The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Please also change extra target heal on Polar Wind to group member only as well.

Jameson18
Jameson18
✭✭✭✭✭
Its annoying. I use this morph to help heal a teammate in pvp. It's a great heal.

Unless it goes on some 20k hp VD fodder guy that ran in at just the right time. Then my buddy gets boned because he was CC'd and I couldn't support him through it.

Bottom line - there's a bunch of skills that still heal "allies" when I thought healing was changed to group members only? Can we not "half" do things by now?

The skill Polar Wind in particular needs to be changed to group member, not "nearby ally".

Unless there are other opinions? For me, I'm trying to use it to help my group or partner. We build a team setup that should work, but I fail to execute because my heals don't land if someone else is nearby. Then of course I hit it again and again, trying to get it to land. Run out of magicka. Buddy dies. I'm next because I'm out of resources. Frustrating.

Yeah, I get it. There's other heals. That's not the point though.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand what you are saying and sympathize with your situation. My situation is basically the opposite. 80% of my healer's work is done ungrouped. Even when grouped, I want to be able to heal nearby allies. First it was Barrier that changed from 'allies' to 'group'. Then it was all of Cyrodiil, Earthgore, Winter's Respite and many other sets. All those group only skills/sets/activities are now totally unusable for me and if the trend continues, I'm gone from healing completely. I'm not alone and my style of play is perfect valid. Thing is, I'm sure you're not alone either and there is nothing wrong with how you want to play. Currently, I don't see a good answer that is too different from the current situation of trying to balance between two opposing styles. In theory, 'smart' heals should be the answer for heals that only apply to one other (Polar Wind) or to a limited number (Rapid Regen) and reach out to the lowest health ally. It would be lovely to have a toggle in combat settings: Your heals apply to group only or all allies. :)
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on January 13, 2021 1:12PM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Jameson18
    Jameson18
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand what you are saying and sympathize with your situation. My situation is basically the opposite. 80% of my healer's work is done ungrouped. Even when grouped, I want to be able to heal nearby allies. First it was Barrier that changed from 'allies' to 'group'. Then it was all of Cyrodiil, Earthgore, Winter's Respite and many other sets. All those group only skills/sets/activities are now totally unusable for me and if the trend continues, I'm gone from healing completely. I'm not alone and my style of play is perfect valid. Thing is, I'm sure you're not alone either and there is nothing wrong with how you want to play. Currently, I don't see a good answer that is too different from the current situation of trying to balance between two opposing styles. In theory, 'smart' heals should be the answer for heals that only apply to one other (Polar Wind) or to a limited number (Rapid Regen) and reach out to the lowest health ally. It would be lovely to have a toggle in combat settings: Your heals apply to group only or all allies. :)

I actually agree with this. It's totally situational. I have the same issue with my templar. I want to be able to heal everyone, not just my group. Extended ritual on the ground is now only useful if i'm grouped. The whole thing is a total double edged sword.

A toggle would definitely be a cool option. What about the "smart" healing "prioritizing" group members, but still working on others?

In the case of Polar wind and how i'm using the toon though, it would be nice if it were a "group only" or "group first". It's already a small area range and only lands on one target. As opposed to radiating regeneration, extended ritual, lifesteal vine/altar effects etc. - I think the skills themselves need to be looked at and dissected in terms of the intended use, rather than just lumping every ability in with "heals only hit your group" or not.

In this particular instance, I actually shifted to the use of it based* on the healing change. Thinking it would be a pretty killer cross heal addition. Not so much.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like your idea of heals going to allies but prioritizing those in your group if you are grouped.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo