The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

3rd place teams focusing 2nd place teams...

kingsforged
kingsforged
✭✭✭
Stop... just stop.

It's so painful to watch last place teams constantly throwing matches by aimlessly zerging the first thing they see... you're just helping 1st place teams win. That's it. That's all you're achieving.

The moment 1 team gets a clear lead, BOTH teams should be focusing them. It's simple, it's obvious, it's just common sense...
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends, sometimes folks just want to get their daily bonus (requires first or second place).

Or maybe, deathmatch, the first place team is tanky or has a really good healer, at that point you need to focus the other team and try and get kills on them to try and close the gap.

There are plenty of times like these when it would make sense for the third place team to attack the second place team, but as you said, there's also loads of folks who have no idea what they're doing and just smashing buttons at whatever moves.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • Jierdanit
    Jierdanit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stop... just stop.

It's so painful to watch last place teams constantly throwing matches by aimlessly zerging the first thing they see... you're just helping 1st place teams win. That's it. That's all you're achieving.

The moment 1 team gets a clear lead, BOTH teams should be focusing them. It's simple, it's obvious, it's just common sense...

If i am just going for my daily bonus, that is exactly what i will do, since i dont care if i get in first, but just want to not get last.

So i am rather going to attack the team in 2nd place that has a 50 point lead over my team than try to stop the team in first place that has 200 points advantage from winning.
    PC/EU, StamSorc Main
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I only have one character that needed anything from the alliance for skill lines so I haven’t done many battlegrounds. This is a good thing because I really hate them but that’s beside the point.

I will try my best even if it seems utterly futile but I think you need to understand the mindset of players that may be targeting second-place groups. First and foremost, most of them do not want to be there. They are looking for transmutation crystals, alliance points and style pages. That’s pretty much it. They’re not doing the matches because they enjoy them, they are doing them because the game puts things they need in stupid places in a futile attempt to bring more players from PVE into the tiny pool of battlegrounds players

It is very easy in battlegrounds to become hopelessly demoralised, to see one group of players so much better than your own it seems futile even to try. Under such circumstances, given that anything but last place for you is practically impossible, it ends up being quicker to hamstring the second place team in order to allow the first place team to win more quickly and therefore get the battleground over sooner. They put up with lower rewards in exchange for getting the pain over, just like ripping off a plaster.

I would not blame them for this, rather I would blame which ever narrow minded person designed the reward structure. Because the current setup does not take account of human nature. If a prize feels out of reach and the task feels onerous people will naturally go for a lower reward that involves less effort.

Edited by Integral1900 on December 6, 2020 11:56AM
  • kingsforged
    kingsforged
    ✭✭✭
    Jierdanit wrote: »
    Stop... just stop.

If i am just going for my daily bonus, that is exactly what i will do, since i dont care if i get in first, but just want to not get last.

So i am rather going to attack the team in 2nd place that has a 50 point lead over my team than try to stop the team in first place that has 200 points advantage from winning.

Except if you're at THIS point, you've already NOT been focusing them and playing badly :D

Also by focusing 2nd place you're just shortening the amount of time you have to try and get to 2nd place...

If you've already blown it, just sit it out.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stop... just stop.

Except if you're at THIS point, you've already NOT been focusing them and playing badly :D

Also by focusing 2nd place you're just shortening the amount of time you have to try and get to 2nd place...

That's not quite true though. Often the reason the first place team has a huge lead is because the other two teams keep throwing themselves at them and dying repeatedly. I've won plenty of matches by avoiding the better team and fighting only the worse one. In deathmatch, it ensures my team gets kills and the team in first doesn't.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stop... just stop.

Plus, if you can't hold second place because the third place team is attacking you, take your own advice and sit it out.
  • DTStormfox
    DTStormfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is only logical if one team is stronger than the other, the weakest team will focus the team that poses the least resistance.
    Only responds to constructive replies/mentions

Immortal-Legends Guild Master
    Veteran PvP player

• redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sounds like solid strategy to me. Not every team has a goal of getting first place or nothing. Aiming for second place can be perfectly valid in some situations, depending on your goals.

It's important to realize that not every player has the same goals and playstyles as well as skill level. If I know my team will get stomped by first place, but we can get second, you can be sure that will be my strategy. Call me a bad player if you want, but take the advice of the poster above. If you're in second and getting stomped by third place, maybe you should just sit out.
  • Kordai
    Kordai
    ✭✭✭
    I just find that the team with less players just gets focused by everybody. And ofc because there is nearly always a team with less than 4 players, they are the target.
  • Foto1
    Foto1
    ✭✭✭✭
    I only have one character that needed anything from the alliance for skill lines so I haven’t done many battlegrounds. This is a good thing because I really hate them but that’s beside the point.

I will try my best even if it seems utterly futile but I think you need to understand the mindset of players that may be targeting second-place groups. First and foremost, most of them do not want to be there. They are looking for transmutation crystals, alliance points and style pages. That’s pretty much it. They’re not doing the matches because they enjoy them, they are doing them because the game puts things they need in stupid places in a futile attempt to bring more players from PVE into the tiny pool of battlegrounds players

It is very easy in battlegrounds to become hopelessly demoralised, to see one group of players so much better than your own it seems futile even to try. Under such circumstances, given that anything but last place for you is practically impossible, it ends up being quicker to hamstring the second place team in order to allow the first place team to win more quickly and therefore get the battleground over sooner. They put up with lower rewards in exchange for getting the pain over, just like ripping off a plaster.

I would not blame them for this, rather I would blame which ever narrow minded person designed the reward structure. Because the current setup does not take account of human nature. If a prize feels out of reach and the task feels onerous people will naturally go for a lower reward that involves less effort.

Transmutes are much easier to farm in random normal. also BG gives bonus experience. honestly, i would be glad if zos deleted it
    PC/EU CP 1200+
    Artaxerks stamina dk khajiit
    Wayna Qhapaq magicka dk argonian
    Rorekur stamina sorc orc
    Maria de Medici magicka sorc breton
    Cordeilla stamina warden wood elf
    Quienn Gwendolen magicka warden high elf
    Nefertari stamina necro khajiit
    Boadicea Icenian magicka templar dark elf
    Clarice de Medici healer nb breton