The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Stamplar in Vet HM Trials

washbern
washbern
✭✭✭✭
Good morning everyone!

I am very, very new to Vet HM Trials and I feel like a dead weight on some fights simply because I just can't safely reach any of the targets i have to focus on. I prefer not to re-roll and am wondering if it is at all possible to tweak my Stamplar to compete on those fights.

Thank you for your time!
  • hafgood
    hafgood
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which trials are you specifically struggling with?
  • washbern
    washbern
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, the other day we did vHRC HM on last boss. 90% of that fight i was out of range of the boss. sure, i focused on the adds and at the end of the fight i had probably 8 or 9% of total damage done but that feels pretty lame.

Then we did vSS. i couldn't get to touch most of the atronachs because of lightning and their positioning. i spent more time dodging AOEs then contributing to downing the storm boys.
  • lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Have you talked to your raid lead about it? Depending on the tactics your group uses, it should certainly be possible to fight at melee range in those raids.
    If you can't be melee at all for some reason, you could always play a bow/ bow build.
  • washbern
    washbern
    ✭✭✭✭
    I mean i talked to them. They said that Stam is "doable" but Magicka is preferred. Like i said, i'm new to prog trials so i'm not sure how many out there actually have mechanics that punish melee players. I mean, it makes sense that a ranged DPS can be in melee while melee cannot be in ranged. I read about some bow/bow templars but from what i found they seem to be bad.

• hafgood
    hafgood
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done vSS, had no issue with doing damage to atros (I main stamplar) it's simply a positioning thing.

I'm currently progging vHR HM, only issue damage wise may be in starfall if you have more than 3 stams as the extra stams will have to be a little further back. Your jabs should still hit the boss though.if there are 3 or less stams then you should be able to get close to the boss and should have no issue.

So in both cases it sounds like your positioning is actually the issue.
  • hafgood
    hafgood
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh and you say 9% of the damage - what is your dps and what is the dps of those you are running with? If they have better dps than you it stands to reason their percentage of the actual damage done would be higher.
  • washbern
    washbern
    ✭✭✭✭
    my dps was a sad 15k because i spent most of the fight out of boss range because that's where the team was stacking. Since it's a positioning thing, i guess there are no magic tricks to resolve my dilemma other than fix my position :\
  • manny254
    manny254
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    washbern wrote: »
    my dps was a sad 15k because i spent most of the fight out of boss range because that's where the team was stacking. Since it's a positioning thing, i guess there are no magic tricks to resolve my dilemma other than fix my position :\

Sadly, the issues that Stam builds face in endgame Trials will only intensify as you do harder content.
    - Mojican
  • RogueShark
    RogueShark
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done every vetHM trial and some trifectas on stam. It's 100% doable (tho I did swap to mag for GH at raid lead request). It comes down to positioning, as others have said... as well as being in a group that is okay with you running stam and won't force a stack somewhere where you can do nothing.

vSS hm, for instance (regarding Lokke): if you're burning atros during flight phase, the way my groups have done it, everyone is moving as one group anyway. Focus atros on one side, move together. Only time I had melee issues was if atros were in lightning and even then, you can stand just outside depending on your ability range. You may have to stop DPSing earlier than ranged DPS to get in position for beam if the atros are dying to slow, but then there are more problems going on anyway if your group is pushing it that close and saving them for flight phase.
    If you're burning BEFORE flight phase, never go after atros in wing-slap territory. Your raid lead may let you just sit on the boss while ranged turn and focus (if there's no risk of pushing too soon). Or you may have to turn and go to any atros that don't endanger you of wing slap or breath.
    PC NA
    Will heal DPS for memes.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, the other day we did vHRC HM on last boss. 90% of that fight i was out of range of the boss. sure, i focused on the adds and at the end of the fight i had probably 8 or 9% of total damage done but that feels pretty lame.

