Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 16:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Don't call it a bringback!

CasgarTheSomnolent
CasgarTheSomnolent
✭✭✭
C2lmlI3.jpg

Mama said knock it off.

Edited by CasgarTheSomnolent on March 3, 2021 11:49PM
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Erm, don't call what a bringback?
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think they meant the 'bringback' of old items. They use 'Crate bringback' as a noun. :sweat_smile:
    It would be more sensible to say 'Dwarven Crates RETURN for a limited time!' Or something.
    bringback.png

Funny thing is, that's not the first time they used phrases nobody would actually use... not too long ago, another forum thread pointed out that 'announce' is not a noun. So you can be 'thrilled to announce' but people can't 'tune in to our big announce'.
    announce.png
    They actually changed that. They use 'global reveal stream' now, instead of 'chapter announce' :smiley:
    ede3d6470fb485d5a411277b1e4c2b6d.jpg

Anyway, I'm not sure if this means that ESO's marketing is handled by outsourced non-native-speaker teams, or if it's a genuine attempt to use 'hip' or 'internetspeak' words that aren't commonly accepted.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @bluebird Thankyou, explains it.
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's 100% intuitive what "bringback" means, and it makes a concise and specific headline. It sounds more like industry language (ie "go-backs", which has been in use for a long time in retail) than any natural speech, but there's nothing really wrong with it. It doesn't need to be in a dictionary or have anyone's permission to be a word, just mutual understanding of its meaning.

And you can definitely use "announce" as a shortening of announcement, especially for a headline, where characters are conserved. None of this is new or "incorrect"—whatever that would mean.

Isn't this more a conversation about linguistic prescriptivism than it is about the crown store?
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • RedMuse
    RedMuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "My Bonnie is over the ocean, my Bonnie is over the sea."
    "My Bonnie is over the ocean. Oh bring back my Bonnie to me."
    "Bringback, bringback, oh bringback my Bonnie to me, to me."
    "Bringback, bringback, oh bringback my Bonnie to me."
  • Gruumsh1
    Gruumsh1
    ✭✭✭✭
    The problem is, people see it and start to think it's actually a word, like, Legos....

Fight the good fight Casgar! :D
    Gruumsh, Gruumsh, Gruumsh, Gruumsh, Miiighty Gruumsh!
  • winterscrolls229prerb18_ESO
    Okay.. seeing it once would have been petty to say anything, but twice nope. I completely agree.

[snip]

Thank you, bye.

[Edited to remove Rude Comments]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on March 23, 2021 3:20PM