The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What class makes the best tank?

Eedat
Eedat
✭✭✭✭✭
I dont tank much and have an old DK I use when I do. With the double XP event going, I was wondering what class are the best tanks? Gonna train one up.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragonknight gives you all you need.
    Dust it off and you will be good.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Warden? DKs are also very good and easier to use.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorc and I am 100% biased and I know it.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragonknight is the original with everything it needs.
    Warden and Necromancer from what I hear are pretty good as well thanks to their abilities. You can solve the lack of a pull ability on a class by using Silver Leash in the Fighter's Guild skill line.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dracane wrote: »
    Dragonknight gives you all you need.
    Dust it off and you will be good.

This. DKs are solid and provide good group utility.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DK for the win but warden is really close poor templar is last, but I love to playing one a lot.

Merry Christmas 🎄
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zos stated that in the past, DK is the best tank in the game
  • mobicera
    mobicera
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It honestly depends on what you want to do with it and what the group composition looks like.
  • JanTanhide
    JanTanhide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on your skill level with the class you play. I run two DK tanks. A friend runs a Necro tank and another friend a Warden. We have all completed the hardest Vet DLC HM boss fights with ease. So....pick one? Or two...lol.
  • Vildebill
    Vildebill
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd say DK and Warden are equally good in terms of toolkit, and the choice is about preference. I'm personally a huge Warden tank fan, but I know many that doesn't like frozen device (pull skill).

Never tried necro but their toolkit also looks decent.
    EU PC
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you can make everything work. The base taunt+block+survive is possible on every class.

Warden has more overall potential. Especially when it comes to buff+debuff+self heal+crowd control Warden shines, because of really good class skills and passives.
    Edited by Zodiarkslayer on December 26, 2020 1:54PM
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad no one is mentioning Templar.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »

Or nightblade, which was in the discussion not that long ago.

• defcon.dealer1b14_ESO
    defcon.dealer1b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    If going for a necro tank, opinions on which would be the best race to use? Thx
    I'm offended that ur offended....

PC NA
    PSN NA
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

That surely depends in part on the build you imagine. Necros have similar tanking virtues to Nords -- health, mitigation, ultimate generation. You could rely on particularly high amounts of those benefits, or you could choose any good tanking race EXCEPT Nord for balance, perhaps one that helps a little with Necros' weakness in sustain.
  • defcon.dealer1b14_ESO
    defcon.dealer1b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    @FrancisCrawford Sounds good, but the thing is I really do not have an exact build atm...just a general wat seems to be the overall 'best/more popular/most preferred' race for a necro tank.

I've been dps and a 'button smasher' hybrid...never a tank or healer.

PC NA
    PSN NA
  • Vildebill
    Vildebill
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Tank is probably the role that's least race dependant, but the ones that's most popular would be Nord, Breton, Argonian and Imperial, probably in that order-ish.

Even though Nord looks great on paper I'd personally take Breton over Nord due to the magicka sustain that's great for a tank.
    EU PC
  • meekmiko
    meekmiko
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Love my Templar Tank :)

Edited to add in: I've tried DK Tank, Sorc Tank, Necro Tank, and have a Warden Tank I'm working on gearing up to try out, but Templar is still the best in my opinion.
    Edited by meekmiko on December 26, 2020 8:09PM
    🌟PC/NA CP2025+ [Been playing since 2016]
    vMA / vVH / vDSA / vBRP / vAA HM / vSO HM / vHRC HM / vMoL HM / vHoF HM / vAS+1 & +1 / vCR+2 / vSS / vKA/ vRG
    • 🌩️ ⚔️ EP - Jessamine Seed-Nightrun, Dro-m'Athra Destroyer / Bosmer StamSorc (DPS) -Main DPS-
    • ☀️ 🛡️ EP - Mihi'Mai-Ra, Plague of Peryite / Khajiit StamPlar (Tank) -Main Tank-
    • ☀️ ✨ EP - Lady Lapa'au, The Magnanimous / Khajiit MagPlar (Healer) -Main Healer-
    • 🌩️ ☄️ EP - Ra'venk, Style Master / Khajiit MagSorc (DPS)
    • 🗡️ ⚔️ EP - Bird gra-Shuzgub, Forge Breaker / Orc StamBlade (DPS)
    • 🗡️ ✨ EP - Blades-at-the-Ready, Witch / Argonian MagBlade (Healer)
    • ☀️ ⚔️ EP - Lady Fortuna the Blessed, Grand Champion / Imperial StamPlar (DPS)
    • 🔥 🛡️ EP - Plays-in Volcanoes, Mystic / Argonian StamDK (Tank)
    • 💀 ☄️ EP - Ko'shamari the Doomweaver, Dovahkriid / Khajiit MagNecro (DPS)
    • 🌱 ✨ EP - Sorvete, Countess / Khajiit StamDen (Healer)
    • 🔥 🏹 EP - Falora Veloth, The Merciless / Dunmer StamDK (DPS)
    • 🌩️ 🛡️ AD - Shimmers-with-Static, Spark of Vengeance / Argonian StamSorc (Tank)
    • ☀️ ⚔️ EP - Amarri-do the Magnificent, Clan Mother / Khajiit StamPlar (DPS)
    • 🌩️ ⚔️ EP - Z'majii-dar the Quick, Battlegrounds Butcher / Khajiit StamSorc (DPS)
    • 🔥 ⚔️ EP - Habasi the Glamorous, Seeker of Artifacts / Khajiit StamDK (DPS)
    • ❄️ 🛡️ EP - Elísabet Skull-Smasher, Thane of Falkreath / Nord StamDen (Tank)
    • 🗡️ 🛡️ EP - Yana-la the Iron Lotus, Silver Knight / Khajiit StamBlade (Tank)
    • 👁️ ☄️ EP - Mog gra-Ushug the Scholar, Master Historian / Orc MagCanist (DPS)
    • 👁️ 🔨 EP - Mamaea the Sledgehammer, Alpha Predator / Khajiit StamCanist (DPS)
    • 👁️ 🏹 AD - Elsyiir Lichenhollow, Lady / Bosmer StamCanist (DPS)
    • & I only dabble on the PC/EU server sometimes
    • 🗡️ ⚔️ AD - Jessamine Seed-Nightrun / Bosmer StamBlade (DPS)
    • 🌩️ ⚔️ EP - Sings-a-Song-of-Storms / Argonian StamSorc (DPS)
    • 🗡️ ☄️ DC - Helainie the Shadebringer / Breton MagBlade (DPS)
    • 🌩️ ☄️ EP - Steals-Many-Hearts / Argonian MagSorc (DPS)
    • 🗡️ ⚔️ AD - Pashet the Nimble / Khajiit StamBlade (DPS)
    • 🔥 🏹☄️ EP - Furoni the Ember / Dunmer HybridDK (DPS)
    • 👁️ ☄️ EP - Am-Kesh / Argonian MagCanist (DPS)
    • 🔥 ⚔️ AD - Eldrinthr the Flame-Heart / Bosmer StamDK (DPS)
    • 👁️ ☄️ AD - Bajaa the Blackened Beast / Khajiit MagNecro (DPS)
    • 💀 ⚔️ AD - Vashpurri-do the Corrupt / Khajiit StamNecro (DPS)
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vildebill wrote: »

