The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Feedback on latest crown store email

Danikat
Danikat
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
(This is aimed at ZOS, because I didn't think it was worth a support ticket.)

I don't think the wording on the latest crown store email (January Crown store email) was very well thought out. The combination of the subject "Prepare for the Gates of Oblivion with New Gear" and the email itself listing just "Ebonsteel Knights Arms Pack" and "Ysgramor’s Ascendance Armor Pack" lead to 3 separate people I know who no longer play ESO thinking the crown store is now selling actual gear, which put them off any idea of coming back to the game.

They mentioned it to me because they wanted to know why I was still playing now it's "gone pay to win" and new gear has to be bought from the crown store.

Of course I explained to them that it's just skins and not actual gear, in spite of the email saying it is, but I'm concerned other people will have the same reaction and won't have a friend who is still playing (or won't bother to mention it) to explain.
PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • theCampeR_
    theCampeR_
    ✭✭✭
    This is so relatable.

When they announced the last crown store house, I thought they are selling actual houses and sold the house that I lived in.
  • Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    When you care enough to go "OMG, P2W, how horrible", but not enough for a bit of... heck, that's not even research, just click and see what those items actually are. All we had to do, was follow the damn link, CJ!
  • LadyAstrum
    LadyAstrum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    (This is aimed at ZOS, because I didn't think it was worth a support ticket.)

I don't think the wording on the latest crown store email (January Crown store email) was very well thought out. The combination of the subject "Prepare for the Gates of Oblivion with New Gear" and the email itself listing just "Ebonsteel Knights Arms Pack" and "Ysgramor’s Ascendance Armor Pack" lead to 3 separate people I know who no longer play ESO thinking the crown store is now selling actual gear, which put them off any idea of coming back to the game.

They mentioned it to me because they wanted to know why I was still playing now it's "gone pay to win" and new gear has to be bought from the crown store.

Of course I explained to them that it's just skins and not actual gear, in spite of the email saying it is, but I'm concerned other people will have the same reaction and won't have a friend who is still playing (or won't bother to mention it) to explain.

I think you have a legitimate concern and I feel like you've expressed it out of genuine concern that people might misinterpret it. These forums are here for respectful feedback and hopefully, someone at ZoS will perhaps take a closer look at any future emails just to make sure the message is clearly communicated. It is important that players, current and past, understand clearly what's being said otherwise it can have an undesirable effect. After all, these things are sent out to positively represent what the game is selling, so again, I think you're actually quite considerate to express this concern to ZoS.
    Edited by LadyAstrum on January 13, 2021 7:23PM
    ~ "You think me brutish? How do you imagine I view you?" - Molag Bal #misunderstood ~
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The OP is simply giving feedback to ZOS. I am absolutely amazed by the commentary. Nothing the OP said was rude or disparaging, they are simply sharing information to help Zenimax.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nairinhe wrote: »
    When you care enough to go "OMG, P2W, how horrible", but not enough for a bit of... heck, that's not even research, just click and see what those items actually are. All we had to do, was follow the damn link, CJ!

Like I said these are people who have already stopped playing so their commitment and interest will be pretty low. I'm not sure why they're still signed up for emails but I hope it means they're open to the idea of coming back one day if something interests them enough. (A bit like the game's first year when I didn't think it was worth the subscription cost but kept checking in on it, hoping for something to change my mind, which ended up being when they made the subscription optional.)

And I guess they did kind of do research in that they asked me to explain it.

But also marketing doesn't rely on people making reasonable decisions and taking the time to do their own research into what's on offer. If customers have to go out of their way to find out what you're selling and convince themselves that they want it then your marketing is ineffective. It's often aiming for the opposite reaction - making a person's first impulse that they want this thing so they either skip that research or go into it with the attitude that they want to buy the product and they're just finding out more about it first.

I just wanted ZOS to know that in this case some potential customers first impression was the opposite and some simple changes to the wording could have averted that.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    Nairinhe wrote: »

Like I said these are people who have already stopped playing so their commitment and interest will be pretty low. I'm not sure why they're still signed up for emails but I hope it means they're open to the idea of coming back one day if something interests them enough. (A bit like the game's first year when I didn't think it was worth the subscription cost but kept checking in on it, hoping for something to change my mind, which ended up being when they made the subscription optional.)

And I guess they did kind of do research in that they asked me to explain it.

But also marketing doesn't rely on people making reasonable decisions and taking the time to do their own research into what's on offer. If customers have to go out of their way to find out what you're selling and convince themselves that they want it then your marketing is ineffective. It's often aiming for the opposite reaction - making a person's first impulse that they want this thing so they either skip that research or go into it with the attitude that they want to buy the product and they're just finding out more about it first.

I just wanted ZOS to know that in this case some potential customers first impression was the opposite and some simple changes to the wording could have averted that.

I just find it odd, that they immediately assumed that the game has "gone pay to win", when the description of the armor and arms packs in the article explicitly says that they alter appearance of your gear. But I've got your point.

And I must admit that ZOS isn't exactly great in describing their offers.