The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

The Void Pitch Lie?

WraithShadow13
WraithShadow13
✭✭✭✭
I spent the time and unlocked the void pitch dye, wanting that really cool *ACTUAL* black colored dye aaaaaaaaaand.... it's not black?

Is anyone else seeing this on their characters?

For me, it's a deep rich purple, not even a DARK purple. I'd seen elsewhere that it's outright white on some parts for people. Considering that none of the other dyes labeled black are beyond a dark gray, i was seriously disappointed that this pain in the achievement was, much like the rest, not the color advertised or shown. The weird thing is, i've seen it as black, both on youtube AND in game when markarth launched.

Seriously disappointed that we can't just get an actual black color.

What non-black color are you guys getting?
  • aetherial_heavenn
    aetherial_heavenn
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can. It's called legate black, the only tru black in game. From PVP ranking.

Time to rank this Mayhem. (Many players I know PvPed to get the dye and fell in love with the combat)....Despite all the performance issues most of the year, the game actually runs better in Cyro during MM. Use all the AP buffs you can. Happy dye collecting!
    Edited by aetherial_heavenn on January 20, 2021 9:27AM
    Quoted for truth
    "In my experience, the elite ones have not been very toxic, and the toxic ones not very elite." WrathOfInnos
  • WraithShadow13
    WraithShadow13
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can. It's called legate black, the only tru black in game. From PVP ranking.

Time to rank this Mayhem. (Many players I know PvPed to get the dye and fell in love with the combat....despite all the performance issues most of the year, the game actually runs better in Cyo during MM. use all the AP buffs you can.Happy dye collecting!

Looking through photos of it, it DOES look a lot better than noxiphilic and obsidian. I'm terrible at pvp, though, so that might be the harder dye to earn, lol

Regardless, though, it WOULD be nice if colors matched their icons and were consistant across the various style unlocks.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's definitely the darkest "black" in the game, but it also has a shine to it. It's a metallic black, not a matte black. Yes I know everyone wants matte colors and yet so many of the ones we have are shiny, I don't understand it.

Edited by ArchMikem on January 20, 2021 5:49AM
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Void pitch looks awesome depending on the motif. On some it looks too purple, on other motifs it just looks black. For motifs that look purple, you want to instead opt for using legate black.
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I run it on quite a few character costumes, and it is completely black. Try out the thieves guild costume as an example.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has a purple metallic sheen on a very deep black. On the materials that are less shiny, it will appear very black. On more shiny materials, it will appear purple, as the general rule. Some fabrics of particular outfits and costumes will just dye weird, and those are just the way they are.
  • ne.ga.kurai_ESO
    ne.ga.kurai_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    It all depends on the base shader. On anything with a dominant specular it will have a magenta tint. On cloth it will be basically featureless and all black. It is the same *** with the legate black --- it has a blue specular color.
  • Lady_Sleepless
    Lady_Sleepless
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Time to rank this Mayhem. (Many players I know PvPed to get the dye and fell in love with the combat....despite all the performance issues most of the year, the game actually runs better in Cyo during MM. use all the AP buffs you can.Happy dye collecting!

Looking through photos of it, it DOES look a lot better than noxiphilic and obsidian. I'm terrible at pvp, though, so that might be the harder dye to earn, lol

Regardless, though, it WOULD be nice if colors matched their icons and were consistant across the various style unlocks.

Do you have Coldharbour black? It isn't as dark as Legate or Void Pitch, but it's the best we have otherwise.
  • Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In certain lighting yeah it has a deep-ish purple or bluish tint but under most all scenarios its blackout looking. It's still one of my new favorites but legate black is legit too!
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First thing I did after unlocking this dye was to go to all my toons currently using legate black (almost all do on some level) and try it out. I will concede, part of me was grateful that it seems to be inferior to Legate Black on almost every motif I tried. It is much shinier and some motifs it has a distinct purplish tint, and on one, it had a reddish tint (cant remember which one it was). If you want a true flat black, legates is the best there is. Void Pitch is certainly a reasonable option, but if your really want black, a legate you must be.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Odovacar wrote: »
    but legate black is legit too!

My PvP Main is still 10mil-ish away from Legate :'(
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Void pitch is the blackest in game it just doesnt display well on clothe some metals and some leathers of older motifs. It works perfectly on pretty much any motif since summerset onward
  • volkeswagon
    volkeswagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I worst dyes are the metallic ones at the very bottom. They aren't even close to whats in the swatch on the screen
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »

16 million here :#
  • Cirantille
    Cirantille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I agree, I was hyped and grinded it the first night it was released.

But meh compared to Legate black, then turned back using Legate.
  • LadyLethalla
    LadyLethalla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On PS5 Void Pitch looks like velvet. I like it.
    x-TallyCat-x // PC EU DC - For the Covenant! // ESO Platinum trophy - 16th May 2017Proud member of the Aetherium Alliance.Melbourne Australia - the land of Potato Internet.WTB ESO OCEANIC SERVER
  • Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It reeeeally depends on what you are applying it to. On the styles that are always light/pale, it can finally give a nice dark grey colour, on some it will be black with purple shine, and on some it goes completely is-there-a-texture-missing vantablack.
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was really disappointing for me, I don't like the purple tint and will probably end up never using it.
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »

AP adds up fairly quick over time if you just don't think about it. I rarely look at my rank (I have 1 grand overlord and multiple mid-tier ava ranked alts). Give yourself a goal of spring time and I bet you get there before, GL mate :) **You're close!!
    Edited by Odovacar on January 21, 2021 7:15PM
  • Zulera301
    Zulera301
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just beat the main quest and get the Coldharbour Ash Black. It's not the blackest black but it doesn't ever look like anything besides black.

And it's super easy to get. No skill required. Just a little tedious.
    Shortly after the formation of the Ebonheart Pact, a Nord woman was given a tour of the Tribunal Temple. When later asked about the experience, she seemed upset. Suffice to say, the Dunmer were not pleased to hear this, and thus they inquired further.
    "Well," the Nord frowned, "the priests were very angry and unwelcoming. They kept shouting things at me like "you can't drink that mead in here!" and "somebody stop her, she's running naked!" and "we can't catch her; she's covered in grease!""
  • Recent
    Recent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coldharbour 'Ash black is very black . It's a matte black...not shiny.
    I use it often and it's pitch black

You get it for completing all the harborage questline that takes you to coldharbour...its a very fun questline.
    Edited by Recent on January 21, 2021 9:26PM
  • Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nairinhe wrote: »
    On the styles that are always light/pale, it can finally give a nice dark grey colour

To illustrate this ^
    Coldharbour vs Void

Dreadhorn, Ashlander
    2021-01-22-003616.jpg

Psijic
    2021-01-22-003639.jpg

Pyandonean, Crystal Tower Sapiarchs' Gown
    2021-01-22-002558.jpg
    Edited by Nairinhe on January 21, 2021 9:38PM
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Time to rank this Mayhem. (Many players I know PvPed to get the dye and fell in love with the combat)....Despite all the performance issues most of the year, the game actually runs better in Cyro during MM. Use all the AP buffs you can. Happy dye collecting!

yeah.. having the only true black in the game only obtainable via PVP is kinda ***.
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I worst dyes are the metallic ones at the very bottom. They aren't even close to whats in the swatch on the screen

I love the iridescent dyes but I have had a weird experience with the red on one armor; it looks silver!
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zulera301 wrote: »
    Just beat the main quest and get the Coldharbour Ash Black. It's not the blackest black but it doesn't ever look like anything besides black.

And it's super easy to get. No skill required. Just a little tedious.

Yeah, lot of that questline was tedious. And at the time I completed it on my two US accounts, I didn't even have decent satellite - so it wasn't really easy either.

Now I've got much better satellite, I'm hoping it will go easier for my two EU account mains. Because I really LOVE Coldharbour Black.

• JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only found it working OK on AD style motif and even then it's purple tint if you really look at it h8HXgTH.png
  • thegreat_one
    thegreat_one
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just did it on normal. I will never step in that place ever again.
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Coldharbour Ash Black has always been a perfectly good black. A huge issue is the way that a lot of costumes and materials don't dye dark colors
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage noble & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Coldharbour Ash Black has always been a perfectly good black. A huge issue is the way that a lot of costumes and materials don't dye dark colors

Yeah it can be really disappointing when you want to dye a certain item and it comes out looking meh...I really wish the cording on the Black Hand Robe would dye properly :(
  • WraithShadow13
    WraithShadow13
    ✭✭✭✭
    I run it on quite a few character costumes, and it is completely black. Try out the thieves guild costume as an example.

I've tried both the thieves guild and the dark brother hood costume. Some parts were dark purple but the rest were the bright purple. I'll have to see if i can't screen shot it.