The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Plight of Werewolf Questing-Towns and now recently, MoS

Zyva
Zyva
✭✭✭✭✭
I recently decided to completely play through the entire game again with a friend. I've done all achievements on my main and first did the main story quests on it nearly five or more years ago; so I was super excited, and still am, to very slowly work my way across Tamriel. We made new characters, we customized for each zone, read each book and listen to all dialogue and cutscenes.

It's been a lot of fun. Then, when we finally reached Greenshade, we decided to both become werewolves to play through both that zone, and Malabal Tor. We are doing the dungeon quests and all zone completion as we go through. This is where the fun began to go a bit sour. I have known for a while that they made changes to both Werewolves and Vampires to give you bounties in towns. I know they did this for roleplay reasons, so we were going to stay out of towns in our werewolf forms, all well and done.

*SOME QUEST SPOILERS BELOW*
However. DURING QUESTS, often our very own allies would scream at us. We would heap out bounties of 1k, 5k at a time. In quest areas! Out in the middle of nowhere. It was beyond annoying. Also, we could not even often DO the quest in werewolf form. In Shadow's Crawl, you had to just *point* at a hole in the ground so your ally could do some green glowy thing. And in werewolf form, nothing happened at all. NOTHING. meanwhile, wood elves around you were screaming *CUR* and up the bounty ticked, while actual hollowmen were attacking them that we had to go and kill to save them the ungrateful little cannibals. I picked the hollowman thank you very much, by the way, at least the hollowmen don't call me a cur while I'm saving them.

Then, in the MOS dungeon in greenshade. Mechanics require you to sneak. You cant sneak as a werewolf. This dungeon was MADE during the wolf hunter patch, rise of the werewolves, etc. You cant do the thing the whole way through as a werewolf which is beyond sad.

Simply being unable to predict which quest zones and quest companions will FREAK out and give you a bounty when you tried to use your skills was annoying. Not knowing what quest points you can go to, annoying. It made me not want to do it anymore :( which is very sad, because its fun to play. But by the time we completed the zone? I think I'd paid maybe paid 50k in bounties. And its just silly and feels pointless.

I might need to shelve the werewolf soon. I still plan to do Malabal Tor, see how it goes. But I don't know. And the future plans to do vampire for a couple zones, maybe those skills are easier to hide without a bounty, but that doesn't seem fair. I really wish there was some sort of change in quest points regarding the bounty for skills feature. Not just for werewolf/vampire, but necro skills as well. If I am trying to save your butt, I don't think you should be complaining so much about how I am doing it.
Zyvä (Nightblade) ~ Purricâne (Sorcerer) ~ Boñfürr (Dragonknight) ~ Cätnïp (Warden) ~ Boñespùrr (Necromancer)~ Catsänova (Templar)
  • jle30303
    jle30303
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember, werewolves and vampires are monsters. Necromancers are among the most monstrous type of profession. If you don't want to be called out for being a monster - don't be a monster.

People seem to have gotten confused by "Twilight" into thinking that vampires are all nice and sparkly... and by other similar fiction into thinking that werewolves are big lovable shaggy dogs.

The point of them is that *they* *are* *monsters*, and the ones that can be allowed to survive in human society are the ones that gain sufficient control over their monstrosity that they DO NOT commit monstrous acts.
  • jle30303
    jle30303
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And yes, you might mention Verandis Ravenwatch. The entire point is that he knows perfectly well what he is, and fights against his nature. So does his protege, Gwendis - who is seen to fight her own nature *and succeed* in the Rivenspire zone quest.

Even in TES V Skyrim, the inner circle of The Companions are werewolves - but they must have control over themselves: enough that the rest of the city, and even those Companions who are not members of the inner Circle, *do not know*. Because they keep the "beast" locked securely away, and caged, and even those like Aela or Skjor - the most enthusiastic werewolves of all of them - know not to show their wolf form in human society, only when they are hunting outlaws.

Come to think of it, even in the Harry Potter books, there is Remus Lupin, the "good" werewolf who takes a potion to effectively put him to sleep for a few days over the full moon. And, because the crucial confrontation with Sirius Black and Peter Pettigrew happens to be over a full moon, he loses control, becomes a beast, and has to flee while he still has something human left in his mind, instead of fighting the Dementors - which crucially allows Pettigrew to escape, because even Sirius Black cannot pursue Pettigrew (in rat form) OR Lupin (in wolf form) because he needs to stay with the kids and try his best, even with no wand, to protect them from both Dementors AND the possibility of Lupin turning up as a wolf.
  • Zyva
    Zyva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not talking about in towns. I understand the Roleplay aspects of it. I'm also not talking about other games, books, movies, etc.

I was meaning this game and outside of towns, in quest locations, doing quest points. Often trying to *complete* quest priorities. We couldnt click on some things while in werewolf form that were simply point and click things, as if they were never updated for this in the base game. And the allies around us that were *on our side* would give us bounties while we helped them, even though they asked us for help WHILE in werewolf form!

The reason I brought it up is because I am not sure this is intended. I think werewolf and vampire both should still be playable on quests. If it wasnt, then the quest givers would "refuse" to do business with us the same way merchant/banker etc would. The average quest shouldn't leave us with 15-25k in bounty just for using normal skills. (and I am talking AWAY FROM TOWN, in a quest location like the above example, Shadow's Crawl). And we should be able to interact with quest pieces in our werewolf forms if they are simply "pointing" at something. It just hasnt been updated.

But, at least its easier for werewolves than necromancers. They accidentally cast a skill on their bar in town and instantly get chased out all the time, i see it every day. I honestly feel if necromancy is a crime at this point for rp reasons in town, then sorc Daedra pets should be made them as well for "lore reasons" and lets see how many people blow up the forumns when they are getting bounties as well.
    Zyvä (Nightblade) ~ Purricâne (Sorcerer) ~ Boñfürr (Dragonknight) ~ Cätnïp (Warden) ~ Boñespùrr (Necromancer)~ Catsänova (Templar)