Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

snip

RemanCyrodiil_I
RemanCyrodiil_I
✭✭✭✭✭
-
Edited by RemanCyrodiil_I on April 20, 2022 5:24PM
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are there any other instances of "Imperial City" being used instead of "the Imperial City"? For those who play in German, French, etc., was this the same in your languages in Petronius' dialogue, or was this an outlier in the English version?

Sorry, can't remember the exact German quest dialogue - but I think they did not omit the article, because it sounds very strange to me, so I probably would have noticed.

I know because in the Elder Scrolls novels, exactly that happened in the German translation: no article, "die Kaiserstadt" became "Kaiserstadt", as if it was just a normal city name like Hamburg or Hanover. It really irritated me every single time. Then again, there were generally some rather unusual translations - probably because the translators were not familiar with the games. In the games, however, I've always seen it with an article, not without.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    Are there any other instances of "Imperial City" being used instead of "the Imperial City"? For those who play in German, French, etc., was this the same in your languages in Petronius' dialogue, or was this an outlier in the English version?

Sorry, can't remember the exact German quest dialogue - but I think they did not omit the article, because it sounds very strange to me, so I probably would have noticed.

I know because in the Elder Scrolls novels, exactly that happened in the German translation: no article, "die Kaiserstadt" became "Kaiserstadt", as if it was just a normal city name like Hamburg or Hanover. It really irritated me every single time. Then again, there were generally some rather unusual translations - probably because the translators were not familiar with the games. In the games, however, I've always seen it with an article, not without.

The translations of Elder Scrolls games are good for the most part, but then these errors often appear due to lack of knowledge about the game. I remember in Skyrim if you help the Argonian in Riften get his wedding ring he starts saying "Ours is to smile upon your passing", meaning they would like to see you come by again, but the German translation translated it to "Unseres ist es Euer 'hinscheiden zu belächeln", which is "passing away", not "passing by".
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ratzkifal wrote: »
    The translations of Elder Scrolls games are good for the most part, but then these errors often appear due to lack of knowledge about the game. I remember in Skyrim if you help the Argonian in Riften get his wedding ring he starts saying "Ours is to smile upon your passing", meaning they would like to see you come by again, but the German translation translated it to "Unseres ist es Euer 'hinscheiden zu belächeln", which is "passing away", not "passing by".

Please don't remind me on how they pronounced "Skyrim" in Oblivion ;) No, honestly, there are awful translations, even in ESO. The worst thing to me is still the line you sometimes hear at the College of Aldmeri Propriety on Auridon. The original is something like "Because your race is worthless..." - in German they translated "race" not as "ethnicity" but as "running" ("Weil Euer Rennen wertlos ist...") :unamused: I have no clue how you could even think that sentence makes any sense.
    Edited by Syldras on January 10, 2021 4:58AM
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire