Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ESO+ should give option to buy some gem items directly

Araneae6537
Araneae6537
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I am already paying you regularly so why cannot I not have the option to pay you additional money to directly by costumes, emotes, pets and any furnishings I want? You can keep the apex mounts — isn’t that what people like to gamble for? I just want to have a variety of costumes, hairstyles and emotes that I like and the occasional non-flashy pet or somewhat flashier furnishing for my dwellings. I refuse to buy Crown Crates because I don’t want to be stuck with junk I don’t want like drinking beer from a boot and many of the mounts for that matter. I find everything about the way they are set up to be insulting to me as a paying customer. Honestly, this bothers me more than occasional bugs (I haven’t encountered game breaking ones) because it is a deliberate decision to not give us any options to buy these items outside of gamble crates. So we finally get another hairstyle but it is locked behind crates. It is probably irrational that it upsets me, but that is how I feel, and the whole point of a game is the fun and good feelings it can bring you. I love this game and appreciate all the work that has gone into creating this beautiful world and the characters and stories therein. I am happy to pay for a game I enjoy playing and to pay extra for cosmetics I like.

TL;DR Please consider making items up to legendary purchaseable with Crowns for ESO+ subscribers. You could make it a prepaid non-refundable sub to prevent people from signing up and then canceling.
Edited by Araneae6537 on December 10, 2020 8:42PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even after purchasing a couple items over the years i still have over 700 gems on both servers that I got for free. The crates we get for watching streams when crates are active grant items that can beg exchanged for gems.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Even after purchasing a couple items over the years i still have over 700 gems on both servers that I got for free. The crates we get for watching streams when crates are active grant items that can beg exchanged for gems.

I’m not on Twitch and anyway, I’ve heard from many people that far more crates were given away in the past for all sorts of things, including free ESO+ weeks, but that was all before I started playing in July 2019. So I guess I am SoL.

I would further add to my suggestion that the items could be offered for sale AFTER the crate season ends. Some are, but far too few and too rarely. I wouldn’t mind being rewarded for patience as well as loyalty as a paying customer.
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS is leaving money on the table, that is not the correct way to do business.
  • Wolf81
    Wolf81
    ✭✭✭
    They just need better marketing options...ya know like a two-person Netch mount, or sorcerer pet skins to look like those female atronachs.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wolf81 wrote: »
    They just need better marketing options...ya know like a two-person Netch mount, or sorcerer pet skins to look like those female atronachs.

No, some people don’t or can’t buy gamble crates at all. I won’t buy them because of how they’re set up (being stuck with whatever you get until you get duplicates). It wouldn’t matter what was in them; there have been things that I wanted but it only makes me feel bitter, not buy crates. I do try to refocus on what I can obtain and do and enjoy in game when ZOS doesn’t want money beyond my sub. :confused:
    Raideen wrote: »

Agreed! I get that people buying stacks of these things must be how they make a great deal of money. I just can’t help but think there would be a way to make additional, like if it wasn’t the really rare items and you couldn’t directly buy the newest — plenty of people want the newest and flashiest, don’t they? I am begging for common items, new or old! :disappointed: In other MMORPGs I’ve played there was very little that could only be obtained through crates and not either bought directly from the store or from other players.
    Edited by Araneae6537 on December 11, 2020 7:07AM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raideen wrote: »

I have not seen their books but they seem to have some talented marketing people. I expect they are the better judge than any of us of whether making crown crates an almost exclusive source of gems or selling some gems straight up provides better revenue.
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I’m not on Twitch and anyway, I’ve heard from many people that far more crates were given away in the past for all sorts of things, including free ESO+ weeks, but that was all before I started playing in July 2019. So I guess I am SoL.

I would further add to my suggestion that the items could be offered for sale AFTER the crate season ends. Some are, but far too few and too rarely. I wouldn’t mind being rewarded for patience as well as loyalty as a paying customer.

I started playing around the same time as well, and I've missed a lot of old stuff too. I'd love for them to start bringing things back to the store - there are hairstyles that have been unavailable since around 2017!

But as to the Twitch thing, it's totally worth it. I thought that it would be something too out there for me, but I finally made an account at Twitch a few months ago (it's free and I can completely ignore it unless they have drops on), and now I can get those free drops. And I'm not gonna lie, I've started to check out when my guild's streaming and join in sometimes for funsies. Yeah, it's not much, but I can set up my phone on low volume next to me while I'm playing or doing work, ignore it, and still get some crates from it. That's about 1-3 a weekend or so, and each crate gives me about 4-5 gems. Not much, but it's something at least. And then there's the announcements that get everyone free pets just for having it on as well.

But yes, more things for sale in the store! I know they're relying on FOMO to drive sales, but there's so much we've missed out on by now. How much money did they make from limited availability versus how much could they make by not letting this stuff collect dust on a shelf?
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I started playing around the same time as well, and I've missed a lot of old stuff too. I'd love for them to start bringing things back to the store - there are hairstyles that have been unavailable since around 2017!

But as to the Twitch thing, it's totally worth it. I thought that it would be something too out there for me, but I finally made an account at Twitch a few months ago (it's free and I can completely ignore it unless they have drops on), and now I can get those free drops. And I'm not gonna lie, I've started to check out when my guild's streaming and join in sometimes for funsies. Yeah, it's not much, but I can set up my phone on low volume next to me while I'm playing or doing work, ignore it, and still get some crates from it. That's about 1-3 a weekend or so, and each crate gives me about 4-5 gems. Not much, but it's something at least. And then there's the announcements that get everyone free pets just for having it on as well.

But yes, more things for sale in the store! I know they're relying on FOMO to drive sales, but there's so much we've missed out on by now. How much money did they make from limited availability versus how much could they make by not letting this stuff collect dust on a shelf?

Thank you for the information! You’ve convinced me it may be worth it, especially since the items I generally want are less expensive anyway. :)

And I agree — limited time sales make sense but it’s baffling to me how long some things remain unavailable!
  • stefj68
    stefj68
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    100 gems per month doesnt seems too much!