The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Pets are STILL targetable in PvP?

Weesacs
Weesacs
✭✭✭✭
Really?

This nonsense hasn't been changed yet??

Engine guardian
Blastbones
Matriarchs
Etc

Sigh ...
High Elf Templar
PS4 - EU - DC
Over 37,500 Achievements!
  • Grimlok_S
    Grimlok_S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Engine guardian would be a little strong if you couldn't interrupt it to starve the user.. Sames goes for killing the Bird.

I'm on the fence about BB.
    Light Attack Hero

Class context
    Stamplar
    StamDK
    Stamsorc
    MagDK
    StamMAGStamden
    Magplar
    Stam NB
    Bomb NB
  • Weesacs
    Weesacs
    ✭✭✭✭
    I understand some players like to interrupt .. thats fine ... however give those that don't a pet target toggle.

Win win
    High Elf Templar
    PS4 - EU - DC
  • Grimlok_S
    Grimlok_S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would mean missing out on a lot of opportunity for counterplay. Have you tried tab targetting?
    Light Attack Hero

Class context
    Stamplar
    StamDK
    Stamsorc
    MagDK
    StamMAGStamden
    Magplar
    Stam NB
    Bomb NB
  • dinokstrunz
    dinokstrunz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Engine guardian needs to die on interrupt or stop following the user after being interrupted, it's a pretty annoying body blocker. Make pets take normal damage and remove the irritating teleporting around it looks so stupid. There you go ZoS.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weesacs wrote: »
    I understand some players like to interrupt .. thats fine ... however give those that don't a pet target toggle.

Win win

What?

How on earth would that work, a toggle to turn off an element of a another classes skillline.

It's like saying have a toggle to turn down Templar healing or see night blades.

Pets have pros and cons, and adapting your play is the way around the pros
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Weesacs
    Weesacs
    ✭✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »

Win win

What?

How on earth would that work, a toggle to turn off an element of a another classes skillline.

It's like saying have a toggle to turn down Templar healing or see night blades.

Eh? Lol I don't mean turn the pets abilities off ... I mean the hard targeting of them.

They did it for the maw of the inferno helm so they can do it for the other pets.
    High Elf Templar
    PS4 - EU - DC
  • Weesacs
    Weesacs
    ✭✭✭✭
    Grimlok_S wrote: »
    That would mean missing out on a lot of opportunity for counterplay. Have you tried tab targetting?

Firstly im on console so it's not easy to target.

Secondly, how is that supposed to work when you're in a BG with all these pets around and you want to hard target an enemy however those with the pet just need to aim?

Thirdly, players hide behind their pets ... lets not try and say they don't ... for the extra mitigation. What about us who don't use pets?

Lastly, the game is predominantly a aim target game, that's what makes the combat fast and dynamic ... lets leave hard tab targeting to other games.
    Edited by Weesacs on December 19, 2020 4:27PM
    High Elf Templar
    PS4 - EU - DC
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zenimax,
    please make pets untargettable.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Win win

Interrupting would be skilled gameplay. As such it does not make sense to give players a toggle to make it easier for them if they choose to play using a lower level of player skill.
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gilvoth wrote: »
    zenimax,

So mag sorcs can run around with a heal/ dmg matriarch with zero counter play to it??? Hmmmm
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Win win

What?

Eh? Lol I don't mean turn the pets abilities off ... I mean the hard targeting of them.

They did it for the maw of the inferno helm so they can do it for the other pets.

@Weesacs yeah I know.
    Targeting is a benefit of running a pet. It's part defence. It's intended.

There are downsides of running pets. And plus sides. A plus is LOS mitigation.

How on earth do you think a toggle , for some players to avoid an advantage or a skill would work?

Xbox One | EU | EP
    Alts - - for the Lolz

Xbox One | NA | EP
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

Win win

Interrupting would be skilled gameplay. As such it does not make sense to give players a toggle to make it easier for them if they choose to play using a lower level of player skill.

@idk, spot on.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Alts - - for the Lolz

Xbox One | NA | EP
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syiccal wrote: »
    Gilvoth wrote: »
    zenimax,

So mag sorcs can run around with a heal/ dmg matriarch with zero counter play to it??? Hmmmm

Exactly.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Alts - - for the Lolz

Xbox One | NA | EP
  • Weesacs
    Weesacs
    ✭✭✭✭

Win win

What?

