The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Gravity damage, What is this? nerf fall damage!

Renegader
Renegader
✭✭✭
You know if i wanted to deal with gravity i would go play Halo 1. But i dont, I would much rather play halo 3 where there is no gravity, and i can survive even if i fall for more than 1 meter.

Like how can i make it so i wont die from a 20k fall damage recap from only 4 meters? gravity should never do that kind of damage, its not fun gameplay!
  • Emmagoldman
    Emmagoldman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally think there is something about going off a distance and thinking, "this wont end well." its also cheesy when you fall a huge distance and just land on your feet
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    New CP system has the answer you seek. A passive that reduces fall damage by a large %.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its a toss up for me which death recap I like the most: slaughterfished or img
  • DreadDaedroth
    DreadDaedroth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember I could fall slowly without taking damage but I'm no more able to trigger that effect.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember I could fall slowly without taking damage but I'm no more able to trigger that effect.

I once triggered it by accidentally jumping off the Sappiarch college in Summerset. I fell incredibly far, bounced off a lamp post, suddenly lost all momentum, and touched the ground with no fall damage. Was very weird but you have to bounce off something.
  • thegreat_one
    thegreat_one
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't u block it?!
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ZOS nerfed that because it was pretty broken in PVP. Yeah, this one I will admit that we PVPers ruined it for everyone. :)
  • DreadDaedroth
    DreadDaedroth
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ZOS nerfed that because it was pretty broken in PVP. Yeah, this one I will admit that we PVPers ruined it for everyone. :)

How broken? Was that ability exploited in weird ways?
    Well anyways silly idea to remove it totally for such reason. :s
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, normally you take fall damage when you jump down from the top floor of a Cyrodiil resource or keep, right?
    With the Featherfall trick, you wouldn't.
    Now imagine PVP guild raids of 24 people all leaping off the top floor, floating down majestically, taking no fall damage, then rushing into a fight with ultimates firing.

Yeah, we broke it. :lol:

(On a smaller scale, players who farmed people at resource towers also liked to use it to leap off and escape fall damage while using Line of Sight to escape pursuit. But I'm pretty sure that while they may have discovered the trick, once it became common knowledge ZOS had to take action because the bigger guilds were using it to absurd effect.)
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Toss up huh :thinks:
    I think I know which one you prefer :p
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think there should be such an effect unless triggered with magic — I do miss the various magic alteration things one could do in single-player titles but I can also see how many would be game-breaking and/or trivialize the map.

I like the challenge of having to try dropping from ledge to ledge if I’m trying to take a creative shortcut — although not when I end up stuck in a crevice between rocks or tree roots! :joy:
    Edited by Araneae6537 on February 1, 2021 5:01PM
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In my previous MMO each class had a movement ability which also could be used to break a fall, no matter how long. Also plenty of very high places to climb and jump off. (Also not much invisible walls and plenty of off map areas - some quite weird. ESO really lacks that kind of freedom to explore.)
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Like how can i make it so i wont die from a 20k fall damage recap from only 4 meters?

20k from only 4 metres?

Yeah, I'm not calling shenanigans, but I'm going to have to see proof of this.
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Character change to Bosmer
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

You don't seem to appreciate the gravity of the situation.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    renne wrote: »
    Like how can i make it so i wont die from a 20k fall damage recap from only 4 meters?

20k from only 4 metres?

Yeah, I'm not calling shenanigans, but I'm going to have to see proof of this.

Found this
    https://youtu.be/YCWHK9GmnHs
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »

I once triggered it by accidentally jumping off the Sappiarch college in Summerset. I fell incredibly far, bounced off a lamp post, suddenly lost all momentum, and touched the ground with no fall damage. Was very weird but you have to bounce off something.
    Yes its an effect in ESO that if you hit something you will bounce off like an cliff, tree or roof the fall damage does not happen.
    This can be exploited well.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Skcarkden
    Skcarkden
    ✭✭✭✭
    One time i walked on the upper floor of a building in Imperial City, and suddenly BAM i got slingshot outward into a fence and died to fall damage.
  • TwinLamps
    TwinLamps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you think fall damage is high try falling from a step or two in orsinium
    Awake, but at what cost
  • caperb
    caperb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be honest, I don't think fall damage is high at all if you prepare for it. As far as I know the damage you get is a percentage of your max health and scales with the height of the fall. In this regard a fall of 4 meters should never be lethal.

Yes, they increased fall damage a couple of patches ago so you can't jump off everything with only a little bit of health when you start. It is still perfectly viable to jump off the top of a keep. Even better, when you use the right heals or shields right before you jump you will have almost full health after landing.

This is a pretty high amount of fall damage! Just because I'm curious I've casually been looking for the place with the highest fall damage in game (not actively just when I pass a high cliff), and even when you the damage scales with your max health 70k is pretty big.
  • Daemons_Bane
    Daemons_Bane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Fall damage is fine, especially when you learn to ally yourself with the game engine