Then we did vSS. i couldn't get to touch most of the atronachs because of lightning and their positioning. i spent more time dodging AOEs then contributing to downing the storm boys.

vHRC HM is not a great fight for stam, especially for groups where positioning is extra messy, but vSS Lokke is usually fine, most atros don't land on the beams, maybe for a couple you need to dance around a bit. You can still do the fights, but like you said, in some cases it might drop, because of range issues.
  • MorganaBlue
    MorganaBlue
    ✭✭✭
    aside from the great suggestions above - you didn't specify what gear you're using, but for trials where you have to move around alot, it helps to drop Relequen and use a Deadly/Yokeda setup. I personally do higher dps with it on my stamplar anyway - both on dummy and in trial - even without the Minor Slayer buff.
  • shack80
    shack80
    ✭✭✭
    Ive done all of the older trials with a stam character, including HM on MoL, HoF and all craglorn ones. These are easily doable and as a stam you can provide high enough deeps on these ones. If you feel that you are dying all the time then its time to check your team positions, healers, tanks etc. For the HM on CR, SS, KA and Asylum cant really say as I havent done them on stam, can believe that mag is better for sure.
  • washbern
    washbern
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all for your suggestions! Much appreciated!

For gear i used rele and deadly. Only yesterday got AY dagger. Still don't have axe. Might go sword dagger and see how I do. I was told that KA HM is very bad for Stam. I rocked Vet AA HM on my templar. I guess with mag I will always have a spot but with stam I need to pick my battles. I wish that mag had a similar set to relequen. I hate siroria game style.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A melee DPS is viable in really every trial in the game, assuming you are in a coordinated group that knows how to manage positioning during a fight. Admittedly, VHRC HM can be a bit of a Cluster you know what for a lot of groups. Melee builds are certainly harder to play and for progression groups, they are significantly less desirable.

I recommended against maining a melee class for most people just getting into Veteran Trails. Absolutely have one and bring it where you are comfortable, but you would do well to have a ranged magic class to get your feet wet.

Best two options right now are Mag Sorc and Mag Necro. Both have very similar Single target potential. Necro is ahead in AOE. Sorc rotation is definitely easier to perform at a high level. Their main downside is that you have to deal with pets. Some peopled dont care, others cant stand them. All things equal, a magcro is more desirable right now than a mag sorc, but we are really talking about min/maxed raids and they are likely a ways out for someone just learning.

Mageblade is also a reasonable option if your skill level is high. They dont offer much to a group and they are the hardest rotation in the game IMO, but they have a high damage ceiling. That said, nobody is going to kick a good mageblade out of a raid.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on February 25, 2021 5:40PM
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all for your suggestions! Much appreciated!

For gear i used rele and deadly. Only yesterday got AY dagger. Still don't have axe. Might go sword dagger and see how I do. I was told that KA HM is very bad for Stam. I rocked Vet AA HM on my templar. I guess with mag I will always have a spot but with stam I need to pick my battles. I wish that mag had a similar set to relequen. I hate siroria game style.

Interesting comment from a melee player. Siroria basically rewards you for being stationary, which is also true of melee. Truthfully, most people over estimate how still you have to stand to make Siroria effective. Even with reasonable movement, it is still stronger than most other options. As a general rule, you do better DPS if you arent dancing around. I dont give Siroria a second thought in terms of my playstyle when wearing it. For a someone learning magic, I strongly recommend the False God/Medusa Combo. It is not that far behind the meta Siroria/Mothers Sorrow combo. You essentially get significant mobility and sustain for a minimal DPS loss. Medusa also allows you a flex spot for a shield and allows you to actually stay at range because you dont have to worry about Barbed Trap for minor force.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on February 25, 2021 5:38PM
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I think you might be underestimating the range of some of your attacks. Jabs reaches much further than the animation and the hit boxes on the bosses in VSS are much bigger than they appear. Stamblade also has a massive AOE in Ritual of Retribution and a range attack with bow, Power of the Light, and shards.

I've done both of the trials you are talking about with my stamplar. The sustain and heals are very strong, its great for a pseudo-support role with dropping shards on the boss (and thereby the tank), and it puts out consistent high damage.

I run Relequen and AY, too. Between jabs and deadly cloak, the AY is always up
  • washbern
    washbern
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks so much!
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Melee is definitely more difficult than ranged in a lot of trials, but it can still do well. If it helps you can take a look at this video, it is vSS HM from the POV of one of the best stamplars in the game. This was a few patches ago, so some skills or meta gear may have changed, but positioning and mechanics have not. And stamplar just spams jabs anyway :D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bnbvUOhIcEY
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on February 25, 2021 10:06PM