The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

World Bosses Resetting

CaiWenji
CaiWenji
✭✭✭✭
Every time I have a long battle with a world boss, on my tank characters, the world bosses seem to reset for no apparent reason. It happened with a new necromancer tank about a few weeks ago with the Heritance Proving Ground in Auridon. I submitted a bug ticket then.

After a bit of play time on my warden tank I couldn't kill the dastardly duo in Elsweyr just because the bosses kept resetting after about 7 mins of slowly damaging them down. I also submitted a ticket again but thought I might find more success with the forums so I have a video now of the last time it did it. I was only able to complete the quest because some other players luckily came to help kill it faster.

Its not until the end where it shows the reset but here's the whole video of the boss fight:

https://youtu.be/iU9EkpQINaE?t=423

Edited by CaiWenji on December 29, 2020 5:50AM
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad you posted this, @CaiWenji , because I've been noticing some resetting in world bosses as well. The game in general has some more severe stability issues than I remember from the last time I played, but to just focus on the world boss resets, I've had this happen twice and there also seem to be some problems with the loot drops.

Platform: Xbox One
    Server: North America
    Date of Occurrence: within the last week for both incidents

Incident 1 - Sentinel Point World Boss (aka, the big dwemer scarab)
    Observations - three players including myself were battling this boss; during one of its more explosive mechanics two players died to it but I was still alive and in the same room that the boss spawns in. The boss reset itself to full health in spite of the battle not being a group wipe.

Incident 2 - Dugan's Knoll (aka, Dugan and his two lackeys)
    Observations: was soloing this world boss; I had killed two out of the three characters who count for this world boss. I cannot recall which one was left, but it was one of the warrior types. Then, inexplicably, the caster one just... resurrected themselves at full health. I was very confused, and even more confused after I burned them down again to see the body I had killed before still laying there. Worse, the boss did not drop any set items. It dropped an intricate greatsword.

To add, I have a lot of experience fighting world bosses, solo and otherwise. I wasn't dragging them around in weird patterns, going outside of their roaming range, or doing anything else that would have caused them to reset. They just reset because... they felt like it?

I went and knocked down one more world boss in Malabal Tor before logging, and while I didn't have the reset issue, it didn't drop a weapon set item - instead it dropped pants. I thought world bosses were guaranteed zone set weapon drops?
    Edited by Starlock on December 29, 2020 6:34AM
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if it's a timing thing; if you saying it's taking over 7 minutes. I wonder if after that long period of time, the boss just resets; similarly to adds when they will reset after some seconds if you're not engaging them. I have many hybrid tanks that I like to roll around with and solo world bosses and whatnot with, and I can't recall going over 5 minutes finishing any world boss pit. I have a Warden tank as well, but it's a stamden tank, though. All of my tanks are stam-based, except one that is a magDk hybrid tank. Then again, with all the crapshoot going on in ESO, it can very well be another bug. Whose knows, except the devs.

On another note, I don't want to criticize or critique your build. However, if you'd like, I could offer some suggestions or recommendation to add in more dps and finish those two off in much less time. I solo those two many times with my hybrid stam tanks and magDK tank and only take a few minutes when soloing (and of course in nothing flat if there was just another dd player.) You're just missing some crucial DoTs skills that you can compound and bombard them with; but, anyways, it comes down to preference and to each their own. Ha ha

• CaiWenji
    CaiWenji
    ✭✭✭✭
    GreenhaloX wrote: »
    I wonder if it's a timing thing; if you saying it's taking over 7 minutes. I wonder if after that long period of time, the boss just resets; similarly to adds when they will reset after some seconds if you're not engaging them. I have many hybrid tanks that I like to roll around with and solo world bosses and whatnot with, and I can't recall going over 5 minutes finishing any world boss pit. I have a Warden tank as well, but it's a stamden tank, though. All of my tanks are stam-based, except one that is a magDk hybrid tank. Then again, with all the crapshoot going on in ESO, it can very well be another bug. Whose knows, except the devs.

On another note, I don't want to criticize or critique your build. However, if you'd like, I could offer some suggestions or recommendation to add in more dps and finish those two off in much less time. I solo those two many times with my hybrid stam tanks and magDK tank and only take a few minutes when soloing (and of course in nothing flat if there was just another dd player.) You're just missing some crucial DoTs skills that you can compound and bombard them with; but, anyways, it comes down to preference and to each their own. Ha ha

I'm always open for suggestions on my build. This warden tank I am using full Footmans with block cost reduction enchants, Vykosa's helm+shoulder, the Bloodlord's mythic chest piece, and then 4 piece Warrior Poets all stat points into magicka and bewitched sugar skulls food. It's really fun for dragon fights because I can almost never die even with no healer and many adds at the dragon taunted, mainly because of the ice heal and the Netch purify. The skills I do change out a little from time to time on this character. But regular world bosses do take a bit of time on this character. So I would be happy to hear some tweaks I could do.

