The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

U29, the anti loot patch?

qwudd
qwudd
✭✭✭
Gonna do some testing/dummyhumping today, so might not off course be as bad as my hyperbole thread title 😅.

but im expecting the worst regarding build variety since i saw alcasts latest magbuilds for this patch. Off course, this is only one content creators idea.

He suggests medusa+mothers sorrow. All inte crit for all his mag builds.

So, why have i farmed perfected siro, pfg, masters weapons, etc etc this past year?

If crit finally, when push comes to shove (you gotta choose either crit or spelldmg), rules superior then your making a damn overland set and one set from one of the simplest dungeons ever META? Whats the point of the loot introduced after 2015 then?

Similar thing going on for pvp, everything is useless beyond a few old pure stat sets?

I love farming, and i like complicated set mechanisms for variety.

It gets me thinking, whats the point of two competing damage stats (crit or dmg)?

If your making them incompatible we will get a situation where one will mathematically beat the other based on available sets, leading to droves of sets and items being "ruled out". I think they need to add some form of qualitative difference for these stats, just like stam and mag is stats with several other qualities beyond dmg.
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Most builds that I've seen for endgame are still using siroria or false god with mother's sorrow or medusa, running the thief stone. A few classes, like magplar or magblade, can run mechanical acuity. Look up Skinnycheeks, Liko, Sparrow, etc for more builds.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    qwudd wrote: »
    If crit finally, when push comes to shove (you gotta choose either crit or spelldmg), rules superior then your making a damn overland set and one set from one of the simplest dungeons ever META?

That's been the case for awhile.

Seriously, Mother's Sorrow has been a big ticket item since it was added. There have been serious endgame sets scattered through the base game dungeons for ages.

ESO doesn't have a simple Crafted < Overland < Dungeon < Raid structure to its gear sets. Gear sets are (roughly) balanced against one another (or at least, they're supposed to be balanced.) The only step up is from normal to perfected versions, and even that is marginal in most cases. It's really important to understand this.

ESO is not about a linear gear progression. If the META refines down to a handful of sets, they will get slapped down. It's not about a set being too powerful (though, that usually comes with it), it's when "everyone" is using that set.

There was, legitimately, a time when Trainee... literally a starter set, was one of the best tanking picks in the game, and it is still very competitive (if you want a 3pc set.)

So, yeah, you were farming gear, and your reward for that is you now have all that gear unlocked in the set collections, so that if (down the road) there's another change which favors it again, you don't have to collect it again. (Unless you scrapped most of the other parts before the Set Collection system was announced, in which case, I feel ya.)
  • preevious
    preevious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good catch.

It seems it's a nasty side effect of lowering crit ratings. Since people need crits, it lowers the number of set to use.

To the point that even minor slayer becomes optional ..
    Edited by preevious on March 8, 2021 9:52AM
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Deshaan and Arx Corinium are going to be absolutely knee deep in angry PVP players. Should make the normal dungeon pug runs entertaining 😆
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Deshaan and Arx Corinium are going to be absolutely knee deep in angry PVP players. Should make the normal dungeon pug runs entertaining 😆

Medusa’s fifth piece won’t work in PvP until Q3, so maybe just Deshaan?
  • Scardan
    Scardan
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Idk if it is a good idea, losing spell damage, your reliable, always present source of damage to gain crit chance which can fail 9 times out of ten due to randomness of its nature.

I do not think that build diversity in meta will decrease, there were in my opinion already none.
    Edited by Scardan on March 8, 2021 10:52AM
    Let's be extremely precise in our use of terms.
  • Vermintide
    Vermintide
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gear balance is pretty good in this game. You can get within I dunno, like 5-10% close to a top end meta crit build using the same theory on a max stat or spell damage build, it's all swings and roundabouts. It's about finding that sweet spot of balance that works for you and your skills; and of course you need a good group providing all the buffs and support to make the most of those bleeding edge meta builds.

