The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Will Elder Scrolls 6 kill Elder Scrolls Online?

Raideen
Raideen
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I have no interest in Elder Scrolls 6 (I prefer MMO's over single player games), but I wonder if the hold out on ES6 is the fear that it would interrupt the monetization from Elder Scrolls Online.

So the poll question is. Will you still play ESO when Elder Scrolls 6 comes out?

Will Elder Scrolls 6 kill Elder Scrolls Online? 65 votes

Yes I will still play ESO and/or sub to ESO+ and/or buy crowns.
67% 44 votes
Yes I will still play ESO but I will not sub nor buy crowns.
12% 8 votes
No I will not play ESO.
20% 13 votes
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I hit enter by accident. I would have included the option of "I have no interest in Elder Scrolls 6 and will continue playing ESO"...but my fat finger did not allow it.
  • radiostar
    radiostar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only if it doesn't crash
    "Billions upon Billions of Stars"
  • ImmortalCX
    ImmortalCX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will definitely impact it, if not right away then 1-2 years down the line. The graphics in ESO will look pathetic in comparison.

IF es6 has multiplayer mode, then I wont play eso anymore.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll play both.
  • Daemons_Bane
    Daemons_Bane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other: How the Holy Hel could I know already
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll play both.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty sure ESO will be dead before TES 6 comes out. Starfield is first, then TES 6. Plus whatever remasters & ports of stuff Beth fills the time in between with (gotta have Skyrim on sixteen more platforms, even though I'd rather have remasters of FO3 & Morrowind.).

edit: but yeah, I can't see it being much different than when any other "big game" comes out - I go off and play that game for awhile, then get dragged back into ESO by an event. With it being b2p and not needing a sub, I come and go constantly. They're different games with different appeals, even if they are in the same lore/world. (although, it's been more "go" in recent months - I've got lots of other games to play, and I uninstalled when they did the "gotta redownload the entire thing" patch. Something will pull me back eventually.)
    Edited by Kiralyn2000 on December 30, 2020 10:32PM
  • Faiza
    Faiza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll play both, but I also don't think it's fair to equate single player games with MMOs, even within the same franchise.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It all depends on ES6. After it has been out for at least a year and there is a full wiki, the bugs (of any new game) have been fixed, I'll check the reviews and see.

What I seek as a home for my elf is a massive, open world, single player medieval fantasy rpg where I have complete control over who my character is and she does not have to recruit or build a party. Such a game does not exist. Oblivion and Skyrim were wonderful but fell short (after a few years in each) in terms of being massive. ESO nails everything except the single player part (though it is quite friendly to soloists).
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something is amiss. Saying yes TE 6 will kill ESO is also saying the player will keep playing ESO.

The answer contradicts itself.
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Something is amiss. Saying yes TE 6 will kill ESO is also saying the player will keep playing ESO.

no because it was a question. read the title again
    "𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
    PC/NA
  • Tremuto
    Tremuto
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry but what is this garbage poll?

Title
    Will you still play ESO when Elder Scrolls 6 comes out?

Actual Poll
    No I will not play ESO.

Why with the misdirection and click bait?
  • vestahls
    vestahls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Implying ESO will last that long.

ESO has another like 10-15 years left in it, it will be long gone by the time we see TES6.
    “He is even worse than a n'wah. He is - may Vivec forgive me for uttering this word - a Hlaalu.”
    luv Abnur
    luv Rigurt
    luv Stibbons

'ate Ayrenn
    'ate Razum-dar
    'ate Khamira

simple as
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vestahls wrote: »
    Implying ESO will last that long.

ESO has another like 10-15 years left in it, it will be long gone by the time we see TES6.
    LOL, yes its kind of been 5 years since Fallout 4.
    We have close to no info about starfield who will come before TES 6.
    And yes 10-15 years is kind of the expected life of ESO, that is 2030-35, might get a bit more life if good.
    Note the game will still be around afterward but in maintenance mode, just playing it for the lore like people play morrowind now and probably many RP guilds but commercially dead as in your lucky if you get new stuff in the crown store.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Calm_Fury
    Calm_Fury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are completely different games for different audiences.

A lot of people will play ESO less with TES VI (if ESO is even still alive then), just like they do with all major AA games. Then we beat those games and go back to ESO.

I for one always still play some dungeons even when I'm focusing on other games.

I don't think TES VI will have that big of an impact.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course not. ESO is an MMO and caters to a different audience. Sure there are similarities, but I can play with my friends in ESO, I cannot play with my friends in TES 6
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ll probably check out TES VI but IV and V were just okay to me — some fun aspects, but I don’t think I got far in the main story. I loved TES III as it was such a unique world and experience unlike any I’d had before.

I really like games that have developed characters and let your decisions develop your interactions and relationships with them, as in the Dragon Age franchise.

In MMORPG’s, it’s great if I can get some of that aspect too (SWTOR was the best in this regard), but generally come for other aspects, including playing with others.

At best, a single player game will hold my obsession for a time, but I would certainly come back to ESO if I am still playing it, which I hope will be the case. :)
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The main Question is Will SKyWind and SkyBlivion Kill TES6

Lord Knows Eso will only get bigger
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think TES6 will affect my ESO playing very much.

