The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Bug after today's maintenance impacting addons for accounts with certain characters in account name

Gadgets
Gadgets
Soul Shriven
After today's maintenance, I logged on and found half of my addons have reset. After logging out and on a few times and checking the addon's saved variables, I found that addons think my account name has changed. My account name which is "@Gadget's" is now seen as "@Gadget';s" by addons.

Since there was not a client side update with this maintenance, I have to assume it is a server side change. I have not seen anything posted about changes today and certainly not something that would have an impact to addons like this.

I can fix it by manually editing my .lua files to recognize the change in my account name but before I do, I want to know if this is intentional or if it is a bug that will be reverted in the near future?
  • Gadgets
    Gadgets
    Soul Shriven
    Can't find the edit button but the forums are changing the account name.. trying with BBCode:
    Account name in addon .lua files before today's maintenance:  "@Gadget's"
    Account name in addon .lua files after today's maintenance:  "@Gadget's"

• Decimus
    Decimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can confirm, @D'ecimus became @D & # 39 ;ecimus after the maintenance.

This messed up all my addons today which I spent 2 hours fixing, when I was supposed to be streaming BGs.

As a result I also lost over two years worth of PvPMeter data and over 6-7 years worth of KillCounter data.

Thanks ZOS.
    Edited by Decimus on February 10, 2021 9:30PM
    PC/EU @ DECMVS
  • RandomSilliness
    RandomSilliness
    ✭✭✭
    Gadgets wrote: »
    Can't find the edit button but the forums are changing the account name.. trying with BBCode:
    Account name in addon .lua files before today's maintenance:  "@Gadget's"
    Account name in addon .lua files after today's maintenance:  "@Gadget's"

Thank you for this thread. I was absolutely crushed when I (thought I) lost thousands of customizations. Fortunately the old settings didn't get deleted, just not properly referenced in the LUA files. I think I can recover with a healthy backup followed by a global search-and-replace.
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Character_encodings_in_HTML#HTML_character_references

Something may have changed with the encoding or character set. &#39 means "apostrophe character."

I suggest making backups before you mass copy + replace, it might be fixed back and then your new files won't work.
    Edited by Fennwitty on February 10, 2021 10:40PM
    PC NA
  • HankTwo
    HankTwo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Decimus wrote: »

This messed up all my addons today which I spent 2 hours fixing, when I was supposed to be streaming BGs.

As a result I also lost over two years worth of PvPMeter data and over 6-7 years worth of KillCounter data.

Thanks ZOS.

Your kill counter data shouldn't be gone. A friend of mine changed his @ name some time ago and also thought at first he lost all the data. However, it seems that kill counter just appends the new user data to it's file and doesn't actually overwrite anything.
    Edited by HankTwo on February 10, 2021 11:04PM
    PC EU
    Stam DK, Magden, Magplar, Stamcro, Hybrid Sorc, Magblade & Mag DK
  • RandomSilliness
    RandomSilliness
    ✭✭✭
    Fennwitty wrote: »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Character_encodings_in_HTML#HTML_character_references

Something may have changed with the encoding or character set. &#39 means "apostrophe character."

I suggest making backups before you mass copy + replace, it might be fixed back and then your new files won't work.

Yup. I made backups of the broken version, the sanitized version, and the global-replaced version, so I can go back to whatever nonsense they throw at us.

Note that it is not as easy as search and replace. You must first remove the blocks of code (settings) that were added with the new escape sequence. Then you can proceed with replace your original @name references with the new one. Do this in /savedVariables/*.LUA files only.
  • Decimus
    Decimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HankTwo wrote: »

Thanks ZOS.

Your kill counter data shouldn't be gone. A friend of mine changed his @ name some time ago and also thought at first he lost all the data. However, it seems that kill counter just appends the new user data to it's file and doesn't actually overwrite anything.

If only...
    kyxhgnrzzzeg.png

Edit: actually managed to fix that, pretty much the only addon where the settings didn't get overwritten (could still find old account ID in the file and manually fix it).

PvpMeter still gone though & spent 6 hours total making custom buff/debuff settings etc again for all 18 characters.
    Edited by Decimus on February 11, 2021 1:07AM
    PC/EU @ DECMVS
  • HankTwo
    HankTwo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HankTwo wrote: »

Thanks ZOS.

If only...
    kyxhgnrzzzeg.png

Edit: actually managed to fix that, pretty much the only addon where the settings didn't get overwritten (could still find old account ID in the file and manually fix it).

PvpMeter still gone though & spent 6 hours total making custom buff/debuff settings etc again for all 18 characters.

Yep, I mean the actual file where kill counter stores its data, not what the addon shows you ingame. It's important to note that this file should only be changed while eso is not running, otherwise restoring your old kill count by removing the appended rows and changing your old @ name to your 'new' might not work. It is also a good idea to save a backup of the original file at a different location before changing it in the actual eso folder. Hope that helped.
    PC EU
    Stam DK, Magden, Magplar, Stamcro, Hybrid Sorc, Magblade & Mag DK
  • Gadgets
    Gadgets
    Soul Shriven
    Seems like this bug was fixed today.
  • RandomSilliness
    RandomSilliness
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like this bug was fixed today.

It appeared they saw and fixed bug within 24 hours, but I see today I'm back in the same BS. The weird/different part about today's recurrence is that there was no down-time or patch between my previous login and this latest one where everything is messed up.
  • Gadgets
    Gadgets
    Soul Shriven
    It's broken again for me as well.

I didn't notice any down time when they fixed the issue last week either. Not sure what is going on.

It sure would be nice to get a response from ZOS on this.
  • RandomSilliness
    RandomSilliness
    ✭✭✭
    It's broken again for me as well.
    It sure would be nice to get a response from ZOS on this.
    They might no be able to say anything about it yet, but hopefully @ZOS_GinaBruno will toss a simple hand-wave here to acknowledge awareness beyond the forum.
  • Gadgets
    Gadgets
    Soul Shriven
    I used the in-game Feedback / Bug submission to report this. I added a link to this forum thread as well. Maybe that will help get visibility on the issue and a response.
  • zlambit
    zlambit
    Soul Shriven
    stuck with this issue on PC EU server, please fix...again like last week.
  • Asileth
    Asileth
    ✭✭✭
    Exact same issues!!!

Since update, my user name is randomly showing up as E & # 39;lisel. Even though it is E'lisel (I changed it about 3 years ago from Asileth)

It has impacted people being able to reply to mail to me (get user unknown) or send mail (same error) - it will then go through if try it again...

And... my user settings for my addons such as alphagear, banditsui, purgetracker, cpslots, procsettimer, etc are gone
    (all the custom builds in alpha gear over all characters sobs)

I had a back up of addon folder, plus saved variables, plus user preferences from 2/13 - copied it over and yea... lose the user settings again...

My in game user settings like keybinds, all good

All addons there, and working. Just not the customization

I have restarted game in admin and non admin. Logged into pts (which everything is fine there! including my addon preferences)

I have restarted the computer. Made sure all drivers and updates good...

This is seriously impacting my ability to play :(

TdZ6wo4.png

PS - saw this was first posted last week. Yes, had the issue with addon preferences last week, but disappeared the next day, never thought any more about, nor did I notice the code for apostrophe appearing.
    Edited by Asileth on February 19, 2021 8:25AM
    E'lisel

Join Remnants of Hope. With ESO, FF XIV GW2, NW, SWTOR & WoW divisions, numerous other games played together - the ONLY gaming community you will ever need. Founded 12 years ago, a stable family friendly community that is focused on tolerance, respect for all walks of life and fun for everyone, together!