(Trial dummies have a lot to answer for I think ;) )

Besides the game is more fun if you just stop caring about the meta and start building your own setups for fun. PVP allows more of this than PVE, which is probably why I spend more time on it, but I've been having a great time lately doing vet dungeons with my gf as a duo, using my unkillable frost necro.
    Edited by Vermintide on March 8, 2021 10:56AM
  • CipherNine
    CipherNine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is this mythical variety people act like ESO has always had? End game has always came down to the same few sets everyone uses. The whole theorycrafting and variety has never existed. Always been a meta of the same few sets
    Edited by CipherNine on March 8, 2021 10:52AM
    PC-NA
    Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Argonian Necromancer - Healer
    Breton Warden - Healer
    Nord Necromancer - Tank
    Argonian Templar - Tank
    Nord Warden - Tank
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol, the only piece of Medusa I DONT have is the frost staff, naturally I need it but it’s funny it’ll be a meta set now. I only used it because I don’t like the cast time on channeled accel
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd suggest think for yourself, there are sure way better setups available and viable, I'd even say we have more options and even different mundus options which is pretty unheard of lately.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CipherNine wrote: »
    Where is this mythical variety people act like ESO has always had? End game has always came down to the same few sets everyone uses. The whole theorycrafting and variety has never existed. Always been a meta of the same few sets

No.

I get what you're talking about, but, no.

A lot of people have gravitated towards specific content creators and their builds, which does lead to uniformity. However, they've never been the only answer. In fact, I can think of a couple over the years who were actively detrimental to the players running their builds.

There's a lot of stuff that, "everyone knows it's junk," gear that's performed very well for years. But, because it's not featured by your favorite creator, "it's junk."

A fun game to play is look at the creators rushing to say, "X is good this patch," when the set in question hasn't changed in years. It happens way more often than you'd think.
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scardan wrote: »

Idk if it is a good idea, losing spell damage, your reliable, always present source of damage to gain crit chance which can fail 9 times out of ten due to randomness of its nature.

I do not think that build diversity in meta will decrease, there were in my opinion already none.

When it comes to spell dmg we all got 1k spell dmg for free with new update.
  • aleksandr_ESO
    aleksandr_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    So, why have i farmed perfected siro, pfg, masters weapons, etc etc this past year?

because we all had a different meta
  • aleksandr_ESO
    aleksandr_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Most builds that I've seen for endgame are still using siroria or false god with mother's sorrow or medusa, running the thief stone. A few classes, like magplar or magblade, can run mechanical acuity. Look up Skinnycheeks, Liko, Sparrow, etc for more builds.

you saw dummy builds
  • wheresbes
    wheresbes
    ✭✭✭✭

Nightblade says hello :)

(Xynode already had a "flawless" build for magblade with 99.9% critical chance on front bar - or slightly less if minor prophecy is not provided by a sorc)
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CipherNine wrote: »

More that most people just blindly copy the builds from 3 or 4 'big' names, even when some of them have obvious improvements and the authors acknowledge they like built it for stats, tried it on a dummy and posted it and that's all they ever did with it. If you tune to your own play style and try and work with more sets then you'll beat many of the posted builds.

(I don't blame anyone for using them - the logical approach to 'here's a mindboggingly complex system you don't care about' is to copy a known working config).
    Too many toons not enough time
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    preevious wrote: »
    Good catch.

It seems it's a nasty side effect of lowering crit ratings. Since people need crits, it lowers the number of set to use.

yes, the key issue is that while they nerfed crit, they really didn't change the fundamentals in a way to not make it still the best option. Thereby making it even more important to stack, and harder to do so now.

• QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wheresbes wrote: »

(Xynode already had a "flawless" build for magblade with 99.9% critical chance on front bar - or slightly less if minor prophecy is not provided by a sorc)

link? ;)
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol, the only piece of Medusa I DONT have is the frost staff, naturally I need it but it’s funny it’ll be a meta set now. I only used it because I don’t like the cast time on channeled accel

been farming it for months because of not wanting to run channeled acc. Still need the neck, which is one of the rarer pieces apparently.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wheresbes wrote: »

link? ;)

Here.

I don't know if he's updated it for Flames yet, though knowing Xy, it'll almost certainly get an update with the new system.
  • Kadoozy
    Kadoozy
    ✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »

Medusa’s fifth piece won’t work in PvP until Q3, so maybe just Deshaan?

I heard they were extending the no proc cyrodiil change, didn't know it was until Q3. Did they release a statement on this?
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    preevious wrote: »
    Good catch.

yes, the key issue is that while they nerfed crit, they really didn't change the fundamentals in a way to not make it still the best option. Thereby making it even more important to stack, and harder to do so now.

You get magicka and a massive 1K spell damage for free. That makes using two full crit sets more viable. I can drop a damage/stat set for something else like crit and still have more health, mag, and spell damage than I had before.