Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The lack of counterplay to proc sets is frustrating

StarOfElyon
StarOfElyon
✭✭✭✭✭
This is madness. I'm not slow on the sticks but I can't counter two or three procs going off on me when I get hit with a charge or a leap or a light attack. That's just from one player. Now imagine with two or three more people are focusing your with two or three procs going off. Fighting someone using proc sets is like boxing a man with six arms. There's nothing fun about that. Forget about fair.
  • Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Don’t worry instead of fixing them they are adding 7 more next patch. They are also reducing damage with the new cp system so proc sets will be even more prevalent. Almost like they enjoy killing the game.
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There's also going to be a 'no proc sets' combat test, so the devs are acknowledging it's a thing at least.
    PC NA
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the combat tests are about performance. But ZOS needs to do something to limit the stacking and the power of proc sets.

• StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of this stuff makes me not even want to play the game. Yeah, you're going to bring in new players but older players like me don't want to put up with this.

https://youtu.be/4uLizeKKpys
  • techyeshic
    techyeshic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are introducing procs to CP as well but you at least give up survivability or something. What bugs me the most is the proc users can run so high of health and mitigation and fire off free damage, nearly automatic even in lag while anyone daring to actually play their class struggles
    Edited by techyeshic on January 29, 2021 4:57PM
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    techyeshic wrote: »
    What bugs me the most is the orov users can run so high of health and mitigation and fire off free damage, nearly automatic even in lag while anyone daring to actually play their class struggles

I don't even understand why it's so hard to fix when the fix is obvious. Make it scale with highest damage stat. Mention that in description. Keep current values of damage at baseline glass cannon build (without set bonuses, just 64 in stam with all the enchants in weapon damage).

Bam, fixed.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They can make them all PVE sets. Just give them damage against dungeon monsters, like the way slayer is a buff against monsters only.
  • akredon_ESO
    akredon_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh man there was a Magblade i was fighting the other day in BG that was hilarious, Got hit 3 times instantly with all 3 procs + their skills, i got instagibbed. was *** hilarious
  • soniku4ikblis
    soniku4ikblis
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. I cannot live through the gold weakness to elements staff and whatever god-awful proc that is. Some kind of multi-colored light beam. It eats me alive.

Games a joke. Sets and everything is all clowned out. Very disappointing.

EDIT: I went and found it. This thing is cancer.

Perfected Wrath of Elements
    LEVEL 50 - CP 160
    Type Arena
    Set bonus
    (2 items) Adds 1190 Spell Penetration, Casting Weakness to Elements on a target within 15 meters of you causes a surge of elemental energy to tether between you for 10 seconds. While the tether persists and you remain in range, enemies touching the tether take 2371 Flame Damage, 2371 Shock Damage, or 2371 Frost Damage every 1 second, which increases by 1% each time it deals damage, up to 20%. This effect can occur once every 10 seconds.

Edited by soniku4ikblis on February 8, 2021 9:30PM
    __._-*._._._.-*'"{Sonic Euphoric Bliss}"'*-._._._.*-_.__
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed. I cannot live through the gold weakness to elements staff and whatever god-awful proc that is. Some kind of multi-colored light beam. It eats me alive.

LEVEL 50 - CP 160
    Type Arena
    Set bonus
    (2 items) Adds 1190 Spell Penetration, Casting Weakness to Elements on a target within 15 meters of you causes a surge of elemental energy to tether between you for 10 seconds. While the tether persists and you remain in range, enemies touching the tether take 2371 Flame Damage, 2371 Shock Damage, or 2371 Frost Damage every 1 second, which increases by 1% each time it deals damage, up to 20%. This effect can occur once every 10 seconds.

You need to adjust your mitigation and passive healing. It's the Vateshran staff. Not hard to get and as things go in ESO, this aint even close to the top of the list in terms of being OP. Its a 10 second DOT. Dont get me wrong, its good pressure, but it's not hard to counter. All you need to do is break LOS or go mist on a vamp. The real "cancer" out there is multiple procs that hit you all at once in some 50k health heavy armor tank build. You can see this thing coming a mile away.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on February 8, 2021 10:08PM
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

LEVEL 50 - CP 160
    Type Arena
    Set bonus

You need to adjust your mitigation and passive healing. It's the Vateshran staff. Not hard to get and as things go in ESO, this aint even close to the top of the list in terms of being OP. Its a 10 second DOT. Dont get me wrong, its good pressure, but it's not hard to counter. All you need to do is break LOS or go mist on a vamp. The real "cancer" out there is multiple procs that hit you all at once in some 50k health heavy armor tank build. You can see this thing coming a mile away.

