The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

What is the point of enemies following you around if you can't fight them outside their range?

Athan1
Athan1
✭✭✭✭✭
Good job following me through the map, but we are just waisting each other's time by making me stuck in combat for ages! Enemies land one hit and leave, so they don't have any intent to kill, and cannot be killed either. They are magically healed and leave? What is even the point in all this hussle?
Athan Atticus Imperial Templar of Shezarr
  • AinSoph
    AinSoph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've noticed if you put down an AoE or just hit them at range when they're somewhat far away from their initial spawn they go back earlier, so the range they can follow you is just meaningless distance to annoy players
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generic mmo ai. I guess without it theyd stand in one place.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tethering, which is too far in my opinion
  • Ryuvain
    Ryuvain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, very annoying. Following you a whole town over to interrupt you, laugh, turn invincible, and walk back.
    That one khajiit obsessed with werewolf behemoth and vampire lord. Lady Thorn is bae, dont @ me.
    Werewolf behemoth=vampire lord>blood scion>werewolf>vampire.
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ryuvain wrote: »
    Yeah, very annoying. Following you a whole town over to interrupt you, laugh, turn invincible, and walk back.
    Yeah I don't really get the point in this.
    Athan Atticus Imperial Templar of Shezarr
  • Starlight_Whisper
    Starlight_Whisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So we can speed through dungeons past them?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not particularly immersive, but it's a decent gameplay compromise between making sure players don't completely ignore or abuse mob aggro. This way, players don't just ignore the mobs as they speed by, but running away is still an option. If you aggro them, you're in combat until their tether ends. At the same time, mob immunity afterwards means that players can't treat overland zones like they do Skyreach by gathering up masses of mobs to nuke them - that only works in certain, smaller overland areas.
  • Gundug
    Gundug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the annoying thing about the system is that enemies don’t simply return to their starting point automatically after hitting the limit of their combat zone, but will actually pursue a player well beyond that limit and make one attack or receive one hit and only then return to their starting point. There is an absolute limit for following a player where mobs will return regardless. Why not just eliminate the weird limbo between the combat zone and the larger pursuit zone?

The in combat state is annoying since it is so restrictive, and there are cases where the player may be stuck in combat with an enemy that is not visible, and which may be in a condition where it cannot properly pursue or attack the player.
  • Ryuvain
    Ryuvain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not particularly immersive, but it's a decent gameplay compromise between making sure players don't completely ignore or abuse mob aggro. This way, players don't just ignore the mobs as they speed by, but running away is still an option. If you aggro them, you're in combat until their tether ends. At the same time, mob immunity afterwards means that players can't treat overland zones like they do Skyreach by gathering up masses of mobs to nuke them - that only works in certain, smaller overland areas.

Hitting them once with an aoe still is speeding past them and ignoring anyway. Just them attacking or getting hit once after far beyond their area is an annoyance at best and definitely creates the in combat bug.
    That one khajiit obsessed with werewolf behemoth and vampire lord. Lady Thorn is bae, dont @ me.
    Werewolf behemoth=vampire lord>blood scion>werewolf>vampire.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ryuvain wrote: »

Hitting them once with an aoe still is speeding past them and ignoring anyway. Just them attacking or getting hit once after far beyond their area is an annoyance at best and definitely creates the in combat bug.

The annoyance of being in combat until you acknowledge the chasing NPCs you aggroed is there precisely to discourage ignoring the NPCs as you speed past them. Sure, you can still do it and the aggro will usually lapse eventually, but that's so the annoyance doesn't become overly punishing.

If you don't like it, either stop to fight them before you take them out of tether range or get better at pathing around them without aggroing them.

(As for the "stuck in combat" bug, I dunno. I usually get it after engaging enemy players and then neither of us die. Cyrodiil seems to have some issues resolving combat properly with more than just NPCs.)