As it is, I already play most of the single-player TES games, and they don't keep me from playing ESO.

ESO has actually helped me to relax my playing style in the sense of slowing down and playing through the content at a more leisurely and enjoyable (to me) pace. Oh, I went crazy during my first 6 months of playing ESO, running around everywhere and doing quests all out of sequence-- but eventually I settled into more of a "day-to-day life" mindset, where I'm more interested in "living and working and playing" within the game's world.

So I'm not expecting to "attack" TES6 immediately upon release and trying to "beat" it as quickly as possible, the way a lot of players like to approach new (to them) games.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • iksde
    iksde
    ✭✭✭✭
    seeing how TES went from morrowind to skyrim I wont have any bigger interest with next game of these series anyway, best I coudl do is just lurk on it and maybe play on priate version max or if it will cost close to nothing and I already dont sub for ESO+ because it is not worth for my money in current state of this game
  • Faiza
    Faiza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »
    Of course not. ESO is an MMO and caters to a different audience. Sure there are similarities, but I can play with my friends in ESO, I cannot play with my friends in TES 6

This - If anything my guild will play TES 6 then all log back onto to ESO to talk about it while we play together lol
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll play both. I've never been the type of person to play just 1 game at a time, instead I go between several different games based on what I feel like doing at the time.

I'll do the same with ESO and TES 6 when it comes out, and whatever other games I'm playing when that happens.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think persistent performance problems will kill my desire to play ESO first. Though my playtime will plummet when TES6 comes out.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I did and suggest you read the yes answer.

73%, at this point, are saying they will keep playing ESO even though they are saying Yes, TES 6 will kill ESO. That is pretty much a contradiction.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will play both.

But looking on a new "AAA" games that come out buggy and kinda broken, and TES II / III / IV / V games being notorious for hilarious & often game breaking bugs to the point that almost always modding community pretty much "saves" the whole game and makes it life span longer, I would say this:

If Bethesda / Miscrosoft allow for easy modding and provide CS kit as we always had with TES games - it will be great game, even though it will be buggy at 1st.
    Also, since Microsoft is involved, I DO hope that we will have this game on other platforms (like Steam) and it won't be MS store / Xbox app exclusive.

^ If not though and we will have "Paid" mods, instead of actual mods and game will be MS store exclusive - it will flop hard imho.
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It'll take a decent hit, I'll give you that.

ESO is unlike many other MMOs because it's going for the casual TES fan. I know, I'm one of them - I never touched an MMO until ESO, and I'm here for the lore. Their last few expansions have been really big on bringing in those casual fans who haven't had much to play since Skyrim.

Many of these TES fans aren't here for the MMO part of the game. A lot even prefer the single-player parts of this, and will be more than happy to leave other people behind. Also mods, as TES games are big on modding, and there's not much you can do with ESO.

There's a really good chance that TES6 will take most of those casual fans with it.
    Edited by tomofhyrule on December 31, 2020 12:02AM
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I did and suggest you read the yes answer.

73%, at this point, are saying they will keep playing ESO even though they are saying Yes, TES 6 will kill ESO. That is pretty much a contradiction.

Actually they are correct.

If you actually read my post the question was
    Raideen wrote: »
    So the poll question is. Will you still play ESO when Elder Scrolls 6 comes out?

You assumed the title was the question to the poll, it is not. Pixiepumpkin is correct.
  • Flaaklypa
    Flaaklypa
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did pineapples kill oranges?
    Edited by Flaaklypa on December 31, 2020 12:01AM
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It'll take a decent hit, I'll give you that.

ESO is unlike many other MMOs because it's going for the casual TES fan. I know, I'm one of them - I never touched an MMO until ESO, and I'm here for the lore. Their last few expansions have been really big on bringing in those casual fans who haven't had much to play since Skyrim.

Many of these TES fans aren't here for the MMO part of the game. A lot even prefer the single-player parts of this, and will be more than happy to leave other people behind. Also mods, as TES games are big on modding, and there's not much you can do with ESO.

There's a really good chance that TES6 will take most of those casual fans with it.

That is my thought as well. Because of the saturation in the market of MMO's I would be safe to assume that many who play ESO are here because of the single player Elder Scrolls Games. If another single player Elder Scrolls game came out, how many of these people who currently play ESO would go play the single player game. I would also bet a large portion of the "yes I will play and PAY votes are biased" because its highly unlikely that once someone is hooked into the single player Elder Scrolls game that they are going to continue paying for ESO when they can do maintenance log ins without ESO+ or crowns.
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tremuto wrote: »
    I'm sorry but what is this garbage poll?

Title
    Will you still play ESO when Elder Scrolls 6 comes out?

Actual Poll
    No I will not play ESO.

Why with the misdirection and click bait?

Its not misdirection. Its a matter of the poll taking the title of the thread as the poll question. Because this is not editable I laid out the poll question above the poll window.

Its not about misdirection, its about the limits of formatting.
This discussion has been closed.