The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Trial sets useless?

kaisernick
kaisernick
✭✭✭✭✭
So i have been looking at builds for pve since the new update and now thats it has been a while i have has a look at optemisinng my builds and it seems almost all recomend either overland or deungon gear.
So what is the point of trial gear now, it seems almost like its useless?
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Depends on what content and what roles are you aiming for and overall group setup being magicka or stamina. There is always trial gear rotating for best in slot setups in agreed upon meta. As always there are things like yoln, relequen, pfg, siroria etc. which are seen widely.
  • Arkew
    Arkew
    ✭✭✭
    rip twilight remedy, i'm the only one to use this but he are bad now because minor force are buff easy to reach for dd.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not necessarily. Siroria is not "meta" anymore but its still a very, very strong magicka set and works very well on stationary boss fights. I don't know anyone who runs group PVE on a stamina character without Relequen. While Tzvogins and Kinras are now the preferable 2nd stam set, AY is still a strong second stam set, too.

You also should keep in mind that a set like KInras is strong, but is favored over something like Tzvogins because if multiple players wear it in a raid, the group gets Major and Minor Berserk. I don't know if Kinras alone would outperform AY, but I'm guessing that if you were proficient in keeping your stacks up with AY before the update, you can still effectively use it now.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Siroria is still the best set for Magicka DPS. I believe Relequen still beats anything else on Stamina DPS. False Gods is also looking significantly better now than it was last patch, mostly because Medusa and Sorrow both lost a good amount of crit, and Minor Slayer is more valuable now.
  • kaisernick
    kaisernick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Siroria is still the best set for Magicka DPS. I believe Relequen still beats anything else on Stamina DPS. False Gods is also looking significantly better now than it was last patch, mostly because Medusa and Sorrow both lost a good amount of crit, and Minor Slayer is more valuable now.

that is good to know i was concerned that all my trial sets for magicka espically were useless, granted im not after min/maxing but i always hope to be useful in group content and i was worried that id have to scrap all my gar for sorrow and medusa.
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    TL;DR - Wear any of the "good" gear sets for your spec, and you'll be fine. ROTATIONROTATIONROTATION.

With everything getting kind of equalized lately you're at less risk than ever of your stuff becoming useless, actually.

Mother's Sorrow & Medusa might be getting recommended in seemingly everyone's builds lately, but they're not head & shoulders above everything else or anything like that. It's just that with crit being harder to stack than before, these sets are even more attractive because crit is still the strongest stat (maybe after penetration). Most sets are closer together in damage potential than ever now, so you can get away with whatever you like (within reason) and still be doing pretty good. Don't forget that many (most?) builds are catered toward posting impressive dummy numbers, but not necessarily great "real" performance.

If False God's & Burning Spellweave (or whatever your jam is) is still giving you good damage AND sustain & survivability in the content you run, then you're going to be disappointed when you switch over to MS + Medusa only to find you suddenly struggle with sustain and got ~3% more dps to show for it. Or even a dps loss, due to sustain issues or whatever. I've seen people complain about this a lot pretty much every time the meta shifts and they gold out new sets.

Unless you're truly hitting a ceiling on your personal performance (perfect rotation, weaving, etc.) then gear changes will often make marginal differences -- especially now, with the recent changes. And if you're that close to top-tier already, then you can kind of get away with running any gear you want, since your damage is likely already above like 90% of the player base. :P

Those precious few percentage points in damage difference between the best and the rest only really matter for score pushers, tbh. Groups clear vet HM trials with "good enough" sets all the time; it's more about player performance. Don't let YouTube or whatever fool you into thinking otherwise.
  • Krayl
    Krayl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Siroria is still BiS for any fights where you can keep a good uptime for most classes.

PFG is still useful in situations where sustain is a problem.

War Machine/MA is useful in groups without RO

RO is useful in trial groups, but usually on a healer (but still a useful trial set)

Olorime BiS healers

Galenwe an option more than ever for trial tanks

Relequen still a BiS stam set

Yolnakriin still the premier tank set

Alkosh still useful on trash and stam groups

IA not super useful anymore but can still be useful in groups without another consistent source of minor vuln

AY still a ~bis stam set

Vicious Ophidian still a great set in arenas or other places where you're getting lots of kills

TFS still a great set

Kyne's Wind is often overlooked but another decent set to add some group sustain

Mending is as good as ever since mitigation has been nerfed a bit.

so naw, trial sets aren't useless.