For the world bosses resetting though I think it should and is supposed to never ever reset no matter how long someone is fighting as long as they are receiving and dealing out damage. I fought the big senche raht summoner boss this morning and it took around 7-8 minutes but that boss didn't reset so I think the time it resets or perhaps the bosses that reset might be more random than I first thought.
  • CaiWenji
    CaiWenji
    ✭✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »
    I'm glad you posted this, @CaiWenji , because I've been noticing some resetting in world bosses as well. The game in general has some more severe stability issues than I remember from the last time I played, but to just focus on the world boss resets, I've had this happen twice and there also seem to be some problems with the loot drops.

Platform: Xbox One
    Server: North America
    Date of Occurrence: within the last week for both incidents

Incident 1 - Sentinel Point World Boss (aka, the big dwemer scarab)
    Observations - three players including myself were battling this boss; during one of its more explosive mechanics two players died to it but I was still alive and in the same room that the boss spawns in. The boss reset itself to full health in spite of the battle not being a group wipe.

Incident 2 - Dugan's Knoll (aka, Dugan and his two lackeys)
    Observations: was soloing this world boss; I had killed two out of the three characters who count for this world boss. I cannot recall which one was left, but it was one of the warrior types. Then, inexplicably, the caster one just... resurrected themselves at full health. I was very confused, and even more confused after I burned them down again to see the body I had killed before still laying there. Worse, the boss did not drop any set items. It dropped an intricate greatsword.

To add, I have a lot of experience fighting world bosses, solo and otherwise. I wasn't dragging them around in weird patterns, going outside of their roaming range, or doing anything else that would have caused them to reset. They just reset because... they felt like it?

I went and knocked down one more world boss in Malabal Tor before logging, and while I didn't have the reset issue, it didn't drop a weapon set item - instead it dropped pants. I thought world bosses were guaranteed zone set weapon drops?

Yeah those are strange. Boss fighting has been the same for some long I wonder why they, most older ones too are suddenly acting strange now?

The drops is something weird too. I agree that they always are supposed to drop a set piece unless I think if you killed another one too recently(at least I think that's the case with World bosses since public dungeon bosses are like that).
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »

If you are talking about the world boss on the beach right by the dolmen, I've killed that boss several times these past two days and not once has the boss dropped anything or even was lootable. Definitely appears bugged.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to make sure, you are not kiting them?
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• CaiWenji
    CaiWenji
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

No, they only reset when I fight them on a tank character. Blocking mostly in the long fights and by having low damage on tank characters for me at least.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CaiWenji wrote: »
    Nestor wrote: »

No, they only reset when I fight them on a tank character. Blocking mostly in the long fights and by having low damage on tank characters for me at least.

I have had World Bosses reset after an extended time in Summerset. I am thinking the Lurcher one when the totems were bugged (they had 500K Health and not 35K like they should). Until players figured out to ignore them, that fight could take 20 to 30 minutes. Although, those totems were also healing the boss, so that could have been it too.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm always open for suggestions on my build. This warden tank I am using full Footmans with block cost reduction enchants, Vykosa's helm+shoulder, the Bloodlord's mythic chest piece, and then 4 piece Warrior Poets all stat points into magicka and bewitched sugar skulls food. It's really fun for dragon fights because I can almost never die even with no healer and many adds at the dragon taunted, mainly because of the ice heal and the Netch purify. The skills I do change out a little from time to time on this character. But regular world bosses do take a bit of time on this character. So I would be happy to hear some tweaks I could do.

For the world bosses resetting though I think it should and is supposed to never ever reset no matter how long someone is fighting as long as they are receiving and dealing out damage. I fought the big senche raht summoner boss this morning and it took around 7-8 minutes but that boss didn't reset so I think the time it resets or perhaps the bosses that reset might be more random than I first thought.

Surely. Will try not to make this too long-winded, nor going into the actual set pieces and build; as that can trigger a debate from hell. For PvE, I just think any set and build will work, as long as you're using the right skillset and combos. So yes, I soloed the dastardly duo a couple times yesterday again with my magDK and stamDen tank, and both times were around 3-4 minutes. I mainly just solo the DLC boss dailies, if no one else is there, of course; except that crazy kitty boss Goutfang in Southern Elsweyr. I just hate that one. Oh, the two big bird bosses in Summerset can be a handful; soloed it, but that one took a while. It was well over 5 mins there, but did not reset.

