The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Parse DPS Question

Brynhiild
Brynhiild
✭✭✭
As a player who do parses quite often (4-5 times per week to master my rotation) i'm wondering how people judge Parses. I do 56k atm on the dummy (21m Iron Atronach) with a MagSorc build i did myself (so absolutely NOT meta) and some people are telling me "56k ? Meh, not good enough, you should hit 80k+ for Veteran Trials"...But, in every trial i'm doing 12%-15% of bosses, even in the few Trials Vet (even HM) i did (some of them are wins, others are not).
So there's my question : my parses numbers are really that low ? Or am i right to think that parses numbers don't really matter (after a certain gap at least, like 45k) if the player combines his "small number" with a decent reactivity, knows how to survive and a good knowledge of the mechanics ?

What are you thinking about Parses in general ?

PS : I play Vet Trials for completion and for fun, i don't intend to be a part of an insane team who can do vSS or vCR+x with their eyes closed, i'm fully aware that if i wanted that i should up my dps a LOT
  • Nexon
    Nexon
    To be honest, Parsing on a 21m dummy is completely different then parsing in Trails. All depends what groups you play with if Guilds want 80k+ then play meta get one parse to standard then raid with them and if you're doing more damage then the other dps then i guess there'd consider you a good dps.
    But on the other hand if your playing for fun there is no need for you to sweat it out, but 90% of endgame pve players i know sweat it out because they want to be the best.
  • ErMurazor
    ErMurazor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You answered your own question. Score pushing/trifectas require optimal setups. Others dont. Just find likeminded ppl and have fun
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meh double post
    Edited by zvavi on January 26, 2021 2:11PM
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pug crag trials are really bad. I had 25% of dmg in one group. It was that bad. Also your damage on cmx doesn't include enemies you didn't damage.
    Edited by zvavi on January 26, 2021 2:10PM
  • Brynhiild
    Brynhiild
    ✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »
    Pug crag trials are really bad. I had 25% of dmg in one group. It was that bad. Also your damage on cmx doesn't include enemies you didn't damage.

I don't do PUG trials, my pain tolerance has limits x) ... I do trials with friends or guildies
  • JanTanhide
    JanTanhide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL. You are doing fine. Heck, I wouldn't even talk about my DPS/Healing/Tanking with anyone TBH.

I suck at the Dummy parses yet like you when I do Trials I see myself doing 15% to 20% of group DPS. My parses are really bad and usually under 30K.

But here I am soloing Veteran dungeons no death on different builds. Running Vet dungeons and Trials (or any content for that matter) has little to do with parses since the Dummies don't fight back.
  • ATreeGnome
    ATreeGnome
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the only hard DPS check that you wouldn't be able to pass with everyone in a group pulling 45k DPS is on Navi HM in vSS. So you should be able to clear just about everything else as long as everyone can execute mechanics, theoretically anyway. Some fights would be very difficult though, like vCR +x, vAS +2, vKA HMs.

That said, higher DPS makes every fight easier. With high enough DPS you can skip difficult mechanics in some fights completely, it's easier to recover if someone dies, and it's far less stressful for the tanks. For some fights, the strategies change completely based on if your group DPS is high enough to skip certain mechanics or not.

If you want to get some clears and have fun while sticking with your current build and rotation, then by all means you can and should do it - games should be about having fun. Just make sure that you find a group with the same goals and mindset that you have and understand that you will have limitations.
  • manny254
    manny254
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    IMO parsing is useful for two things.

1. Learning/practicing a rotation
    2. Comparing gear setups under ideal conditions

They really can't be used to judge actual trial performance or compare player performance (unless they have identical setups and identical testing situations).
    Edited by manny254 on January 26, 2021 4:26PM
    - Mojican
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    manny254 wrote: »
    IMO parsing is useful for two things.

1. Learning/practicing a rotation
    2. Comparing gear setups under ideal conditions

They really can't be used to judge actual trial performance or compare player performance (unless they have identical setups and identical testing situations).

Hard disagree on your last statement. The whole point about standardizing buffs is to be able to compare DPS potential across multiple classes, builds, and players. Are they an exact measure of a players ability to perform in a actual trial? No, but the correlation is very high.

To the OP:

Is 56k a low DPS number by todays standards? Yes it is. Is it enough to complete most trials and vet dungeons, again, yes it is. It's a number that puts you well above most players that have never taken the time to beat on a trial dummy, but well below what I would call competitive DPS. I am not surprised that you go into a trial and pull 12-15% of DPS, especially in mostly normal trials with pick up groups. There might be a guy doing 4-5% and another guy doing 25.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Agree with @Oreyn_Bearclaw. For several of my guilds, 60K is the cutoff for the veteran Craglorn 3 trials. From there, it goes up to 70K for hard mode, VAS, VCR, and VSS, and 80K for things like VMOL and VHOF. Do you need to do 80K to beat VMOL? No. But nobody wants to be in these trials forever on a guild run.

I'd say 56K is about average for the casual trial runner, too. Sounds like a parse without potions and a "non-meta" build. Nothing to be ashamed of, but it just means you'll be facing more DPS checks and mechanics