The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Why doesnt Zenimax make the game simpler with adding addons in base game?

udaba
udaba
✭✭✭
I am curious why addons doesnt add up to the base game .One day they have to become part of the game . Is there any law blocking this ?
PC/EU 1600 CP+
  • Faiza
    Faiza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Consoles
  • MoonlightShadow
    MoonlightShadow
    ✭✭✭
    There have been ideas taken from addons that are incorporated into the base game. It just takes a while for them to be incorporated. If I remember correctly, the filters in the guild traders, and search boxes in inventory are examples of addons that were added to the game.
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just want them to put in the mini-map - there's zero reason for that to not be an option in the settings
  • udaba
    udaba
    ✭✭✭
    Faiza wrote: »
    Consoles

Im not sure about it . Sorry if im wrong but i think consoles cant download addons .
    But if the addons become part of the base game would be much easier and simpler .
    PC/EU 1600 CP+
  • Foto1
    Foto1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Iccotak wrote: »
    Just want them to put in the mini-map - there's zero reason for that to not be an option in the settings

the mini map was in early beta tests. then they removed it. I think because the mini map is not a feature of the elder scrolls games
    PC/EU CP 1200+
    Artaxerks stamina dk khajiit
    Wayna Qhapaq magicka dk argonian
    Rorekur stamina sorc orc
    Maria de Medici magicka sorc breton
    Cordeilla stamina warden wood elf
    Quienn Gwendolen magicka warden high elf
    Nefertari stamina necro khajiit
    Boadicea Icenian magicka templar dark elf
    Clarice de Medici healer nb breton
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Foto1 wrote: »
    Iccotak wrote: »

the mini map was in early beta tests. then they removed it. I think because the mini map is not a feature of the elder scrolls games

Correct!!!

In fact the add-ons that enable the mini-map I hear are just re-enabling the feature. The mini-map was replaced with the compass since the compass is iconic to the Elder Scrolls UI, especially Skyrim's minimalistic UI ESO is copying.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Daemons_Bane
    Daemons_Bane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I hate mini maps, so I'd be fine if they stayed an add-on option.. besides, addons/mods are a tried and tested ES feature
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I could answer that but it would be [redacted] :wink:
    Edited by Gythral on December 30, 2020 9:39AM
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the established core features of TES has always been combining a minimalist UI with player mods to provide those additional things that some players may or may not want. When ESO was announced there was a massive call from the TES playerbase to carry that core feature over into ESO, there being a large modding community that wanted to be able to embrace ESO.

I personally don't use addons in either the single-player TES games or ESO but have no problem with additional features being switched from addons to the base game as long as they are entirely optional.
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They are adding into the base game bit by bit....as their own quality of life updates:

Eg..setting how many you can craft, crafting writs. Etc, except to see more :)
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not uncommon for EULAs to mention the rights of the game creator to use ideas from addons - companies have been stung enough times in the past to know to do this now.

From a design perspective, addons actually make the game more complicated for the most part. Most of them *add* features, rather than change or simplify - eso as it turns out is already an incredably complex game for new players to get into.

I would be in agreement of adding things like a skyshard map - but ultimately this means that new players in addition to all the other stuff they have to learn what all those symbols on the map mean. It would also encorage new players to go hunt them down - which is bad, for new players. You want those players to follow the quests for the most part, as they will give a streamlined introduction to the game. Other such arguments can be given for a lot of other addons that one might consider "convenient".
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as minimaps go - we had one!

And it was removed, because it reduced the incentive for players to explore when they could already see everything around them - and diverted the eyes to the corner of the screen rather than what was in front of them.

A good example of less is more.
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    udaba wrote: »
    Consoles

Im not sure about it . Sorry if im wrong but i think consoles cant download addons .
    But if the addons become part of the base game would be much easier and simpler .

Consoles can't download addons. There are other restrictions that might exist on a console that do not exist on pc. They can't add addons to the base game if it will crash consoles.

It took over a year to get the game working on consoles. Adding more stuff to it might not be a good idea; its a lot harder to hotfix consoles than it is pc.
  • Tremuto
    Tremuto
    ✭✭✭
    I believe the reason behind not being able to apply addons to consoles is due to altering/patching the game and console, which is probably a big no-no for Microsoft and Sony unless it's specifically supported/approved by the two companies (see Skyrim's and Fallout 4's Mod Workshop).

Of course this doesn't stop ZOS from taking addons from the community and adding it to the base game as QoL improvements. I just think they want us to suffer.
  • Khajiitihaswares
    Khajiitihaswares
    ✭✭✭
    Consoles

Stadia too.
  • Viewsfrom6ix
    Viewsfrom6ix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Consoles/stadia and why would ZOS do the work when people are willing to do it for free.
  • Dysprosium
    Dysprosium
    ✭✭✭
    Also it gives people more choice to customize. Some people like the game lean and clean. Others like some addons and what people like is quite varied. Takes very little time to get your addons going.
  • udaba
    udaba
    ✭✭✭
    Dysprosium wrote: »
    Also it gives people more choice to customize. Some people like the game lean and clean. Others like some addons and what people like is quite varied. Takes very little time to get your addons going.

This could very easily fixed by on/off in such options .
    PC/EU 1600 CP+
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    a lot of the addons made for eso should be put into the games factory interface
    "𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
    PC/NA
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Consoles

Zos has added features to the base game similar to what some addons do.

As to why Zos does not add more functionality to the base game? It is less work for them to keep letting players do this work.
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather have add-ons.

In many cases - I have a choice between add-ons that may do the same thing but in different ways, and I can chose the one I want.

If/when they put it into the base game - they'll just introduce bugs that take forever (if ever) to get fixed, and they'll just change the API to disable the ability to use add-ons that mimic the base game, removing choice, and locking us into a version ZOS approves of, whether we like it or not.
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

PC/NA, i7 with 32 gigs of ram, nVME cards and an nVidea 1060 over fiber.
    I don't play through Steam, ever.