The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why must one start from beginning stages of quest if they haven't completed final stage?

Dalevj47
Dalevj47
Soul Shriven
Why if I must signoff before completing a final stage in a quest do I lose ALL THE Previous quest stages and must start over. Makes no sense that due to Life's unexpected tasks I must start the quest from the beginning. Specifically, I started the quest that at the end requires me to kill Count Montclair. I had completed everything up to entering the final position where Montclair awaits. At that point, I needed to sign off in order to leave for an appointment. When I returned and signed on I found that I was starting over from the previous stages. Seems silly to me.

Best Answers

• Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure where that quest takes place, but if you log off while in a delve/dungeon/instanced zone, you will be taken back to the entrance.
    Athan Atticus Imperial Templar of Shezarr
    Answer ✓
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The why is because it's infinitely easier and resource efficient to keep track of checkpoints rather than everything completed.

"On this stage of the quest" as opposed to "on this stage of the quest, killed 4 of those monsters but not the ones in the back, and completed half the puzzle."

Your loot, xp whatever though is already in your character when you logged out, you don't miss any. Unless the server also had a problem. Those things are tracked separately from the quest checkpoints.

EDIT: With longer quests it's fair to wish the checkpoints occurred more frequently along the way. But they're unlikely to go back and update 5+ year old content.
    Edited by Fennwitty on February 24, 2021 4:48PM
    PC NA
    Answer ✓
  • Dalevj47
    Dalevj47
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you for the embellishment. Figured that an MMORPG is in it's nature more convoluted than the quest lines in Skyrim or Skyrim Special Edition where the quests have "stages". Thanks for the explanation.
    Answer ✓
  • Dalevj47
    Dalevj47
    Soul Shriven
    Yes, I understand what you are saying but my question is WHY? I understand that this is an MMORPG. But if I must reenter the delve/dungeon/instanced zone again Why do I, in a PvE situation, need to fight everybody again and possibly lose experience, treasures, CP, etc. Again maybe a PC can get a temporary invisibility cloak that stays in effect until one reaches where one has NOT been before or until he enters combat. This could work for delve/dungeon/instanced zones where one must exit the way one came in and has to often deal with enemy NPC's that one has already dealt.