The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Magicka Templar DPS/Healer for Vet Pledges

Amorpho
Amorpho
✭✭✭✭
Hi all,

I'm thinking about a Magplar DPS/Healer hybrid for Vet pledges (group finder). Most people are able to self-heal (especially since the ring of PO) so healing is not as demanding. However, tanks would still benefit - especially in harder content.

I have some questions as I theory craft:
1. Sets - which ones provide a good combination of damage and utility? I was thinking MA, Kagrenacs, SPC?
2. Would you rely on resto skills or just templar heals like Extended Ritual and BoL?
3. Monster set - damage or support?
4. What skills should be a must?
I was thinking maybe MA front bar with, Kagrenacs on body a d Blood Spawn for ulti regen. Then either VMA destro on backbar or VDSA resto.

Pardon the ignorance, I only ever DPS'd on all my chars!
Edited by Amorpho on March 26, 2021 11:02PM
The Gaming Rev
YouTube channel - https://youtube.com/c/TheGamingRev

Characters

PVE
Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer - Master Crafter
Magicka Templar, Altmer
Magicka Nightblade, Breton
Stamina Nightblade, Khajiit

PVP
Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
Magicka Templar, Altmer
Stamina Templar, Orsimer
Stamina Dragonknight, Dunmer
Stamina Warden, Orsimer

Aldmeri Dominion - 1700+ CP

XboxOne EU
  • jekyto
    jekyto
    ✭✭✭
    What you asking for is exactly either roaring opportunist + jorvulds guidance or zens redress + martial knowledge builds
  • Amorpho
    Amorpho
    ✭✭✭✭
    jekyto wrote: »
    What you asking for is exactly either roaring opportunist + jorvulds guidance or zens redress + martial knowledge builds

Doesn't MA have a better uptime than RO? Also, what could I run instead of Jorvulds?
    I have never farmed healer sets...
    Edited by Amorpho on March 27, 2021 2:22AM
    The Gaming Rev

Characters

PVE
    Magicka Templar, Altmer

PVP
    Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
    Magicka Templar, Altmer
    Stamina Templar, Orsimer
    Stamina Warden, Orsimer

XboxOne EU
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Got grouped with a healer the other day that seemed to have nothing but DPS skills slotted, but was still consistently providing SPC buff to us somehow. When we landed in our dungeon they said something like, "Stay close to me and we stomp this quick" with no further explanation and off we all went.

Observing a little closer, they looked to be wearing SPC + Almalexia's Mercy which meant they could just rely on the constant auto-healing to keep everyone alive (as long as we were close enough) and buffed with Major Courage. Plus they had the Symphony set on so we all got a nice little recovery boost as well. All without actively doing anything to heal us, besides maybe some intentional positioning changes. They got to play the dungeon like a DPS, but they still fulfilled the role of healer really well... even though they kind of did that part on "auto-pilot". It was honestly kind of impressive. IIRC, the heal was about 2K per second, at all times.

It seemed like a pretty neat build that I'm definitely going to try after seeing it in action (we were in a vet Mazzatun, fwiw). Sounds like the kind of thing you're looking for, OP. Outside of an emergency burst heal (which if my example dude had slotted, I never once saw them use), this build might be perfect for your goal.

The only glaring difficulty I could see with this build is situations where you have to be separated from your tank for any significant time or distance. (Or if your randoms stray or stand in stupid a lot... or if everyone is running Pale Order -- but that's a problem with any build, so kind of moot.) It didn't seem to be an issue in our group. I have no idea what the tank was up to, or if the healer was pre-grouped with any of the other randoms I got thrown in with; it was just me and 3 strangers.

For your questions:
    1 - SPC is your damage, Almalexia is your "utility"/healing, and Symphony is more utility (but only for group, not you)
    2 - They were running double Destro staves, and I never saw any healing skills besides Purifying Light (if you wanna count that as one)
    3 - Support from Symphony was nice, but I personally could live without resource support from healers in dungeons; I gave up on relying on randoms for sustain, and I reckon most people in vet randoms are geared up similarly. Go with a damage set if you like, imo.
    4 - As said above, our healer skipped "must have" skills like Combat Prayer or any burst heal as far as I could see. They were doing Ele Drain and throwing Shards (and Orbs, but the damage morph on both), plus their Ritual of Retribution gave that synergy. Synergies are obviously good. Purifying Light was a nice HoT + the Minor Sorcery is always welcome. They used that Nova morph that gives the super synergy as well. Up to you how many of those are "must-haves".
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    use alphagear/dressroom addon and make yourself two presets - full healer and full dps (with Extended ritual though). Switch between presets depends on the situation, cuz vet _DLC_ dungeons could be tough without a real healer since you aim to play with PUGs.

You may have SPC on both presets.
    Edited by mocap on March 27, 2021 5:47AM
  • Amorpho
    Amorpho
    ✭✭✭✭
    GreenHere wrote: »
    Got grouped with a healer the other day that seemed to have nothing but DPS skills slotted, but was still consistently providing SPC buff to us somehow. When we landed in our dungeon they said something like, "Stay close to me and we stomp this quick" with no further explanation and off we all went.

