Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is Having an AFK Alternate Account in a Group Dungeon Against ToS?

VoidCommander
VoidCommander
✭✭✭✭✭
Scenario: A player is fake tanking by being a dps instead. They queue as a tank, while they have a below level 45 alternate account queue with them as a healer. The queue resolves instantly, and the alternate character is left motionless for the duration of the dungeon, while the fake tank proceeds to complete the dungeon.

Neither the fake tank, nor the absent healer are able to be kicked due to it being impossible for the 2 pugs to vote with a majority. There is nothing stopping the fake tank from blasting through the dungeon in a "speed-strat" mode, since there is no fear of being kicked anymore.

Perhaps the fake tank is using this method to power-level two accounts at once, by completing two (or more?) daily random normal dungeons on two accounts simultaneously.

I looked at the Terms of Service, and I can't really see anything specific that would make this scenario a violation. The closest thing could maybe be "no account sharing," but it wouldn't be account sharing if they legitimately owned two accounts, which I know many players do. So long as they are not using a method to artificially create actions on the alternate account (such as the rubber banded controller or macros) I don't see how this could violate the terms of service. Would this be a reportable/punishable offense?

I would like expert advice on the matter if possible.

@ZOS_GinaBruno
  • deleted221106-002999
    deleted221106-002999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Here's a very recent thread on pretty much what you describe: Group Finder Hack, Against TOS?

Good luck getting an updated official response, though.

edit: typo
    Edited by deleted221106-002999 on March 15, 2021 9:46AM
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've seen a version of this used to guarantee a low level random normal like EH1. But the low level dummy healer gets kicked once the group queues in. Only seen it with organized groups, never with a pug.
  • VoidCommander
    VoidCommander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen a version of this used to guarantee a low level random normal like EH1. But the low level dummy healer gets kicked once the group queues in. Only seen it with organized groups, never with a pug.

They probably get kicked so that they don't level up, which would eventually make them useless as a "dummy healer."
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

They probably get kicked so that they don't level up, which would eventually make them useless as a "dummy healer."

Exactly. Their only role is to guarantee low level randoms for other characters.
  • Rittings
    Rittings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is against TOS because multi-boxing is not allowed. you can have multiple accounts, but you can only be on one of them at any given time.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rittings wrote: »
    This is against TOS because multi-boxing is not allowed. you can have multiple accounts, but you can only be on one of them at any given time.

How would you prove it though? Multiple people could be playing from the same house. Maybe one of them crashed or was afk.
  • vesselwiththepestle
    vesselwiththepestle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually not true.

qd5i83fqupyp.png

I'd just use a level 10 account for that and kick him as soon as you enter the dungeon. You will get Fungal Grotto 1 only. Do it 18 times a day. Good XP. Better than nBRP? I don't know. It involves a lot of re-logging, creating new groups, loading screens...
    1000+ CP
    PC/EU Ravenwatch Daggerfall Covenant

Give me my wings back!
  • VoidCommander
    VoidCommander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually not true.

qd5i83fqupyp.png

I'd just use a level 10 account for that and kick him as soon as you enter the dungeon. You will get Fungal Grotto 1 only. Do it 18 times a day. Good XP. Better than nBRP? I don't know. It involves a lot of re-logging, creating new groups, loading screens...

Yeah I was gunna mention that the ToS did not mention multi-boxing even once. While I would like to get clarification from @ZOS_JessicaFolsom on this scenario specifically, this does seem to follow what the ToS actually suggest, which is that being logged in but afk is perfectly fine, but performing actions simultaneously through the use of external software is strictly prohibited.

@vesselwiththepestle do you have a link to the specific forum thread that screenshot was taken from so I can see its context for myself?
  • vesselwiththepestle
    vesselwiththepestle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @VoidCommander

This thread will give detailed information on what is allowed: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6488114/#Comment_6488114

1000+ CP
    PC/EU Ravenwatch Daggerfall Covenant

Give me my wings back!