The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Cyrodiil Sever Lag: Is Proc meta a factor?

kapachia
kapachia
✭✭✭
Any previous gains from the previous performance tuning (with limiting group size to 12 and limiting healing within same group) have been completely evaporated in Cyrodiil. So much server lag is just mind boggling. If previous method of healing was bogging down the server with multiple server calculation, the goal should be to decrease the calculation done by server.

So how much of current Cyrodiil server performance loss is caused by all these multiple proc sets everyone is running? With every single light attack triggering 2-3 procs on top of multiple DoT and multiple HoT, I assume these are causing more server strain than simple healing calculation before the last performance tuning.

I hope ZOS makes Cyrodiil server performance its one of top priority rather than cosmetic stuffs.
  • KitLightning
    KitLightning
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hope is at the bottom of the bottle for improvements on that for sure.
    "I'd rather be insane in a sane world, than sane in an insane world!" ~Me
    Warning - This is a spoiler and looking at it for too long may cause irrecoverable eyesight issues.
    ◔̯◔

MechWarrior: Living Legends – Total conversion modification for Crysis Wars.

kitlightning.deviantart
  • PeterUnlustig
    PeterUnlustig
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sets like heems jaas check every splittsecond if someone died in a huge radius around you, that you are in combat with.
    Syvarahs has a chance to proc on every single proc, poison, direct or aoe tick. Which you can easily add up to 30 ticks/s. Thats also one of the reason why a syvarah proc on a group could crash all of them before they fixed its multiproc.

You tell me if thats alot of server side calculations.

Edit: pls cant we just have pvp which is based around hitting enemy players with skills and their ability to avoid or mitigate those hits?
    Edited by PeterUnlustig on January 24, 2021 11:30AM
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    When all of the tests were based on aoe and their calculations I would say procs are a massive factor. The most popular proc set does a radius check and damages all around and then calculates the heal you receive based on that damage.
  • Kidgangster101
    Kidgangster101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've said it for years this game needs to ban all over gear and literally create gear sets just for pvp. Make it have toughness or something like that rather than def so it forces people to wear them to just survive. Then make some dps some healer and some tank so every class can be played.

Then what you do is remove cp because the server has to calculate those literally 24/7 and that adds to the lag. Just by doing these things you have lowered the lag rate by crazy amounts.
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've said it for years this game needs to ban all over gear and literally create gear sets just for pvp. Make it have toughness or something like that rather than def so it forces people to wear them to just survive. Then make some dps some healer and some tank so every class can be played.

Then what you do is remove cp because the server has to calculate those literally 24/7 and that adds to the lag. Just by doing these things you have lowered the lag rate by crazy amounts.

I love build craft in this game I think we should keep access to all sets. Proc sets just need to scale the same as any other damage in this game so you can't be tanky with them.
  • Greasytengu
    Greasytengu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you think about it, the amount of skills a person can potentially cast hasn't really changed. The total amount of skills available has grown but that is nothing to the amount of proc sets we have available. Every quarter they release more and more sets and server performance gets worse and worse. I dont know if its related, but if they decide to do more testing I would support them trying out a few weeks of no procs.
    " I nEeD HeAlInG!!! "
  • kapachia
    kapachia
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously all proc sets add variety and fun to playing PvP. Not everyone runs single meta set now.

But I would say, most of EOS community would value PvP server performance over anything. Hope ZOS will seriously look into all these proc sets adding to server calculation load and do something. Dont let Cyrodiil turn into a basically turn based game.
  • kapachia
    kapachia
    ✭✭✭

I love build craft in this game I think we should keep access to all sets. Proc sets just need to scale the same as any other damage in this game so you can't be tanky with them.

I dont want to open up another can of worm. This wasn't about if proc sets are OP.

This was about if procs cause server lag / server performance issue.
  • kapachia
    kapachia
    ✭✭✭
    Thank goodness that even Brian Wheeler is alluding that billlions of proc calculations in Cyrodiil maybe adding to server lag. Maybe solution is coming.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Procs absolutely ARE a contributing factor to PvP lag. Praise be that we will finally get to measure their impact.
  • techyeshic
    techyeshic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am definitely willing to find out by testing no procs for like a wee... few years
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Upgrading the server hardware will fix performance.

If the aoe tests did not have a meaningful impact on user performance, then proc sets, which have a much longer cool down, will not either. I think this more about nerfing the current meta they created.
  • kapachia
    kapachia
    ✭✭✭
    katorga wrote: »

If the aoe tests did not have a meaningful impact on user performance, then proc sets, which have a much longer cool down, will not either. I think this more about nerfing the current meta they created.

I don't think ZOS is that diplomatic or subtle in their intention. If they wanted to nerf it, they will just nerf it without explanation. No need for public testing to nerf if that was their goal.

Honestly, they are just looking for anything to improve performance without overhauling hardware and underlying codes. Simply reducing amount of server calculations maybe a quickest band-aid solution for them.
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They said they are replacing and upgrading all the servers this year and they said it would be "unlikely to improve performance" Their words

Its a bigger problem than simply upgrading servers
    Edited by Katahdin on January 27, 2021 1:20AM
    Beta tester November 2013
  • NeillMcAttack
    NeillMcAttack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I know is that procs and dots from them tick somewhat reliably every second, where as my skills fail to fire every second. I fear it will make little difference. The problem is in the net code.
    PC EU - NoCP PvP, is real PvP
    Tiidehunter Nord StamDK EP PvP Main
    Legion Commander Tresdin Stamplar DC PvE Main
    Sephirith Altmer MagPlar EP Gondar the Bounty Hunter Khajiit StamBlade DC
    The Dirge Redguard StamNecro EP Disruptor Stormcrafter Nord StamSorc AD
    Lone Druid Bosmer Stam Warden EP Necro-Phos Argonian MagBlade AD
    @ McAttack in game
    Played since beta, and then on console at release, until the game became unplayable on console.
  • kapachia
    kapachia
    ✭✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »

They said they are replacing and upgrading all the servers this year and they said it would be "unlikely to improve performance" Their words

Its a bigger problem than simply upgrading servers

That is a very SAD statement. So they are saying it is their inefficient poor coding?