Observing a little closer, they looked to be wearing SPC + Almalexia's Mercy which meant they could just rely on the constant auto-healing to keep everyone alive (as long as we were close enough) and buffed with Major Courage. Plus they had the Symphony set on so we all got a nice little recovery boost as well. All without actively doing anything to heal us, besides maybe some intentional positioning changes. They got to play the dungeon like a DPS, but they still fulfilled the role of healer really well... even though they kind of did that part on "auto-pilot". It was honestly kind of impressive. IIRC, the heal was about 2K per second, at all times.

It seemed like a pretty neat build that I'm definitely going to try after seeing it in action (we were in a vet Mazzatun, fwiw). Sounds like the kind of thing you're looking for, OP. Outside of an emergency burst heal (which if my example dude had slotted, I never once saw them use), this build might be perfect for your goal.

The only glaring difficulty I could see with this build is situations where you have to be separated from your tank for any significant time or distance. (Or if your randoms stray or stand in stupid a lot... or if everyone is running Pale Order -- but that's a problem with any build, so kind of moot.) It didn't seem to be an issue in our group. I have no idea what the tank was up to, or if the healer was pre-grouped with any of the other randoms I got thrown in with; it was just me and 3 strangers.

For your questions:
    1 - SPC is your damage, Almalexia is your "utility"/healing, and Symphony is more utility (but only for group, not you)
    2 - They were running double Destro staves, and I never saw any healing skills besides Purifying Light (if you wanna count that as one)
    3 - Support from Symphony was nice, but I personally could live without resource support from healers in dungeons; I gave up on relying on randoms for sustain, and I reckon most people in vet randoms are geared up similarly. Go with a damage set if you like, imo.
    4 - As said above, our healer skipped "must have" skills like Combat Prayer or any burst heal as far as I could see. They were doing Ele Drain and throwing Shards (and Orbs, but the damage morph on both), plus their Ritual of Retribution gave that synergy. Synergies are obviously good. Purifying Light was a nice HoT + the Minor Sorcery is always welcome. They used that Nova morph that gives the super synergy as well. Up to you how many of those are "must-haves".

Almalexia and SPC sounds like a really clever combination however, like you say, it will not apply major courage to players running the ring of pale order - cause you can't heal them, and this is a very popular mythic nowadays.

Also, I'm on console so I don't have access to the dressroom addon 😔
    The Gaming Rev

Characters

PVE
    Magicka Templar, Altmer

PVP
    Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
    Magicka Templar, Altmer
    Stamina Templar, Orsimer
    Stamina Warden, Orsimer

XboxOne EU
  • Elendir2am
    Elendir2am
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do most healing with winter's respite which I keep in place with Luminous Shards. It heals everybody in circle 3K+/s with my setup. If group stay together, I spend most time on my of-hand destroy staff with templar and destroy DD skills.

I use support monster set and have resto with heling on front side (templar and resto), however I need them only when somebody leave formation.
    Edited by Elendir2am on March 27, 2021 9:21AM
  • jekyto
    jekyto
    ✭✭✭
    Is pretty much about how youre able to keep uptimes, ro + jorv is pretty easy and effective build, you can have real healing skills, youll provide great group buffs while able to dps too. Such builds as spc/ almalexia need too much of coordinated group and in some hardmodes you may have real problems. As far as i know theres no alternative of jorvulds.

Also if youre optimised group, tank can use olo and there will be no content you cant do
    Edited by jekyto on March 27, 2021 4:54PM
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO, Jorvulds is inefficient in a Vetdungeon. Because simply how many Buffs are you going to apply?

Major Force? For 2 DDs, of whom you cannot say if they can actually utilize it? NOPE
    Minor Sorcery? In a PuG? Where you cannot influence wether you get Stam or Mag builds?
    Minor Brutality/Minor Resolve? Which you will have to recast any way every 6 to 8 secs if you wish to keep your VetPuG healthy and SPC Uptime high? NOPE
    Major Brutality/Major Slayer? Okay, but from what source? You will already be giving out doing damage at that point (Jorvund is 2x Recovery plus 4% Healingdone, only). and 10% more is not equal to what you could do as a DPS, instead. Not by far.

There are more examples, but I think you get my point. In Trials? Jorvuld is a must. No Question. But a 4 Player PuG? You are giving up just too much for something of limited use at best. This is my Opinion, based on my experience. Okay?

My recommendation: Go Full on DPS. But do take Spell Power Cure. It is both selfish and helps the group. Even if it is just boosting the light attacks of that inevitable Bosmer BowBow LA Spammer. And as a supplemental take Mothers Sorrow or Medusa, whatever you have stored away in you closet. Helps both Crit Damage and Crit Healing.

This is how I run now in U29. I take MS Lightning Staff/w precise or Resto Staff/w powered on the frontbar, depending on the group and the needs of the Boss fight. I get to 6K Spell Damage with SPC and can either fully DPS for ~25k to 35K or focus on healing and still do 15k to 20k DPS.

Works for me. B)
    read, think and write.In that order.