Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New player here, I am looking for advise

korbel05
korbel05
Hi all, I quit wow after 15 years and I want to give a chance to ESO. My only experience with elder scrolls is Skyrim and I really enjoyed it so my view on this world is based mainly on Skyrim.
I planed to make Argonian magicka warden healer (I like the nature healing theme as I mained healer druid in wow) or Dunmer stamina sorcerer (I play something similar in Skyrim - Dunmer in glass armor with 1H sword and spell in other hand and I really enjoyed it). My focus would be mainly on story with some dungeons, nothing like high end raiding.
I watched few videos on youtube and heared that healers are not needed in dungeons, is it true? Is it worthy to play healer (or some sort of warden with focus on resto staff and green balance skill tree). Or should I play the stam sorcerer rather then warden.
I want to my character match the lore as much as possible, but I dont like rogue style gameplay so no shadowscale or morag tong and I am looking for some sort of example in lore for my characters. Also I dont want to play any other race then Dunmer or Argonian, I like their architecture and look (and Guars, they are awesome!).
Can you help me with some lore examples for mentioned classes and advise me on the healer issue?
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Healer it depends. Take a bunch of low level characters into a dungeon and you need a healer. Take a bunch of high level characters into a low level dungeon and you don't really need a healer (in fact you can solo many of the base ones at high level with some skills/practice). For veteran or trial content healing is an art form of its own.

For non endgame content you don't really have to worry too much about builds and you can also build fairly hybrid characters. In fact a healer and a magicka damage dealer don't diverge much until champion points - it's just a different staff skill line you also need to unlock and learn. In a situation where you don't need much healing a healer is usually mostly a magicka damage dealer perhaps doing less damage because they have chosen more healing focussed gear sets and champion point assignment.

In addition as you approach level 50 you get freebie scrolls for skill and attribute respec so you can in fact redesign your character a lot before end game.

You get 9 character slots so honestly I'd go make both - get them to level 20 or 30 or so and then make some actual decisions 8)
    Too many toons not enough time
  • SpiritofESO
    SpiritofESO
    ✭✭✭
    korbel05 wrote: »
    Hi all, I quit wow after 15 years and I want to give a chance to ESO.

My focus would be mainly on story with some dungeons, nothing like high end raiding.

I watched few videos on youtube and heared that healers are not needed in dungeons, is it true?

Also I dont want to play any other race then Dunmer or Argonian, I like their architecture and look (and Guars, they are awesome!).

Can you help me with some lore examples for mentioned classes and advise me on the healer issue?

I started in WoW on Day One of Vanilla WoW. Memories! :smiley:

Healers -- (I have a Bosmer Nightblade DD/DPS, a Altmer Templar Healer, and an Imperial Tank. All are max level with max Champion Points.) are only needed in dungeons: IF YOU WANT TO LIVE.

How do I know? Because if my Healer is not present in a group dungeon healing during every Boss encounter players will die, especially if they refuse to stand in the "healing circles."

YESTERDAY I was in a low-level PUG doing my Random Dungeon for Transmute Crystals and on the Final Boss ALL of the low-level players -- who would not stay in the "healing circles" -- eventually died and my Templar had to finish off the Boss (a huge Dwemer Robot) and all the Adds by herself SOLO. Even with massive continual healing, low-level poorly equipped players melt like snow in the face of any tough boss.

So, yeah -- Healers are NEEDED. Well-geared max-CP players actually need little healing, but it sure doesn't hurt, and even a Healer will have an Offensive Skills Bar aside from the Healer Skills Bar so the Healer can suddenly become a Damage Dealer ... as needed.

Dunmer architecture is SUPERB and I love the lore of the Tribunal and Almalexia, Sotha Sil and (especially) the Warrior-Poet Vivec! The Former Living Gods (see: Heart of Lorkhan) which are now "merely" super-powerful nearly ageless Dunmer mortals and leaders of their respective city-states. I loved doing the quest line with each of them!

:smiley:
    • ~ PS NA ~ ALDMERI DOMINION ~
    • IVY GOLDBLADE, WOOD ELF NIGHTBLADE, Former Empress
    • IVY GOLDBLAZE, HIGH ELF TEMPLAR
    • "Adapt or Die"
  • vestahls
    vestahls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can definitely play a healer, and they are still needed, though not so much. However, you should be aware that this game plays very differently from WoW, and very differently from Skyrim too (it looks and feels like a completely different game, which it is, so don't go into it expecting Skyrim or you'll be disappointed).

