Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How does the damage return on Spiked Bone Shield and Blazing Shield work in PvP?

RiskyChalice863
RiskyChalice863
✭✭✭
So, I’m running a health-based heavy attack Templar build in PvP, and since the healing numbers on it are horrible, I’ve been thinking of deriving a good bit of my defense from health-based damage shields. After all, I can get more damage mitigation from a damage shield on this build than I can from heals.

A couple obvious candidates for this are Spiked Bone Shield and/or Blazing Shield. Both of these abilities have a damage return component to them that is based on a percent of the damage shield itself.

I have a couple questions about that damage-return component:

1. Is this damage return double-hit by Battle Spirit? The damage shields themselves are already 50% normal size because of Battle Spirit. Is the damage output then halved again, such that the actual possible damage output in PvP is one-fourth of what the tooltip would suggest? Or is Battle Spirit not applied to the damage return component again? For instance, let’s say my Spiked Bone Shield is 10,000 shields. In PvP, that would turn into a 5,000 damage shield. It is supposed to have 100% damage return. If an enemy damages through my Spiked Bone Shield damage shield in PvP, do they end up taking 5,000 damage, or is Battle Spirit applied again to the damage return such that it is actually 2,500?

2. Is there a range on the Spiked Bone Shield damage return? I seem to recall a patch at some point making this a melee-only damage return, but I don’t remember when. Am I right that it will only apply a damage return to attacks within close range?