Anyways, I fight world bosses with my tank similarly to any of my dds; drop as many DoTs and AOEs, then the direct damage attacks until needing to reapply the DoTs and AoEs. So, when soloing these duo (even with a dd) you'd want to focus on the little one primarily. Follow him wherever he (or is he a she? Not too sure on that. ha ha) goes and drop your DoTs and AOEs on him. The big one is too mobile and spins around the room. You don't want to chase him. He will come to you and the little one, and your AOE will damage the big one for the time being. Drop your ultimate (given that it's a damaging one; like DK's Standard of Might or Warden's Northern Storm) when the big one is with you and the little one. After you've dispatch off the little one, then finish off the big one with similar attack rotations. You can kite the litttle one and will have to watch out for the big one's charge and shield pommel.

Oftentimes, there are tanks out there throughout overland Tamriel just slashing and hacking away with the sword; no matter against adds, boss or in normal dungeons. I still get a chuckle when seeing them. Hence, why many peeps don't like leveling up a tank. I enjoy leveling up my hybrid tanks. You just have to not focus the S&B as the primary mode of attacks. It'll be a long day when you're just hacking and slashing away like that with the sword. Ha ha.

Thus, for your magDen tank, you should use your ice staff as your primary mode of attacks. I prefer the lightning staff, but again, to each their own. However, you should slot in Elemental Blockade for AoE. I never use an ice staff and not sure how the Ele Blockade effect is for an ice, but the effect out from a lightning staff is so good. You also should slot in Deep Fissure; for the Major Breach and good direct damage. I don't really use Pierce Armor from the sword when soloing. I rely more on other skill that has Major Breach or the then once great Major Fracture (which is seemingly gone with this Markarth patch.) Also, slot in Gripping Shards and Polar Wind (or Arctic Blast.)

So, on the little one (or any boss), first drop Ele Blockade, then follow up with Deep Fissure (or vice versa with Ele Blockade; really preference whether to drop either first,) then Gripping Shards and Polar Wind. I'll also switch bar to the S&B where I have my Spiked Bone Shield slot and activate that. This also gives good complemental DoT. You're just compounding and stacking DoT and AoE damages on the little one. All the while the DoT and AoE skills are burning, pommel him with the blast of the staff. I prefer to heavy attack for resource regen and usually combo the heavy with a direct damage skill. In this case, would be heavy attack and the Cliff Racer. Do this a few times and repeat the DoTs and AoEs. The big one will have since come to you and the little one, but he will get damaged by your Gripping Shard, Ele Blockade, if not also by the Polar Wind and Bone Shield. This is when I would drop the Northern Storm damaging both the duo. You can also throw the Fetcher Infection on the little one with more DoT, or can fling it on the big one.

So, by these attack rotations and spammable heavy and Cliff Racer, you should be able to finish these two off within 3-4 minutes (as I have.) Of course, in between, you're have Blue Betty up and running, self healing and breaking the big one's CC, if hit by him. Ok, sorry.. Looks a little winded than I would like it to be, but hope this (with a different outlook and perspective) helps. You know what.. maybe I'll hit those two again and just play around with them to drag it out and see if it'd reset bug for me after 7 minutes and over. Hmmm
    Edited by GreenhaloX on December 30, 2020 3:31PM
  • CaiWenji
    CaiWenji
    ✭✭✭✭

Surely. Will try not to make this too long-winded, nor going into the actual set pieces and build; as that can trigger a debate from hell. For PvE, I just think any set and build will work, as long as you're using the right skillset and combos. So yes, I soloed the dastardly duo a couple times yesterday again with my magDK and stamDen tank, and both times were around 3-4 minutes. I mainly just solo the DLC boss dailies, if no one else is there, of course; except that crazy kitty boss Goutfang in Southern Elsweyr. I just hate that one. Oh, the two big bird bosses in Summerset can be a handful; soloed it, but that one took a while. It was well over 5 mins there, but did not reset.