@Weesacs yeah I know.

How on earth do you think a toggle , for some players to avoid an advantage or a skill would work?

Is it intended though? Does the item or skill tooltip explicitly state that they can be used as a form of LoS mitigation? I could list quite a few things that I'm sure aren't intended in this game.

Listen, I'm not blaming the player here, if people want to stand behind thier pets and use them as a form of defence that's up to them however as I stated earlier, attempting to hard target a player on console while loads of pet's are running around is hard work and isn't fair ... in the meantime the pet user doesn't have the added action of having to target you.

We probably just have to agree to disagree on this. I'm confident that ZoS will give us a pet target toggle in the future, or at least remove the targeting of most, if not all pets.

They have done it with a few pets in the recent history (maw if the inferno as an example) so I'll be watching intently and fighting the cause until something changes.
    Edited by Weesacs on December 19, 2020 9:22PM
    High Elf Templar
    PS4 - EU - DC
  • Weesacs
    Weesacs
    ✭✭✭✭

Win win

Yes I agree, interrupting is skilled game play however hard targeting shouldn't be.
    High Elf Templar
    PS4 - EU - DC
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Win win

Yes I agree, interrupting is skilled game play however hard targeting shouldn't be.

Hard targeting?

Whatever. Pretty sure Zos will not introduce such a toggle.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Win win

What?

@Weesacs yeah I know.

Is it intended though? Does the item or skill tooltip explicitly state that they can be used as a form of LoS mitigation? I could list quite a few things that I'm sure aren't intended in this game.

Their comment comes from specific changes Zos has made which made it clear it is intended that we can kill pets in PvP. That means they can be targeted which also means as a side effect we can end up targeting the pets instead of the player.
  • Weesacs
    Weesacs
    ✭✭✭✭

Win win

Hard targeting?

Hard targeting, tab targeting, lock targeting ... potato potato.

They may well not introduce a toggle target option however it won't stop me trying for one and highlighting just how bad combat is for players who need to play around them on console when there are a plethora of them in front of you.
    High Elf Templar
    PS4 - EU - DC
  • Weesacs
    Weesacs
    ✭✭✭✭

Win win

What?

@Weesacs yeah I know.

Their comment comes from specific changes Zos has made which made it clear it is intended that we can kill pets in PvP. That means they can be targeted which also means as a side effect we can end up targeting the pets instead of the player.

I have never intentionally wanted to kill an engine guardian or blastbones with an ultimate ... obviously those players exist according to ZoS.
    Edited by Weesacs on December 19, 2020 11:46PM
    High Elf Templar
    PS4 - EU - DC
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Win win

Hard targeting?

Hard targeting, tab targeting, lock targeting ... potato potato.

They may well not introduce a toggle target option however it won't stop me trying for one and highlighting just how bad combat is for players who need to play around them on console when there are a plethora of them in front of you.

We do not have hard tab targetting in ESO so I fail to see the point in bringing something up that is irrelevent.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Win win

What?

@Weesacs yeah I know.

I have never intentionally wanted to kill an engine guardian or blastbones with an ultimate ... obviously those players exist according to ZoS.

Potatoes potatoes, I was just pointing out Zos already made clear what you suggested they had not.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Win win

What?

@Weesacs yeah I know.

If you aren't dropping meteors on pets you are dropping meteors wrong. Pet's can't block, so they pretty much guarantee you will get a stun om any players close to the meteor hit.

Plus, killing a sorc pet takes away one of their damaging or healing abilities and forces them to waste time recasting.

And killing a blast bones before it gets to you is an extremely effective way to not get hit by a blast bones.

There is a reason pets are targetable. So you can kill them.
    Edited by jaws343 on December 20, 2020 4:45AM
  • Aedaryl
    Aedaryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imagine being a pet sorc this patch :trollface: (yes I left)

Make pets untargetable for sure !
    Edited by Aedaryl on December 20, 2020 5:04PM
  • NinchiTV
    NinchiTV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Petsorc is [snip] dead, and should be untargetable just so it can have a chance to see the light of play again. You can sneeze on it and it dies. Ya the sorc streaks and summons it again, so what? Kill it again and bash the summon EZ. I know petsorcs touched a lot of you in a no no spot so you dont wanna see them playable again, but if this meta stays next patch it absolutely needs a buff in staying alive (be it shield/health or cant be targeted) to be semi relevant.

