The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

why ESO has no translation to other languages yet?

Icaruzs
Icaruzs
✭✭✭
South americans and asians mostly suffer with ESO not having at least subtitles for the game dialogs in their language.

I'm not a native english speaker, but i can understand and communicate pretty well in the game, but when i recommend this game to my other friends they quickly drop by level 10, because they can't understand what is being said, and it's rly frustrating

Other mmos and game even have dubbing in many languages like WOW.

There are addons that translate the game to other languages, but the translation is not that good, and newer content always takes months to get translated.

Come on ZOS, translating the game is not expensive, and ESO for sure loses a lot of players in many other countries because of that.
Edited by Icaruzs on December 21, 2020 5:03AM
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you consider the amount of text that is in the game? Translating every line of dialog is a lot of work, even if it's done as subtitles only. The translation can't be done by just anyone, either. You need someone with some knowledge of TES lore and at least superficial experience with the game and its stories, or the translations will be bad. Even in the English version, you can find some instances of bad voice acting due to insufficient coaching, like voice actors pronouncing names and places wrong and inconsistently, reading some words wrong, and inadvertently changing the meaning of what is being said by putting the stress on the wrong word. Such voice acting problems would not be an issue for a text-only translation, of course, but my point is that if it's hard to read right for a voice actor, it's also hard to translate right. It would not be cheap to translate this to, say, Spanish or Japanese, and I am quite sure ZOS have done the math and come to the conclusion that the additional customers they could attract would not be worth the money.
  • Daemons_Bane
    Daemons_Bane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A staggering amount of work..
  • Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Icaruzs wrote: »
    Come on ZOS, translating the game is not expensive
    Source?
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How much can you pay? :D
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you consider the amount of text that is in the game? Translating every line of dialog is a lot of work, even if it's done as subtitles only. The translation can't be done by just anyone, either. You need someone with some knowledge of TES lore and at least superficial experience with the game and its stories, or the translations will be bad. Even in the English version, you can find some instances of bad voice acting due to insufficient coaching, like voice actors pronouncing names and places wrong and inconsistently, reading some words wrong, and inadvertently changing the meaning of what is being said by putting the stress on the wrong word. Such voice acting problems would not be an issue for a text-only translation, of course, but my point is that if it's hard to read right for a voice actor, it's also hard to translate right. It would not be cheap to translate this to, say, Spanish or Japanese, and I am quite sure ZOS have done the math and come to the conclusion that the additional customers they could attract would not be worth the money.

IIRC there already is a Japanese version.
    As are German, French and recently Russian.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Icaruzs
    Icaruzs
    ✭✭✭

The game is going to 6 years and have 3 official languages avialiable (5 if japanese and russian). That is rly low for a game of the size of ESO.

About money, translating a game would generate more than enough to pay for itself. If not blizzard wouldn't translate and pay the dubbing in various languages not just in the game but in the cinematics too...

Just translating to chinese would generate a lot of money, and don't even live in there to know it...

The thing is that if more people play the game, higher income ZOS will make, and that translate to higher populations and better improvements to the game overall.
  • Grizzbeorn
    Grizzbeorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Edited by Grizzbeorn on December 21, 2020 12:02PM
      PC/NA Warden Main
    • LalMirchi
      LalMirchi
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Spanish is a huge language.

"the world's fourth-most spoken language, after English, Mandarin Chinese and Hindi."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_language

It does feel quite strange that ZOZ did not make a spanish translation.
    • AvalonRanger
      AvalonRanger
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Japanese version ESO has plenty of famous Japanese voice actor. Thus, it's very great acting.
      DMM company did great work. But, it looks like very expensive budget....Fortunately, there're lot of
      Bethesda Games fan in Japan. So, it's worth to do it.
      My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
      I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
      But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

2023/12/21
      By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
      Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".