Anyways, I fight world bosses with my tank similarly to any of my dds; drop as many DoTs and AOEs, then the direct damage attacks until needing to reapply the DoTs and AoEs. So, when soloing these duo (even with a dd) you'd want to focus on the little one primarily. Follow him wherever he (or is he a she? Not too sure on that. ha ha) goes and drop your DoTs and AOEs on him. The big one is too mobile and spins around the room. You don't want to chase him. He will come to you and the little one, and your AOE will damage the big one for the time being. Drop your ultimate (given that it's a damaging one; like DK's Standard of Might or Warden's Northern Storm) when the big one is with you and the little one. After you've dispatch off the little one, then finish off the big one with similar attack rotations. You can kite the litttle one and will have to watch out for the big one's charge and shield pommel.

Oftentimes, there are tanks out there throughout overland Tamriel just slashing and hacking away with the sword; no matter against adds, boss or in normal dungeons. I still get a chuckle when seeing them. Hence, why many peeps don't like leveling up a tank. I enjoy leveling up my hybrid tanks. You just have to not focus the S&B as the primary mode of attacks. It'll be a long day when you're just hacking and slashing away like that with the sword. Ha ha.

Thus, for your magDen tank, you should use your ice staff as your primary mode of attacks. I prefer the lightning staff, but again, to each their own. However, you should slot in Elemental Blockade for AoE. I never use an ice staff and not sure how the Ele Blockade effect is for an ice, but the effect out from a lightning staff is so good. You also should slot in Deep Fissure; for the Major Breach and good direct damage. I don't really use Pierce Armor from the sword when soloing. I rely more on other skill that has Major Breach or the then once great Major Fracture (which is seemingly gone with this Markarth patch.) Also, slot in Gripping Shards and Polar Wind (or Arctic Blast.)

So, on the little one (or any boss), first drop Ele Blockade, then follow up with Deep Fissure (or vice versa with Ele Blockade; really preference whether to drop either first,) then Gripping Shards and Polar Wind. I'll also switch bar to the S&B where I have my Spiked Bone Shield slot and activate that. This also gives good complemental DoT. You're just compounding and stacking DoT and AoE damages on the little one. All the while the DoT and AoE skills are burning, pommel him with the blast of the staff. I prefer to heavy attack for resource regen and usually combo the heavy with a direct damage skill. In this case, would be heavy attack and the Cliff Racer. Do this a few times and repeat the DoTs and AoEs. The big one will have since come to you and the little one, but he will get damaged by your Gripping Shard, Ele Blockade, if not also by the Polar Wind and Bone Shield. This is when I would drop the Northern Storm damaging both the duo. You can also throw the Fetcher Infection on the little one with more DoT, or can fling it on the big one.

So, by these attack rotations and spammable heavy and Cliff Racer, you should be able to finish these two off within 3-4 minutes (as I have.) Of course, in between, you're have Blue Betty up and running, self healing and breaking the big one's CC, if hit by him. Ok, sorry.. Looks a little winded than I would like it to be, but hope this (with a different outlook and perspective) helps. You know what.. maybe I'll hit those two again and just play around with them to drag it out and see if it'd reset bug for me after 7 minutes and over. Hmmm

Ah thanks for such a detailed description. I haven't used those shalk beetles in a long time but I remember the high damage and debuffs they come with. The ice staff I prefer on magDen because wardens little buff to ice damage. That's also why it's helpful that you mentioned gripping shards, I didn't use this skill since pvping awhile ago on this character.

The strategy of combat you mentioned seems to make sense for a faster burn too. I was annoyed at the little cat mage for stealthing so I went for the big one first.

So thanks again so much for the advice, @GreenhaloX
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah thanks for such a detailed description. I haven't used those shalk beetles in a long time but I remember the high damage and debuffs they come with. The ice staff I prefer on magDen because wardens little buff to ice damage. That's also why it's helpful that you mentioned gripping shards, I didn't use this skill since pvping awhile ago on this character.

The strategy of combat you mentioned seems to make sense for a faster burn too. I was annoyed at the little cat mage for stealthing so I went for the big one first.

So thanks again so much for the advice, @GreenhaloX

Surely.. and you're welcome. I do see what you mean now. I went and played around with the duo again. Knocked the little one fairly quickly, about couple minutes; then brought the big one down to about 100kish hp and was dancing around the room playing with him to waste the minutes. Yes, sure enough the little one reappeared with 1.5 mil hp. I quickly knocked out the big one and re-engage the rezzed little one. Within another couple of minutes as I was about to knock out the little one, the big one reappeared again too. However, almost simultaneously as I gave the little one the final killing blow, the big one also disappeared. So, I think it is how the world bosses are programmed. I am wagering that the devs didn't think any world boss pit will go so long and put in the rotational timer; similarly to chest respawning timer. Thus, the 7 minutes or so mark must be the respawn timer of the boss pit.