[Edited to remove Profanity]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on December 21, 2020 3:10PM
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Engine guardian would be a little strong if you couldn't interrupt it to starve the user.. Sames goes for killing the Bird.

BB is targetable so you have counterplay....destroy, stun, etc. Why a burst skill needs so many more counters than any other damage skill? Who knows...

I'm on the fence about Sorc pets. Good players kill the pets pretty fast. I'd probably be better off if they were immortal. Pet sorc is dead this patch, like any other mag class so it doesn't matter.
  • AyaDark
    AyaDark
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What skilled play are you talking about ?

There is no such thing in TESO pvp.

You can not hit target that you tab, can not bash, some attacks always go random targets, you even do not see attacks that hits you, becouse of sceeps and ping/bug.

Skilled play ?

Skilled play do not let stand in bear 🐻 model, and make all skills go to bear.

If target work correct targetable/untargetable pets will not even be a problem, but correct target is broken for 1-2 years and DO NOT WORK !

When i try attack tabed target i some times strike rarget that is far behind me !!! That i do not even see on my screen !!!

Skilled play ? Thats why we want pets be untargetable, because target DO NOT WORK 2 years !!!

And no hope it will be fixed, so any changes that let you strike not pets will be good, and if daedrot was made untargetable, we have small hope !

Because we even have not any hope that they fix targeting ! Or if they fix, that they will not breake it again with the first small update !

Skilles did not work for years !

Thats why we already have no hope that they fix targeting.
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In PVP , better make it untargetable , players won't have fun to catch the master in the crowd .

Bash the EG in PVP fast pace movement , no kidding .
  • Weesacs
    Weesacs
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bashing EG is very situational and isn't feasible most of the time.

I've had loads of situations where I have an enemy in my sights, and as I pressed my skill an EG appears and it gets hit ... particularly playing ranged. EG is targetable the second it appears as a ball so provides mitigation straight away ... it's not as if there is any cue implying its being created ... in this situation how the hell am I supposed to counter this and play 'skillful' when it appears just as im targeting and firing my skill?

Not only does this waste my resources it also wastes game play.

It's complete nonsense and has to change IMO and I'm confident it will.

People seem to be getting salty about sorcs pets ... OK I understand that ... therefore as a happy medium I'd happily accept EG and blastbones at least being non targetable and leaving sorcs pets and wardens bear as is.

High Elf Templar
    PS4 - EU - DC
  • Weesacs
    Weesacs
    ✭✭✭✭
    katorga wrote: »

BB is targetable so you have counterplay....destroy, stun, etc. Why a burst skill needs so many more counters than any other damage skill? Who knows...

Well allegedly, as stated in this thread, ZoS has already said in the past that pets have to be targetable ... even though some aren't 🤔

Either they are or they aren't. Unless someone provides me with a source from ZoS that explicitly lists what pet's are targetable and which are not then I'm still sitting on that fence on whether this is intended or not.
    High Elf Templar
    PS4 - EU - DC
  • RiskyChalice863
    RiskyChalice863
    ✭✭✭
    Just played a BG where seemingly everyone on the other teams had matriarchs, clannfears, bears, engine guardian, blastbones, and atronachs. It was literally impossible to target anything. I had a moment where I was trying to attack someone who was maybe 8 meters away and there were actually 5 targetable pets between the two of us.

The problem I have with this is that I don’t really think the abilities are balanced with this in mind. In PvP, having a targetable pet (which all seem to have massive damage reduction in PvP) is a massive benefit. It’s like actually probably akin to a 20-30% damage reduction, particularly on maps with tighter quarters. The pets either should be untargetable or the abilities/items that create the targetable pets should be massively gutted of power in PvP specifically, so that they aren’t wildly overtuned based on the ridiculous effect of making it really hard to target your actual opponent.

Either that or take away whatever damage reduction pets have in PvP. They basically won’t die in PvP. I’m not sure what damage reduction they get but it’s absolutely enormous, because I do things to them that melt actual players and it barely makes a dent on any pet. It might be okay for pets to be targetable if I could actually kill them. But they’re so hard to kill that damaging them is basically just pure damage reduction for the opponent with no plausible upside for the attacking player.