The thing is, combat in ESO is quite fastpaced, so there's no real need for a pure-healing focused healer. I main a healer now and more than half my skills are offensive. I only need a few healing skills to get a group through dungeons. The rest of the time, healers are expected to do damage, because the pace of combat just doesn't necessitate all that healing.
    “He is even worse than a n'wah. He is - may Vivec forgive me for uttering this word - a Hlaalu.”
    luv Abnur
    luv Rigurt
    luv Stibbons

'ate Ayrenn
    'ate Razum-dar
    'ate Khamira

simple as
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Throw everything you remember about Skyrim out the window.

To level your healer, you are going to want to level it as a DPS. Its just not practical or really possible to level a healer by healing. Upside is you will end up with a character that can swap between DPS and healer roles by changing gear and CP without having to level all the skills over again.

As for healers in dungeons, yes, they are still needed. Particularly in some of the tougher DLC vet dungeons. But as your healer will have DPS skills and capabilities, you can still queue in as a healer for group finder dungeons and get in quicker than a DPS.

Finally, most healers are expected to buff the group and heal the group, but your main focus is on healing the tank. Its something you will see as you progress in the game.

Racially, Argonian and Dunmer both work with a magwarden healer.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Healers are still needed in dungeons. They do a hybrid role in ESO though. A lot of people who player healers in dungeons are also buffing and doing dps.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Healers are still needed in dungeons. They do a hybrid role in ESO though. A lot of people who player healers in dungeons are also buffing and doing dps.
    This it depend a lot on the dungeon and the group.
    If none take lots of damage you do damage, if people take a lot of damage you heal them.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • mobicera
    mobicera
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At low levels of play healers are often used in dungeons, ie. Pugs and such.
    In organized 4 person content, ie. preformed groups of reasonably skilled players full healers are typically a detriment.
    However this isn't saying you can't use a warden argonian as a hybrid healer/dd
    But if you want to focus solely on healing then I'm sorry to say you will only be needed in pug groups where people stand in stupid and scream at you something you might have seen in wow as it exists in all mmo, which honestly gets tiresome...
    Now if hybrid dd/healer warden does appeal and fits your lore this is the route I would go, more so since you might have to use group finder and dd can sit in que for a very long time but as a hybrid healer/dd you can both dps and heal since healing also scales with offensive stats. Not only that but even in preformed people are generally ok grabbing a hybrid style dd/healer focusing more on buffing/debuffing and dps rather than straight raw healing power, which isn't required in 4 person.
    For the story overland content either a stam sorc which has amazing self healing and sustain for a stam toon or the warden which has a little bit if everything in its kit will serve you well both allowing a fairly decent solo experience including world bosses etc.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your initial choices (except for class) are very forgiving. You can change whether you want to be a mage or use physical damage weaponry/skills. You can change your race. You can change your appearance. You can change your champion point (CP) allocation. Your attribute allocation. Your skills. And for class, most folks end up creating additional characters to explore differing classes.

From your initial post, it sounds like a magic user would be of interest to you. Templars and Wardens both make fine mages - whether focused on healing or damage.

PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • wishlist14
    wishlist14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please create your character the way you want to...you will get dungeons easily as a healer. I love my warden healer, and i can do damage too. We get 2 bars at lvl 15 so we can have healing skills on one bar and damage or dps on the other.

You can always make another class and race as an alt and experiment, or not , upto you.....you get lots of character slots

I suggest you do the main story line as it gives nice rewards and it's great fun (no spoilers)

Noone else is you so you do you and play what you like and how you like it.😊

Edited by wishlist14 on January 9, 2021 10:53AM
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only advice I can give you is only if you have ESO+. If you don't plan to get it, at least get it for one month. Reason is, so you have access to the Gold Coast. You WANT to ACCEPT the Dark Brotherhood quest. Just need to accept it, not to finish it.

Once accepted you will be given the Blade of Woe. This allows you to sneak behind someone and assassinate them. For me, I role play that I am not killing anyone but "knocking them out". They come back a few minutes later so it's not like they die so them coming back is like they actually are knocked out.

It helps when you want to be a sneaky character or just role play when you need to sneak and don't want to confront anyone with conflict.
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"