The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Stam DK vs Mag DK

JesterOrNot
What is better for PvE and PvP and why? What sets should people be running in both environments?
  • UntouchableHunter
    UntouchableHunter
    ✭✭✭✭
    For pvp Stam for sure, you have access to Dzswing and Executioner. Skill cheaper and more stamina you can block and roll dodge more.
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For solo queued Battlegrounds, I'd definitely put Stamina ahead of Magicka for basically every class, DK included. But if you have a decent healer around, Mag DK is really strong. It may even end up being #1 offense-oriented Magicka class in that scenario. I still wouldn't put it ahead of Stam DK really, since securing kills can still be an issue, but the gap narrows somewhat.
  • DTStormfox
    DTStormfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    StamDK for 'easy' casual play.
    MagDK for 'hard' intense play.

StamDK simply is easier to play, in my opinion.
    MagDK has a steeper learning curve to play, in my opinion.
    Only responds to constructive replies/mentions

Immortal-Legends Guild Master
    Veteran PvP player

• I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DTStormfox wrote: »
    StamDK for 'easy' casual play.
    MagDK for 'hard' intense play.

StamDK simply is easier to play, in my opinion.
    MagDK has a steeper learning curve to play, in my opinion.

StamDK is easier, certainly survival is less of a problem.

But nothing compares with the MagDK setting the world on fire!
  • Joinovikova
    Joinovikova
    ✭✭✭✭
    What is better for PvE and PvP and why? What sets should people be running in both environments?

Stam is generally stonger, but mag dk is more fun to play from my point of view..
  • RiskyChalice863
    RiskyChalice863
    ✭✭✭
    I only have a MagDK so am probably not the best person to make a comparison, but I play a lot of BGs and I’ll definitely say I fear StamDKs much more than MagDKs. StamDK is perhaps the class I fear the most (with Stamdens and MagSorcs being at a similar level). Meanwhile, I don’t have any particular fear of MagDKs, even though I mostly play as a vampire, so I take more flame damage. MagDKs have some good aspects to them (Fossilize is really strong, Leap is great, etc.), but in general they tend to lack big burst and to be pretty squishy. StamDKs are much less squishy and have much bigger burst (two dizzying swings plus Leap—which is even better burst than you’d think since I find Dizzying Swing tends to desync).
  • Grimlok_S
    Grimlok_S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Context kind of matters for PvE and PvP.

Are you running solo content, small groups, or stacking 12-mans?

IMO DKs don't scale too well once you're past 4-6 members or so. Though, magdks can fill support roles in larger groups,

Personally I find both really fun to play. Leap just feels great when it casts/lands correctly.

Stam generally has better mobility and sustain, Mag can fix mobility concerns via the Psijiic skill Race Against Time and morphs.

MagDK has some of the most expensive class skills in the game, so sustain is usually your biggest battle there.

Overall, stam is generally easier to play and more forgiving. Mag is rewarding, but harder to master.
    Light Attack Hero

Class context
    Stamplar
    StamDK
    Stamsorc
    MagDK
    StamMAGStamden
    Magplar
    Stam NB
    Bomb NB
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PVE, i would guess it depends on the role you'd like to play...tank: stam dk, healer or dps: mag dk

a couple of folks above nailed it regarding PVP...if you wanna relax, have some fun on your stam dk...if you wanna have a little more excitement go in with your mag dk...

as far as sets, definitely a wide range of options...one of the most fun things about this game is trying out different set combos on different toons...

I don't do trials, arenas, DLC dungeons, or go digging for the mythics...so my gear sets are pretty basic...

currently on one stam dk I'm wearing: sellistrex, eternal vigor and plague doctor...I mostly pvp, but the character is currently set up for dungeons...

on another stam dk I have bloodspawn, seventh legion and new moon acolyte...this toon is also a werewolf...

on my mag dk I'm wearing valkyn skoria, julianos and silks of the sun...they're set up as a vamp...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place