One proc alone isn't the issue, though this one does suck. I can't imagine downplaying how much it sucks. I have to assume that you use the staff. Sets like this should be effective in PVE only. Running away from it is not counterplay.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

LEVEL 50 - CP 160
    Type Arena
    Set bonus

One proc alone isn't the issue, though this one does suck. I can't imagine downplaying how much it sucks. I have to assume that you use the staff. Sets like this should be effective in PVE only. Running away from it is not counterplay.

I have used the staff, but I prefer builds without it. I generally prefer max stats from my armor rather than procs or gimmics. Like I said, it's good pressure, but its not out of line with other options. If using a mythic item, you are essentially sacrificing a 5 piece to run it. It also requires you to slot and use a skill, unlike some procs that are almost completely passive. If it was any weaker, it would be pretty useless TBH. Its flashy and new, but hard to call it OP in the current meta.

Also, effectively using LOS is not running away.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on February 9, 2021 1:08AM
  • Stahlor
    Stahlor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As soon as you are squishy this patch, you'll get annihilated - no matter, if you fight against proc sets or not. I can't really see a difference e.g. to use a proc set, or pop a potion for clever alchemist, which is not considered as a proc set.
    The result is the same --> squishy and unable to escape --> dead.
  • techyeshic
    techyeshic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im running stat sets and at armor soft cap and speed, and it is a pain. Tonight it felt like EVERYONE had the Vatatrash destro. Go into a keep fight and get 3 beams on you. Run away and it stretches as far as a ranged attack. Have to LOS for 2 seconds minimum, probably more or it recovers from the LOS. Part of its probably lag and position desync, but thats yet again another advantage vs trying to activate abilities in that moment. Just like all the snipe procs with DOTs where it takes time to register being hit by snipe, then by the time your purge goes off, the DOTs are already ticking. Little less laggy and you might be able to combat that stuff, but then you have gap closer spam when its not getting them desynced, and merciless charge being applied. All health stacked as well, even if not to the level of necro Ulti or werewolves.

Its just garbage. Bring on the test week!
  • Stahlor
    Stahlor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EVERYONE had the Vatatrash destro

Still better, than continuously 3 templar beams on you!

• StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

LEVEL 50 - CP 160
    Type Arena
    Set bonus

I have used the staff, but I prefer builds without it. I generally prefer max stats from my armor rather than procs or gimmics. Like I said, it's good pressure, but its not out of line with other options. If using a mythic item, you are essentially sacrificing a 5 piece to run it. It also requires you to slot and use a skill, unlike some procs that are almost completely passive. If it was any weaker, it would be pretty useless TBH. Its flashy and new, but hard to call it OP in the current meta.

If you have to find something to LOS behind, you have to run away in order to get to it. It happened to me again yesterday. A combination of Zaan and Vate was just destroying me so I tried to run out of the range of the tether but the MF just chased me so I couldn't break it before I died.
  • techyeshic
    techyeshic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stahlor wrote: »

Before they nerfed 7th legion healing when taking damage, templar beams actually healed more than it damaged when above 50% health. This proc is basically templar beam on a target in execute range even when full health, and the person using it still can do other things adding to damage or their defense.
  • Stahlor
    Stahlor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Before they nerfed 7th legion healing when taking damage, templar beams actually healed more than it damaged when above 50% health. This proc is basically templar beam on a target in execute range even when full health, and the person using it still can do other things adding to damage or their defense.

WoE does let's say ~1k to 1,5k dps. That's by far not as much as a templar beam on lower health. There are a lot of zerg templars in the moment just spamming beams on targets and as soon as your health drops, you're dead. That feels way more annoying than WoE.
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vateshran is bad but still have counters but try to counter combo like this:

Vateshran 2h, Explosive Rebuke + Twin Sisters or Curse of Doleymish.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • Stahlor
    Stahlor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mayrael wrote: »

You can see the Vateshran 2-hander proc clearly - so you know, that a combo might come soon. Same with explosive rebuke. Even if you get hit by both, this will be around 20k including the heavy attack. Since most people run around with 30k to 40k health, that won't kill you.

The heavy attack to proc doylemish has to be charged much longer than vateshran + the enemy has to be stunned/immobilized --> it is quite hard to hit somebody with that, as far as they still have enough stam to break free.

Without these sets and combos, it would be impossible to kill a lot of players in the moment. Or how else would you kill a tanky 35k+ character?
  • techyeshic
    techyeshic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can see the Vateshran 2-hander proc clearly - so you know, that a combo might come soon. Same with explosive rebuke. Even if you get hit by both, this will be around 20k including the heavy attack. Since most people run around with 30k to 40k health, that won't kill you.

The heavy attack to proc doylemish has to be charged much longer than vateshran + the enemy has to be stunned/immobilized --> it is quite hard to hit somebody with that, as far as they still have enough stam to break free.

Without these sets and combos, it would be impossible to kill a lot of players in the moment. Or how else would you kill a tanky 35k+ character?