Tank is probably the role that's least race dependant, but the ones that's most popular would be Nord, Breton, Argonian and Imperial, probably in that order-ish.

Even though Nord looks great on paper I'd personally take Breton over Nord due to the magicka sustain that's great for a tank.

Breton is rarely listed so high in the rankings. It makes sense, as all three racial passives are good for tanking. Even so -- what changed to make them so popular?
  • Starlight_Whisper
    Starlight_Whisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ccfeeling wrote: »
    Zos stated that in the past, DK is the best tank in the game

When cause I think this never happened
  • Starlight_Whisper
    Starlight_Whisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DK cause everything is so cohesive as skills are cheap and tied together with it. Also come on magicka chain vs stamina chain.
  • Vildebill
    Vildebill
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vildebill wrote: »

Breton is rarely listed so high in the rankings. It makes sense, as all three racial passives are good for tanking. Even so -- what changed to make them so popular?

Not sure what you mean, does it make sense that Breton is rarely high listed due to three good for tanking racial passives? It sounds contradictory to me :)

I'm not really sure that anything has changed, magicka and magicka recovery has been important for tanks a long time, for example has two magicka recovery 1pc monster sets been popular many years. Many people stare blindly at the resistance and ultimate regeneration Nords have, but I personally think both are a little bit over rated. In trials warhorn rotation isn't that big of an issue in a coordinated group, and the resistance cap is easy to reach.

But like I mentioned earlier, race doesn't make thst big of a difference in tanking.
    EU PC
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    meekmiko wrote: »

Edited to add in: I've tried DK Tank, Sorc Tank, Necro Tank, and have a Warden Tank I'm working on gearing up to try out, but Templar is still the best in my opinion.

Hey since you play it I'm wondering. Does the Templar armor buff circle work well combined with Turn Undead?
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • defcon.dealer1b14_ESO
    defcon.dealer1b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Started a Nord DK......big change from what I've rolled since the beginning! I'm used to ghosting thing's fairly quickly......not with this dude though haha.

The health and survivability is a nice trade off.

I appreciate the opinions.

PC NA
    PSN NA
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    meekmiko wrote: »

Hey since you play it I'm wondering. Does the Templar armor buff circle work well combined with Turn Undead?

If you mean Restoring Focus, yes and no. I do use Turn Undead for my main stun/cc, but whether or not I'm able to stack different circles depends on the nature of the fight and how mobile I need to be. But when I've got all my circles going it's kind of adorable. Rune Focus + Extend Ritual + Turn Evil. If I like staying put in my circles I'll just Inner Rage + Silver Leash things to me... haha.
  • oscarovegren
    oscarovegren
    ✭✭✭
    Warden unless there is a warden healer, then DK
  • TwiceBornStar
    TwiceBornStar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Every class has a skill line which makes the class suitable for tanking. I hope I didn't spoil anything.

• zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every class has a skill line which makes the class suitable for tanking. I hope I didn't spoil anything.

Templars said hi. What tanking skill line.
    Edited by zvavi on December 31, 2020 2:06PM
  • TwiceBornStar
    TwiceBornStar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Was that a question or an answer? I'm not quite sure!
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was that a question or an answer? I'm not quite sure!

The answer. Templars don't have the toolkit to tank.