The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Please consider particle suppression for performance

Kwoung
Kwoung
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Honestly, every game I have ever played except ESO allowed players to turn their particles down to zero (or really close) if they so choose. In some games for raiding it was 100% necessary or you would constantly lag out and disconnect due to the extreme amount of particles that needed to be rendered with 24-48 players all casting stuff with massive effects. I would happily live without seeing all the extreme effects blasting across my screen, to the point where I can't even see the ground underneath me half the time, even on the lowest settings this game allows. Please, add an option to the client to turn this stuff down/off to our personal preferences... its unwanted eye candy in most situations.

It might even go a long ways towards solving the lag issue, nevermind me being to actually see what's going on around me.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kwoung wrote: »
    Honestly, every game I have ever played except ESO allowed players to turn their particles down to zero (or really close) if they so choose. In some games for raiding it was 100% necessary or you would constantly lag out and disconnect due to the extreme amount of particles that needed to be rendered with 24-48 players all casting stuff with massive effects. I would happily live without seeing all the extreme effects blasting across my screen, to the point where I can't even see the ground underneath me half the time, even on the lowest settings this game allows. Please, add an option to the client to turn this stuff down/off to our personal preferences... its unwanted eye candy in most situations.

It might even go a long ways towards solving the lag issue, nevermind me being to actually see what's going on around me.

But they want you to see all the shiny new flaming / glowing / sparkling / swirling mounts and armor you can spend your hard earned cash on. Being able to turn that stuff off would not be beneficial to the cash shop's bottom line.

They have actively reduced the particle effects on many skills and sets recently. But get in on a scroll run with a bunch of the newer flashy mounts or a large battle with many players running particle effect arms packs and watch your FPS drop.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do flappy pets and bears count as particles? It will affect whether I vote yes or no.
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Do flappy pets and bears count as particles? It will affect whether I vote yes or no.

Unfortunately no. Although I was able to supposedly turn off particles in the config file, but it didn't cover them all and it also made my login take like 3 minutes now as well. No idea how that is related, but the bulk of particles are gone and it makes the gameplay so much nicer being able to see whats going on.

As for lag, didn't help in Cyro, went LD when my screen filled with EP and missed yet another 100K tick after they were repelled... Grrr!
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kwoung wrote: »

Yes please.
  • AuraNebula
    AuraNebula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They don't care about performance. They found put disabling proc sets are no issue on performance and they are still getting rid of them.

Now their time will be devoted to figuring out how to fix proc sets rather than trying to fix performance.