The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How can I prevent running out of stamina

volkeswagon
volkeswagon
✭✭✭✭✭
I have great difficulty in dungeons and trials because I run out of stamina and potions do little. Once I run out I basically become useless as I would have to just spam heavy attacks for 30 seconds. In my opinion it's one of the flaws with this game as skills use too much resources and the glyphs and skills meant to help that don't do enough.
Edited by volkeswagon on March 19, 2021 9:42PM
  • hafgood
    hafgood
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its difficult to say as I have no idea of your set up, CP level, etc.

But I am just under CP1300, am stamplar and without food have base stam regen of 1500ish going up to 1900 with Dubious Cameron.

I use deadly / rele / slimecraw helm / grundwulf shoulders and am dw / bow. Race Redguard.

CP as per skinnycheeks Balanced CP Stam dd route and applied for my level.

I use pots that give extra stam / stam regen

My stam regeneration is better than ever and I'm having to heavy attack a lot less now, in fact hardly at all. I did a parse on a 21 million dummy forgetting to eat and without food never ran out of stamina, it was close buy I just managed to get through the parse without issues.

Are you LA weaving? Are you spamming skills too fast? Are all your attributes in stam? Are you a tank / Healer/ dd?
  • TBois
    TBois
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep in mind pots buff your resource regeneration as well as giving you some resources right away. Because of the resource regeneration and other pot buffs you should use them on cooldown to maximize these benefits.
    Current Guilds: Fantasia
    Former Guilds: Decibel, Hagnado, Lemon Party

PC/NA
    T-Bois (Stam Sorc since 1.4) - AD
    An Unsettling Snowball (Templar) - AD
    Bosquecito (Stam Sorc) - DC
    Peti-T-Bois (Stamden) - AD

Youtube
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hmm. How could that be? Did you, by any chance, pick up a build from a web-site that was designed for group play? In organised group play you get resources from synergies, such as templar shards and the mystic orb bubbles everyone is throwing out. As a magicka class someone will probably put Minor Magicka Steal on the boss, such as via Elemental Drain. A healer may wear a set that gives you resources from them healing you, and so on.

If this is what happened, just change your build. You don't want to heavy attack and neither do I. My builds typically have arounbd the 2K mark in stam regen, but it depends on class. As a templar run Restoring Focus and Repentance. For (solo) PvE, wear a set like Vicious Ophidian, if you have it, or Vengeance Leech or some other set that gives you sustain. As a DK, wear Bloodspawn. More ultimates = more sustain on DK. As a warden, run the Bull Netch. As a nightblade, run Leeching Strikes. As a sorcerer, possibly run Dark Deal, although I view that more as a PvP skill and not ideal for PvE, due to the cast time. Do slot Bound Armaments as a stamsorc though and take the Siphoning skill line regen passive as a nightblade. Also don't forget the Medicinal Use Alchemy passive, so your potions last longer. As a woodelf you get stam regen. As a Redguard you get stamina from attacking. As a high elf, I belive you even get some stamina. As an Argonian you get more resources from drinking a potion. And so on. You don't require high CP, but you do have to invest skill points correctly.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You have 6 forum stars to your name. You must have been around. Pardon me, but this sounds like a beginner problem though ... I mean I can only guess you're a beginner at the high-end content. I can only assure you that this is not a common problem, so the only thing I can think of is that you're running a minimum sustain, organised group build in non-organised groups that don't give you any sustain via synergies and such. For what it's worth I participate in such groups with my solo build (swapping out the Pale Order ring for something else, usually). For what it's worth, that build is here:

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=306920

I realise this is a catch-22 high-end endgame build that uses trial and arena sets. You don't have to copy that build exactly though. It's a really safe build defensively and sustain-wise, as it was designed for vVateshran runs. In group play you should neither need Brawler nor the sustain from Vicious Ophidian. Maybe this will give you an idea where the regen values need to be, though.
    Edited by fred4 on March 20, 2021 1:40AM
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • volkeswagon
    volkeswagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my stamina recovery is 1825. i just find it drains so fast and recovers very slow even with that stat. it seems to have worsened since the update
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heavy attack once in a while to return resources. It gets better as you level up bc you kill things faster.
    Athan Atticus Imperial Templar of Shezarr
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my stamina recovery is 1825. i just find it drains so fast and recovers very slow even with that stat. it seems to have worsened since the update

It does seem to have. I had to rework my stamplar a bit to get my stamina regen up to about 2350 unbuffed in order to get the susutain I needed with buff food. Nothing some infused regen jewellery couldn't fix.
    Too many toons not enough time
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Food/Drink, Potions on cooldown, Synergy usage, Regen enchants on jewelry, Heavy attacks, Specific class sustain tools, excessive blocking or dodging, and of course, a proper rotation, are all going to affect your sustain.

I would suggest getting on a trial dummy and doing some parsing, so you can make adjustments as needed. One of the biggest problems you see inexperienced players make is that they wait until they are out of a resource in the middle of combat to do anything about it.

If you have base sustain of 1825 in PVE, that should be more than sufficient to sustain a proper damage rotation. My money is on excessive use of Block/Dodge roll, or a bad rotation where you are overcasting expensive abilities, or of course, a combo of the two.