Once upon a time; we did it by not stacking 30k health and investing in things like more mag/stam, weapon and spell damage, and penetration. And without procs, we actually combined a series of buttons. It was called actually playing the game. Without those proc sets, we would not have so many 30k+ health players to have to worry about they'd stack less health and health recovery if they had to worry about doing damage themself.

[Snip]

[Edited for bait]
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on February 16, 2021 3:36PM
  • Dunning_Kruger
    Dunning_Kruger
    ✭✭✭✭
    We shall soon see if procs impact server performance. I guess we shall also see if they impact folks personal preference.

For the Queen bby
  • Stahlor
    Stahlor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Once upon a time; we did it by not stacking 30k health and investing in things like more mag/stam, weapon and spell damage, and penetration. And without procs, we actually combined a series of buttons. It was called actually playing the game. Without those proc sets, we would not have so many 30k+ health players to have to worry about they'd stack less health and health recovery if they had to worry about doing damage themself.

[Snip]

[Removed quote]

[Removed quote]

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t4dyYJo9FXg
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on February 16, 2021 3:38PM
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

LEVEL 50 - CP 160
    Type Arena
    Set bonus

If you have to find something to LOS behind, you have to run away in order to get to it. It happened to me again yesterday. A combination of Zaan and Vate was just destroying me so I tried to run out of the range of the tether but the MF just chased me so I couldn't break it before I died.

If Vate+Zaan is destroying you, get tankier and practice your positioning and combat awareness. I cannot even remember the last time I saw either on my death recap. I am not saying they arent powerful, but as this thread is about counter play to proc sets, I assure you, there are things you can do with these two. Both take time to run their course and both are clear as day when they proc. If you stand there and eat them, they will certainly melt you.
  • techyeshic
    techyeshic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

[Snip].

[Removed quote]

[Removed quote].

And that was quickly (relatively speaking for ZOS) removed and its existence was not required to kill anyone. In fact; resistance was nerfed repetitively and these super tanky builds only started to show up because of proc sets. So I am not sure of your point. Proc sets enable these tanky builds but you need proc sets to kill tanky builds?
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on February 16, 2021 3:38PM
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    not suppose to be able to attack a group of people and survive, its not realistic.
    and "no" im not being sarcastic and "no" im not joking. fighting more than 2 people "should" kill you.
    if you fight some one "one on one" then is fair, and is what eso is about.
  • Stahlor
    Stahlor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

[Snip].

[Removed quote]

[Removed quote]

And that was quickly (relatively speaking for ZOS) removed and its existence was not required to kill anyone. In fact; resistance was nerfed repetitively and these super tanky builds only started to show up because of proc sets. So I am not sure of your point. Proc sets enable these tanky builds but you need proc sets to kill tanky builds?

My point is, that pvp changes all the time and every patch, people will get killed by something. They start complaining and it might get nerfed just to bring out something new people can complain about. It is a never ending story.

This onslaught build was just an example, but there were a lot of powerful skills earlier in the game and all of them got nerfed. Every time a class has something special e.g. nightblade cloak, DK reflect etc. it gets nerfed, because people start whining in the forums. The result is, that we are all running around in heavy armor, 35k+ health and proc sets, spamming dizzying swing and executioner now. The class doesn't even matter that much anymore.
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on February 16, 2021 3:39PM
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gilvoth wrote: »
    not suppose to be able to attack a group of people and survive, its not realistic.
    and "no" im not being sarcastic and "no" im not joking. fighting more than 2 people "should" kill you.
    if you fight some one "one on one" then is fair, and is what eso is about.

So it should always be a numbers game unless dueling? That is terrible logic. The reality is that 9 times out of 10, three people usually win against one, but if the one is more skillful, there is nothing inherently wrong with game balance if he wins the fight once in a while. ESO is skill based, which is why it has the best combat system of any MMO out there.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

LEVEL 50 - CP 160
    Type Arena
    Set bonus

If Vate+Zaan is destroying you, get tankier and practice your positioning and combat awareness. I cannot even remember the last time I saw either on my death recap. I am not saying they arent powerful, but as this thread is about counter play to proc sets, I assure you, there are things you can do with these two. Both take time to run their course and both are clear as day when they proc. If you stand there and eat them, they will certainly melt you.

I was on my DK in light armor wearing one lord warden and one pirate skeleton. And it is still so bad that I almost always have to flee. In fact, yesterday I was trying to line of sign around a tree but the tethers didn't break. It's not balanced. End of story.
  • Stahlor
    Stahlor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

LEVEL 50 - CP 160
    Type Arena
    Set bonus

I was on my DK in light armor wearing one lord warden and one pirate skeleton. And it is still so bad that I almost always have to flee. In fact, yesterday I was trying to line of sign around a tree but the tethers didn't break. It's not balanced. End of story.

Your in light armour, without strong shields and no way to escape. Thats not really going to work this patch.