The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Trading crowns for gold question

Hygiliack
Hygiliack
I had the understanding, although never done it myself, that it was allowed to send crown store items to peers in exchange for gold, and there was a guy in a FB group that posted some info stating that the accounts were being banned for this(Selling crowns for in game gold), the post has already been removed, but I just want to confirm, I don't really see why I would trade crowns, as there is always something I want to get from the crown store and gold is relatively easy to come by for a crafter, but still, good to know if that is the case
  • solidstate77ub17_ESO
    It's perfectly acceptable to trade, but be warned ZOS will not have your back if you get scammed. It happened to me so I know. Best to go through your guild or friends and use a mediator, like a guild leader.
  • Araphorn
    Araphorn
    ✭✭
    They are relatively safe to trade, although avoid doing it with randoms. There are plenty of discord servers you can use to trade them safely with.
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's perfectly acceptable to trade, but be warned ZOS will not have your back if you get scammed. It happened to me so I know. Best to go through your guild or friends and use a mediator, like a guild leader.

They actually can if you have good proof. But using a middleman/mediator is the wisest if you are unsure.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • solidstate77ub17_ESO
    Why am I still waiting, then, 8 months after being scammed and after sending support all of the necessary screenshots? No, you're on your own.
  • SianTamzin
    SianTamzin
    ✭✭✭
    Why am I still waiting, then, 8 months after being scammed and after sending support all of the necessary screenshots? No, you're on your own.

It's more like a 50/50 thing, ESO have given warnings about the risks of doing this so there's not a 100% chance you're getting your gold back but they'll likely ban the player who scammed. The times I've seen people get their gold back is because they've lost hundred of thousands to a scammer.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never understood this Crowns for Gold thing. I mean gold is so easy to get in this game, why spend real money for it.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• ThorianB
    ThorianB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Never understood this Crowns for Gold thing. I mean gold is so easy to get in this game, why spend real money for it.
    Many people don't have or don't want to spend the time. Take the gold from crafting dailies for example. With selling intricates you should be able to make 5k from each character. If you have have 8 characters that is 40k gold. If it takes you 5 minutes to do each daily you spent 40k gold for 40 minutes of work or 60k an hour.

Let's say you make $15/hr. You buy 1500 crowns. You sell those crowns for 300:1. You have made 450k gold. So you spent 1 hour making 450k gold as opposed to 1 hour making 60k gold. And that is for a relatively low paying job. The more real money you make an hour the better the trade.

So if you have the money to spend but not the time and don't enjoy grinding for gold, then selling crowns is a great choice. If you have a lot of time but not a lot of money to spend on the game, then grinding for crowns is a good choice.

Time is finite commodity, you can always make more money.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I make almost $60 an hour, still don't see the need to buy gold.

I guess it is because i can gather a couple hundred thousand gold just playing the game for a few hours. And, ESO is my TV.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• ThorianB
    ThorianB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I make almost $60 an hour, still don't see the need to buy gold.

I guess it is because i can gather a couple hundred thousand gold just playing the game for a few hours. And, ESO is my TV.

But you ENJOY making gold. I do to. I also make a very comfortable living and have a sizable gaming budget and could just buy gold. Making gold is one of my favorite in game activities...farming/trading/etc. But i know it's not some people's cup of tea.
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can be banned for "selling Crowns" if that means someone buys you Crowns for your account with real money and you give them gold in-game.

Gifting a player an item from the Crown store in exchange for gold (what "selling Crowns" usually means) is not against any rule, as people have said above, and is in fact somewhat supported by ZoS.
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • solidstate77ub17_ESO
    I lost 900k 8 months ago. The worst thing is support tells you IF we can retrieve your gold we will, and also we aren't going to tell you what we do, if anything, to the offender. They told me it's a buyer-beware environment. I had 21 mil but it's the fact that I thought zos had my back, even after I submitted screenshots. They just left me hanging with no real resolution.

I almost want to msg people in game that are looking to buy crowns and tell them my story because I'd hate for anyone to go through what I did. It took me 8 months off of the game to cool down and decide to play eso again.

I wish they'd implement a trading system for crowns for gold, or else be way more vocal about their belief system in regards to this buyer-beware environment.
    Edited by solidstate77ub17_ESO on March 30, 2021 6:30AM
  • Wildberryjack
    Wildberryjack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try to find someone who regularly sells crowns, they're way less likely to rip you off. Check in your guilds too. Also, always conduct the communication in the game chat so there is a record for ZOS to see if they do rip you off. Never make the agreement over Discord.

I sell crowns sometimes and do always insist on getting the gold first because I'm trading you real money for fake money so the greater risk is to me. Most crown traders feel this way.
    The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls. ~Pablo Picasso
  • VoidCommander
    VoidCommander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ThorianB wrote: »
    Many people don't have or don't want to spend the time. Take the gold from crafting dailies for example. With selling intricates you should be able to make 5k from each character. If you have have 8 characters that is 40k gold. If it takes you 5 minutes to do each daily you spent 40k gold for 40 minutes of work or 60k an hour.

Let's say you make $15/hr. You buy 1500 crowns. You sell those crowns for 300:1. You have made 450k gold. So you spent 1 hour making 450k gold as opposed to 1 hour making 60k gold. And that is for a relatively low paying job. The more real money you make an hour the better the trade.

So if you have the money to spend but not the time and don't enjoy grinding for gold, then selling crowns is a great choice. If you have a lot of time but not a lot of money to spend on the game, then grinding for crowns is a good choice.

Time is finite commodity, you can always make more money.

But if you have maxed crafting passives, then you also get gold upgrade materials, averaging an extra 15k per character. This brings your gains to 20k per character, times 8 to get to 160k an “hour,” which can be EXTREMELY expedited by having pre-made crafting writs like jewelry, enchanting, provisioning, and alchemy, all of which can cut your crafting time in half.

currently I have 15 characters with maxed crafting passives, and I can get them all done in well less than an hour due to the shortcuts I mentioned. Really big time investment up from, but ultimately leads to fast gold, netting about 300k in an hour, not including the value from stacking up a dozen of each crafting survey and doing those.