinder and aggravate the player are left in until they feel like fixing it, or people make enough of an uproar that they put a rush on it.
    Xbox NA healer main
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+3 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA HM | vRG HM |
    Flawless Conqueror | Spirit Slayer | Dro-mA'thra Destroyer | Tick-Tock-Tormentor | Immortal Redeemer | Gryphon Heart | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Planesbreaker |
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Easy to prove and reproduce bugs does not mean east or even possible to fix. Once a game gets as large as eso fixing bugs becomes more complex.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i understand this but these things didn't even get an acknowledgement, like a mention somewhere "will be fixed sometimes" or "we are aware that ... and are investigating" or things like these, as they do with other stuff.
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for point all these out OP, keen eye!

To all those "bugs might not be solved easily" replies, you should have realised guys that the OP specifically presented obvious bugs that can be resolved by mere COPY-PASTING of code. I won't go through the OP's list to prove my point, but e.g. just c-p the code for Flame/Lightning Staff to Frost. Etc.

Let's not make things more complicated, I'm all about taking pressure off the dev team, but as others pointed out above, this doesn't have to do with the complexity of the fixes but rather the $ return.
    Athan Atticus Imperial Templar of Shezarr
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so they took the Mystic Orb to some checkings and modified it, but didn't fix the shock staff aoe boost on it (at least for now, as seen on PTS)
  • Anonx31st
    Anonx31st
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure most of ZOS's resources are currently going to important things like fixing Cyrodil, updating next gen console graphics, companions, and other Blackwood DLC.
  • Extinct_Solo_Player
    Extinct_Solo_Player
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anonx31st wrote: »
    I'm sure most of ZOS's resources are currently going to important things like fixing Cyrodil, updating next gen console graphics, companions, and other Blackwood DLC.

"fixing cyrodiil" they must have been fixing something else because they for damn sure haven't even remotely fixed cyrodiil
  • Anonx31st
    Anonx31st
    ✭✭✭
    Anonx31st wrote: »

"fixing cyrodiil" they must have been fixing something else because they for damn sure haven't even remotely fixed cyrodiil

Attempting to fix* is what I meant when I used the word fixing. :)